What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi! (New here) - Need help with plastics location on Funhouse

Funhouse71

Registered
Hi All!

I'm new here, based in Essex in the UK. I've recently picked up my first pinball, a Williams Funhouse back in October last year. I'm planning on doing a full restore and in the middle of repainting the cabinet and applying the graphics.

Just recently I put a new set of plastics on the playfield and noticed in some pics on the web that by the left hand STEPS wire ramp there is a double ringed starpost bumper that sits on top of the triangular piece of plastic which is just below the popcorn plastic.

I can't seem to find a decent pic on the web showing that area behind the wire ramp to see where this starpost is fixed. There doesn't seem to be a hole for it to fix in to other than one at the top of the plastic but this is the wrong position for this starpost plus it has already has a metal post underneath it already.

Does anyone have a Funhouse that has this starpost fixing that could either post a pic or tell me the location on the plastic it fixes to.

You can just make out the white double rings on the star post in the pic below.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Look forward to chatting to you guys!

Cheers,

Craig.

[attachment=153:left_wire_ramp_starpost.jpg]

Hi Craig - welcome aboard !
smile-1.png

I don't have a Funhouse - cool game - but this pic on the ipdb certainly seems to show the Starpost sitting on the plastic. If you zoom right in you can see it.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=966&picno=8817

Normally that sort of set up just has a retaining 'lock' nut on the underside of the plastic to secure the screw and post. Or maybe the starpost screw attaches to a post beneath ? Seen that also.

I'm sure a friendly FH owner will chip in shortly.
wink-1.png

Cheers

Welcome to the forum
smile-1.png

Not sure on your star post question as I don't have a Funhouse either but as Ive says...very cool game. Post some pics of your one so we can have a look
smile-1.png

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!, yeah it's truly a fun game to play. I played it many a time in the arcades when I was a youngster, what with the demise of pinball in the arcades these days I set about finding one for my home.

@GrizZ....yes that is the starpost I am referring to, as you can see all the pics are showing the view of the post from the bottom of the playfield upwards never a shot of the post from behind the wire ramp. The post looks to be located in the middle of the plastic but there is no mounting hole in the old plastic or the new one I purchased...very strange?

Unfortunately the pin is in pieces at the moment, I'll gather up some shots of of what I did take before restoration.

Here's a quick run down on the work I've carried out on the pin so far:-

New Plastic set (including riveted ones)

Replaced cabinet corner blocks that had split

Added new style leg corner plates to stop future splitting

Replaced missing/incorrect metal posts on playfield

Cleaned circuit boards and playfield wiring loom

Respayed backbox circuit board metal mouting plate/added new reproduction stickers

Polished all playfield metal parts

Repsrayed backbox illumination board/replaced with new bulb sockets

Full LED playfield kit

New target set

Reprayed cabinet grills

Respayed coin door

New cabinet graphic set

New lock down plate

New translite

New side rails

New flipper buttons/player start

Resprayed speaker mesh & red williams logos

Touched up red areas on Rudy's face

Still to do:-

Repair & respray back box & add repro stickers

Respray playfield rear mounting block

Also managed to buy a new IPB playfield from the US recently which I'll replace at some stage just want the thing back in one piece for now so I can reap the rewards of my hard work
smile-1.png

Sorry nearly forgot here is a pic of the playfield on my home made rottiserie

[attachment=159:pinball Rotisserie_largest.JPG]

I suppose that the post in question could be a service mod installed at a later date, probably to prevent a ball getting trapped there...

It probably was, seems strange that all the pics I found on the web nearly all had this 'mod'. I must admit it has never been an issue with the post not being there?

Welcome to the forum. I must say, that rotisserie is fantastic. Looks super sturdy....

Wont be long before you want another i'm sure.....hehe.

Moonraker' date=' post: 1678591 said:
I suppose that the post in question could be a service mod installed at a later date, probably to prevent a ball getting trapped there...

Yep. I reckon it was added later. They may well have started adding them at the factory but after the plastics had already been run - which would explain why holes aren't punched. If you look at the flyer, there is no sign of it.

[attachment=162:funhouse flyer.jpg]

Rus121' date=' post: 1678593 said:
Welcome to the forum. I must say, that rotisserie is fantastic. Looks super sturdy....

Wont be long before you want another i'm sure.....hehe.

Hi Rus,

Sturdy for sure
wink-1.png
, I made sure of that as the playfield fully loaded weighs a ton!

I bought the wood for about £30, then some square flange bearings and some M20 x 800mm MILD STEEL 4.8 THREADED BAR ROD STUDDING.

The adjusters are made from... (would you believe it) mountain bike brake discs, I then added a spring loaded pin so you can adjust the playfield practically 360 degrees to work on it

Here is a close up of the adjust mechanism, I later put a plate over where the adjuster pin protrudes from. As you can see in the pic the pin was buckling under the force from the playfield wanting to rotate, it eventually started to elongate the hole in the wood.

[attachment=166:Locking_rotisserie.JPG]

GrizZ' date=' post: 1678594 said:
Yep. I reckon it was added later. They may well have started adding them at the factory but after the plastics had already been run - which would explain why holes aren't punched. If you look at the flyer, there is no sign of it.

View attachment 193

Yeah GrizZ your right.. seen that flyer a fair few times before and never noticed it was missing, the triangular plastic the post sits on has a hole at the pointed end but for some strange reason the post below is just blank one, i.e. it doesn't have a threaded end for the plastic to sit over the top of and be bolted down.

bartron' date=' post: 1678650 said:
I'm in Hornchurch, so if you passing drop in.

stan

I may well just do that, what pins do you have in your collection Stan?

wayne g' date=' post: 1678652 said:
real good work gone into that turntable!

smile-1.png

Thanks Wayne, I put some castors on the bottom of it now so you can wheel it around the room. I had seen otherhome made rotisseries on the net which were made out of plumbing fittings and just didn't feel they were going to be sturdy enough so set about having a go myself using some proper bearing housings, for my first attempt I don't think it came out too badly:)

bartron' date=' post: 1678669 said:
at the moment I have , AFM,TSPP,JD, IJ and Lotr. the Lotr is going out the door. to be replaced with STtNG

Some nice pins there, I played AFM at the Pinball Parlour in Ramsgate the other week also had a go on FT and TOM, played a Stern IJ at Herne Bay

Back
Top Bottom