What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to remove female molex pins

RudeDogg1

Registered
Does anyone have any tips on removing female molex pins (0.062”) without trashing the housing? I’ve even bought one of the expensive removal tools but it don’t seem to want to slide over the connector which I’m sure it’s meant to. I’m reluctant to add extreme force yet incase it breaks the tool. Was hoping someone might have some pointers I’m sure I’m not doing it wrong. Unless it’s a case the connectors are to splayed to fit it maybe?

22C43F1B-66D4-48BB-A9F8-1196E9C21670.jpeg

I had to do this recently for my BSD. So for me I ended up using something simular but was a cheaper alternative.

Tool.JPG

The top tool wouldn't fit in the same fashion your tool didn't. The second tool (circled poorly) is the one I ended up using to apply pressure from the sides to get it to recede back into the hole.

The tool is cheap and was bending by the end of it but it got the pin out to correct the voltage I had on my BSD.

These ones work the best for me. Make sure you get the right size!

Screenshot_20220128-163534_eBay.jpg

Everything else is effectively an expensive tube.

Just to recap I won’t be buying another one already have the top one and a cheap set that broke after 5 crimps. So it’s cost me £30 already this week without the top tool

I just use 2 heavy duty staples straightened out but only because I rarely do it.

I have one like that, it was always too lose or too tight to fit over.
The ones recommended by Davey are perfect, It needs to be snug.

I have had some success removing these using small flat jewellers screwdrivers to flatten the two tangs securing the pin (which are at 90 deg to the seem), whilst gently pulling it out, you'll need 3 hands! The issue is if you get it wrong first time you can deform the pin to oval and then that's holding it in too, then I resort to completely deforming it and wiggling the wire end until it breaks in the middle.

If I had to do again I would invest in the tool stumblor recommends above, after all it's getting up to 24 uses per connector, which is more than a lot of my tools get!

If this is the one you need a 2.06mm insert https://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/1501811020_sd.pdf

Back
Top Bottom