What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here we go... TAF PF Swap.... Finally...

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
So - It's been years in the waiting, however it's about time i got started on this.

First post is Just to set out some bits and pieces...(and will no doubt be edited lots!)

Resources (to be added to as time goes on!):

Thanks Tattyadams....

[video=youtube;CNUXqTtK930]
[video=youtube;tfQ3F8WYxEQ]
[video=youtube;YyriM-Ec9Ew]

Chuck's Arcade...

http://www.chucksarcade.com/restorations.shtml

Current shopping list.... :(

After unwrapping the new Playfield, I think I've just ***zed myself.... ;)

IMG_5671.jpg
IMG_5668.jpg
IMG_5676.jpg
IMG_5672.jpg
IMG_5669.jpg
IMG_5673.jpg
IMG_5670.jpg
IMG_5675.jpg

Hahaha good luck there!!

So - having a general look about this should take anywhere between 40 and 120 hours depending on how things go. I'm limited on cash (i.e. whilst i want it to look great, i havent got a load of money to throw at it), so a lot of the stuff that people may well send off to get done i will do myself. So if anyone has any advice as to how to do something then PLEASE chip in!

Also - this should be a good guide on how to "wing it". I have a garage, however that cant be used as it's full of 'crap', so i have internal residential use only (at least it's warm with the heating on!!). However that limits me to no workbench... Lets see how we get on! If anyone is able to help with the odd bit or two, or indeed something that i can fire off in the post, then i'd only be too grateful (Of course I'll cover postage!!)

So - For example - Re-graining of Ball guides. So - http://www.chucksarcade.com/restorations_cleaning_four.shtml recommends that to clean ball guides to use some "3m Combi Wheel Scotch Brite and Abrasive", however at around £16+vat a go, maybe not. So i guess i'll be looking at 180 Grit for the rough polishing, and then 400 grit for the Fine graining. However there are "sanding Mop"'s available for a few quid off eBay which seem to be up for doing the job!!

So - First to come are pics of the initial state of the Playfield.....

I really want to get over to the Tatty Adams garage, it looks like the sort of place I dream of owning.

Hahaha good luck there!!

So - having a general look about this should take anywhere between 40 and 120 hours depending on how things go. I'm limited on cash (i.e. whilst i want it to look great, i havent got a load of money to throw at it), so a lot of the stuff that people may well send off to get done i will do myself. So if anyone has any advice as to how to do something then PLEASE chip in!

Also - this should be a good guide on how to "wing it". I have a garage, however that cant be used as it's full of 'crap', so i have internal residential use only (at least it's warm with the heating on!!). However that limits me to no workbench... Lets see how we get on! If anyone is able to help with the odd bit or two, or indeed something that i can fire off in the post, then i'd only be too grateful (Of course I'll cover postage!!)

So - For example - Re-graining of Ball guides. So - http://www.chucksarcade.com/restorations_cleaning_four.shtml recommends that to clean ball guides to use some "3m Combi Wheel Scotch Brite and Abrasive", however at around £16+vat a go, maybe not. So i guess i'll be looking at 180 Grit for the rough polishing, and then 400 grit for the Fine graining. However there are "sanding Mop"'s available for a few quid off eBay which seem to be up for doing the job!!

So - First to come are pics of the initial state of the Playfield.....

When you get round to dropping your cab off for its re-decal I will let you have what you need to get those lane guides back to new.
D.

Ok, so latest update....

Old PF nearly stripped (not quite - Pops left to go... not looking forward to them!)...

PCB's cleaned and soaked with 99%+ IPA, left to dry for 2-3 days, and moved onto new pf... (Man they were dirty!!)

DSC02924.jpgDSC02919.jpg

Metalwork in the process of being stripped and cleaned in the tumbler. More to follow...

You mentions 'pops' being tricky, by that I am going to assume you mean Jet Bumpers as it is a late Midway (Bally) machine. Bumpers appears to be one of the one consistent words used for the objects across manufacturers and Bally did call them Thumper Bumpers for a while but I haven't found a manual that calls them that. Gottlieb called them percussion bumpers for a while before apparently settling with pop bumpers a name that does make a lot of sense.
The Addams manual just calls them Jet's but IPBD calls them Pop Bumpers.
Why am I telling you this, because I had not idea what anyone was going on about when they mentioned Pops and having parts called Poppers as well doesn't help. I was still unsure when it got to Creech which told me to kit the jets for a super jackpot. 😢

The only bit tricky with the jet bumpers is the wire ribbons from the lamps. Do them early and you will have the space required to staple them to the table easily. For the soldering, I just use a crocodile clip to hold the together and stop the heat going up the wire.

What staple guns do people use for these things?

That wood looks so clean, I am very envious. I am still interested in your old playfield.

Sorry mate - yes pop/jet bumpers - those 5 things in the graveyard. Not looking forward to it as it's just a pain, with lots of bits, and as you say the ribbons and associated stuff. I have a hand stapler somewhere, however just need to dig it out.....

Tumbler has been working overtime. I'm trying to use as many original parts as possible, however will replace Coils/Sleves linkages and leaf switches (EOS/sling shots) since they usually wear fastest, and anyhow a lot of the ones in here seem to be bent/twisted so could do with a renew... :)

More progress...

for the first time after the reality of the above, I wondered "WTF" I was doing.... I have to be mad....

taf1.jpg

A few labels and a few coils left on the original PF...

taf2.jpg

And more stuff appearing on the new PF - Slowly....

taf3.jpg

On the upside, most stuff I've taken off has already been tumbled (I'm sure my Lyman will need a rest, since it's been on almost constantly for the last few weeks!!). It's just how to rebuild it again. I can feel an order to the Legend coming on....

I hate to ask, however can anyone enlighten me as to what these exist for?? A screw each, and small bit of black plastic each, however the only thing i can see it doing is sitting behind the thin metal lane guide holes on the top.... But the others don't have it..... :confused1:

tafwtf.jpg

The guide rail gets pummelled down through the playfield. This is someones attempt to keep it up above the playfield. I do a similar thing, but screw a short screw in very close to the guide hole, so that the hilt of screw covers the bottom of the guide

The guide rail gets pummelled down through the playfield. This is someones attempt to keep it up above the playfield. I do a similar thing, but screw a short screw in very close to the guide hole, so that the hilt of screw covers the bottom of the guide

Ahha - Makes sense - Thanks Andy :)

Be sure to give that loom a damned good clean - bath, scrubbing brush and copious amounts of various cleaning products normally work a treat

Be sure to give that loom a damned good clean - bath, scrubbing brush and copious amounts of various cleaning products normally work a treat

Oh yes - I'm sure there was a fire in this cab at some point, since absolutely everything is covered in soot.. Loom obviously included. Gonna bag and zip tie the micro switches, and then stick it in the shower for a good massage (the wiring!)... A week or two in the airing cupboard imo is the drying process to make sure things are really dry and ready to put back in.

Mr Replica's is going to be doing my Cab re-decal as he's a top bloke and has done this before (a couple of times ;) !), rather than me trying and making a complete hash-up of it. Hopefully looking to get the cab to him later this week so he can work his magic.... and whilst he is doing this I can carry on with the PF work...

I still sit there and look at the loom and think "will this ever go back together??!!"...

Oh yes - I'm sure there was a fire in this cab at some point, since absolutely everything is covered in soot.. Loom obviously included. Gonna bag and zip tie the micro switches, and then stick it in the shower for a good massage (the wiring!)... A week or two in the airing cupboard imo is the drying process to make sure things are really dry and ready to put back in.

Mr Replica's is going to be doing my Cab re-decal as he's a top bloke and has done this before (a couple of times ;) !), rather than me trying and making a complete hash-up of it. Hopefully looking to get the cab to him later this week so he can work his magic.... and whilst he is doing this I can carry on with the PF work...

I still sit there and look at the loom and think "will this ever go back together??!!"...

No need to bag anything up, wash the whole lot in the shower or bath, just take it outside and give it a good shake later on. I normally stick in the airing cupboard for 3 days

No need to bag anything up, wash the whole lot in the shower or bath, just take it outside and give it a good shake later on. I normally stick in the airing cupboard for 3 days

Cheers Nick - Done :) I may beed to go over it again, so i can see another few days in the airing cupboard coming up, just to make sure i havent missed any!

So - Cab now dropped off with Uncle Replicas for him to work his magic over the coming month or so - should give me chance to polish things up and get a large chunk of the PF rebuilt.... :)

Cheers Nick - Done :) I may beed to go over it again, so i can see another few days in the airing cupboard coming up, just to make sure i havent missed any!

So - Cab now dropped off with Uncle Replicas for him to work his magic over the coming month or so - should give me chance to polish things up and get a large chunk of the PF rebuilt.... :)

You'll keep on finding dirt, no matter what really. As long as you got the bulk off you'll be fine, I found this stuff http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/cillit-bang-active-foam-600ml-268656 last year and recommended it to a couple of people. I use it to clean my looms and it works a treat on metal parts as well so on looms it really helps on pop bumper switches and microswitch arms as well as brackets.

You may want to get stuff re-plated while you're at it (makes a huge difference) - such as lockdown bar receiver, playfield hinges, line filter box, thing box and any brackets that you want looking funky (trough area is a good one to do) as well as the ramp re-chroming. Let me know if you want the contact details

Thx Nick - in fact Daz recommended the same stuff.

So - Washed the loom, dried, spoke with Daz, Got loom back out, Cilit-banged it (and yes it brought off more dirt!!), and now back in drying.

And parts at the platers due for pick up later, so more pics to follow :)

Plating...

Shiny Shiny...

zinc2.jpg
zinc1.jpg
zinc3.jpg

Not bad for £30 :)

Typically enough, i forgot to get the Playfield hangers done (the ones that go into the lock down bar Mechanism) - Anyone need any plating done?? :D

Saying that I am tempted to get the ball guides done now as these look REALLY good... :)

Sweet and thats a cracking price.
One step closer to start getting it all back together.

I'll be getting some plating done when I rip apart an NBA in the next week or so

Mmmmmmm shiny :) Looks awesome mate, and thats a great price....is that the place in Northampton or somewhere in Brum?

Back
Top Bottom