What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High score etiquette

mike381

Registered
Hi all,
Just going through the process of buying my first pin, stupidly excited! Had a trivial thought though, what do I do with the current high scores? Battle it out with a potentially crazy high pro score or wipe it clean and beat my own bests. Is there a high score etiquette when buying a new pin? I almost like the idea of the past owner keeping a bit of a legacy on my new machine.

Totally your choice as its your game :D Personally I do a full factory reset on every game I get and then set it up from there.

Do you know what pin your getting? And introduce yourself in the new members thread if you haven't already :thumb: Welcome to the forum.

Cheers, I introduced on the new members thread a short while back but have been lurking about in the background ever since. I seem to following quite a similar path to RudeDogg. I've been taking forever to decide and over analysing pros and cons.

Decided to go for a cheap and cheerful Street Fighter 2 to get me started. Hopefully arriving next week!

Really fancied the Whirlwind on eBay, one of my favourites and I've not seen it available very often. But maybe that can be a future ambition...

Whirlwind is a great game, used to have one myself. Good choice with the SF2 though, great first pin :thumb:

Cheers, I introduced on the new members thread a short while back but have been lurking about in the background ever since. I seem to following quite a similar path to RudeDogg. I've been taking forever to decide and over analysing pros and cons.

Decided to go for a cheap and cheerful Street Fighter 2 to get me started. Hopefully arriving next week!

Really fancied the Whirlwind on eBay, one of my favourites and I've not seen it available very often. But maybe that can be a future ambition...

what you trying to say? :redface:

Haha, that we are quite alike? Like to make the right choice? Feel like I'm digging a hole here.

I to am after my first machine. I find myself looking on here a few times a day. Still not sure what to go for 100% I think it will be a JP for nostalgic reasons as i would like a film based machine. Sold my house and moving to rented house as havent seen another we like which is also a pain.

Guys,

Welcome to you all to our little part of the interweb. It's not massive (ooer misses), however we're mostly a happy helpful bunch if we can be :)

Personally I wipe it clean - Factory reset, and then go through the settings to make sure they aren't set on hard (i like to easy myself in gently on new machines!)..

I'm sure whatever you fancy it'll turn out ok - Remember to be careful of Ebay sharks - the one thing I would say would be that you would get more likely to get a better and more "reliable" deal on here!!!

Have fun!
Paul

I to am after my first machine. I find myself looking on here a few times a day. Still not sure what to go for 100% I think it will be a JP for nostalgic reasons as i would like a film based machine. Sold my house and moving to rented house as havent seen another we like which is also a pain.

From my point of view I found the constant hunt for the right machine at the right price was never ending. I decided on a pin that
I'd enjoy playing,
was recently shopped so hopefully not to many issues anytime soon (i'm still learning the more techy side of things),
And was well under my budget.

I've got a feeling this hobby is quickly going to become very addictive so at least if I decide in a few months I didn't get the perfect pin for me or see something else I like along the way I still have some cash to play around with.

Good luck with the search!

Keep the high scores! Gives you something to pit yourself against. If you ever manage to wipe the scores of Martin Ayab etc then you know you've done REALLY well.

Picked up a Flintstones last year and took great joy in quickly getting onto the high score table within the first few plays. However my euphoria was slightly dented when I then discovered that it had been sited in a kids nursery. To make matters worse I STILL haven't beaten the top score. If I ever meet that 3 Yr old, he's getting a real pasting......:frusty:

From my point of view I found the constant hunt for the right machine at the right price was never ending. I decided on a pin that
I'd enjoy playing,
was recently shopped so hopefully not to many issues anytime soon (i'm still learning the more techy side of things),
And was well under my budget.

I've got a feeling this hobby is quickly going to become very addictive so at least if I decide in a few months I didn't get the perfect pin for me or see something else I like along the way I still have some cash to play around with.

Good luck with the search!

"I've got a feeling this hobby is quickly going to become very addictive"
Its worse than crack cocain. :wackoz:

"I've got a feeling this hobby is quickly going to become very addictive"
Its worse than crack cocain. :wackoz:

Haha, it's so bad! Sf2 is being delivered on Wednesday and yet I still found myself browsing around this evening for another pin I could get within the budget.

Gutted Whirlwind went for cheaper than i'd expected, would have snapped it right up! More than happy with sf2 though to be fair, can't wait to get playing.

Keep the high scores! Gives you something to pit yourself against. If you ever manage to wipe the scores of Martin Ayab etc then you know you've done REALLY well.

I think I'll give it a shot, I'm sure if I'm nowhere near topping it a week or so later I'll wipe em clean. Anything to get my name in lights!

Haha they're training them young these days, preschool pinball fast-track.

Back
Top Bottom