What's new

Help needed with Flash :o(

Steve C

Registered
Total noob at pinball repair, well total nob really (yes @JMP got it in before you said it) - more likely to blow it up!! :eek:

Ok Flash has been in storage/wrapped up/unplayed for over a year - turned it on and spat a ball out straightaway before I had chance to start a game, ball drained so then pressed start and started a game, plunged ball no scoring, flipped ball but then flipper died!! Turns on, lights up but nothing happens when start button pressed?

Where do I start?

If it involves soldering iron, no idea how to use one, or multimeter haven't got one :(

Unplug it. Remove the backglass and one by one, unplug and reseat every connector on the boards.

Unplug it. Remove the backglass and one by one, unplug and reseat every connector on the boards.

and if that doesn't work:

1. Got to ipdb.org, find the machine, and download the manual.

2. Using the manual, locate each fuse and and check it (get a cheap multimeter and use the continuity tester, Google it if you don't know how to).

3. Read the diagnostics section of the manual.

4. Repeat step 3 until you understand it.

5. Run all the diagnostics available including CPU self test.

6. Er.... Still stumped?

7. Find someone who lives nearby who knows how to fix it.

Thanks guys, will reseat tomorrow :)

1. Have a manual just got to find it

2. Can see most of fuses without manual but will doublecheck is case one is hiding in plain sight :) might order one of these from screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-mas830b-digital-multimeter-600v/75337 should do the job? Then will google continuity :)

3. Read diagnostics - will do

4. understand diagnostics - might take some time!!

5. run diagnostics - lets see if I can understand it :)

6. hopefully not

7. nearest about 60/70 miles away :(

Will report back tomorrow.

Thanks guys, will reseat tomorrow :)

1. Have a manual just got to find it

2. Can see most of fuses without manual but will doublecheck is case one is hiding in plain sight :) might order one of these from screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-mas830b-digital-multimeter-600v/75337 should do the job? Then will google continuity :)

3. Read diagnostics - will do

4. understand diagnostics - might take some time!!

5. run diagnostics - lets see if I can understand it :)

6. hopefully not

7. nearest about 60/70 miles away :(

Will report back tomorrow.

How far are you from me ?

Think approx 60 miles :)
Well if you get stuck for a fix mate, you are welcome to bring it to my place. Having brought my Vector back from the dead I have a decent handle on Bally SS stuff.

every connector unplugged and reseated and every fuse checked with my new multimeter :) but still not working - lights on, buzzing, but won't start a game?

step 3 now reading diagnostics but might jump to step 7 :)

might take you up on your offer Andrew as whether it is Flash Gordon or Flash you know a damm sight more than me

Have you reseated the inter board connector? And have you checked the fuse under the playfield?

And what is displayed on the displays?

Flash is alive - after a bit more fiddling it works :D

Played a few games on it, which is the good news but unfortunately no sound now :(

What do I need to look for/check to try and get sound back?

Does indeed sound (pun intended) like connector issues. The Firepower that I owned had intermittent sound issues. The connectors were to blame.
The legs of the ROMS can also tarnish which leads to intermittent faults.

I'd start by buying a fibre pen off eBay and cleaning all the header pins.

Totally right there, connector issues to do with the sound - problem solved it was down to Nobby Head (Me) forgetting to push a connector back on :rolleyes: :oops:

Flash is now alive and talking so thanks for all the info/help guys :thumbs:

I now have a Trail Drive and FP2 with faults to sort out but think I will have a day off before I have a fiddle with them :)

Back
Top Bottom