What's new

House Hunting

Pauline and I have been viewing properties around the north east for the last 6 months. The key was having a big enough room which would be the games room. Some have had ideal space but it would have been a money pit to get it right. Some have just been out of our price range. We've also viewed a couple of churches.

Then we viewed a house a couple of weeks ago which caught Pauline's eye. It's not ideal for an arcade but after we looked around it, she was like a giddy little school girl. She loved it. And it certainly would make a beautiful "home".

I've lived on my own for 20 years now. I live in an arcade. I think it's time I compromised and changed my priorities. We put in an offer and she was actually losing sleep because we hadn't heard anything. She loves this house so much. And then a couple of days later, we got word that the offer was accepted. She nearly exploded!

We can extend a little out the back and I'll maybe have a bit of an arcade. One or 2 machines may have to be sacrificed but, we'll see.......

We watched the 80’s film Money Pit before putting in an offer but it isn’t so funny some days.

Thats funny we did the same when trying to buy a 200 year old house that needed foundations .thankfully that never happened.
As someone said above ,MAINTENANCE is a killer on any sort of non housing estate house.
We love gardening and have a half acre ,I wouldn't fancy maintaining anything more than that by myself.

Agree, our 150 year barn, always needs something fixing, replacing

Hopefully this inspires you Rob and not put you off but here’s what we took on. Definitely not for risk adverse people as there was a touch of ‘going all in’ to do it (albeit a calculated risk!) but it worked out well. We kept the circled bit as our house and the other 4 we developed and sold on. This has reminded me I need to get another panoramic photo now it’s all done to sit beside this one in my office. I got this taken when we’d had been on site about a week

818D5A55-7E47-4C35-8300-E0C4ED7A3306.jpeg

That is epic Jmac! I’m not afraid of the work involved...it’s more the day to day liveability and reality of heating a large open space that’s a bit of a concern.

fec647c9f39f88d206de7a7533319f2f.jpg

Maintenance. When we moved in, we didn’t know for sure that this path existed. I spent a week cutting it out and found the retaining wall in a poor state and then more collapsed over the years. So yesterday we started learning how to rebuild them.

If anyone is looking in my neck of the woods, there is plenty of space for a fair sized pinball collection in here (plus room to build a pinshack):
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-81364540.html

We actually considered it when it first came up for sale 3 years ago from being a hotel, but decided we were too happy where we already are :)

And @Rob zombie, how did it go with that house, have you made a decision yet?

We finished rebuilding that wall, not bad for a first go and we learnt a lot for the next ones.IMG_7055.JPG

And @Rob zombie, how did it go with that house, have you made a decision yet?

It’s still an option but we’re going to keep looking for something that ticks more boxes. Funnily enough one of those houses next to the chapel in the row your friend lives was up for sale and we really liked it. Phoned up to arrange a viewing but someone had put an offer in that morning (it had been up for sale for a year...bloody typical). Everything we’ve had our eye on seems to be selling rapidly at the moment. Might wait a few more months for it to quieten down a bit.

Back
Top Bottom