What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello!

stevelup

Registered
Hi folks!

Newbie here. I started building a virtual pinball machine - it's in wide body format and I bought genuine side rails / coin mech / lockdown bar etc. The aim was for it to be as authentic as possible.

But the more I worked on it, the more I realised that it's just not the same as a real one. No matter how much you spend on a virtual, it'll be lacking that visceral feel I think. I do intend on finishing it as I've already put a lot of effort in, but alongside that I'm looking at getting a real machine too.

My plan is to get something really cheap and horrible initially that's in need of some TLC. Start off at the bottom end of things so to speak!

So any advice on what would be a decent starter table would be appreciated. I'm near Swindon (M4 J15).

Cheers,

Steve

My advice would be - finish the virtual table and get a feel of what you like playing by trying out all the amazing VPX tables that are on offer. When you know what sort of pin you like (DMD or not, Bally, DE or Stern), then start putting the feelers out for a particular table, or one similar to it.

The best value tables, whether in good nick or a fixer upper, are always going to be the less sought after machines. Data East tables are good value (LW3 or LAH), and the older Systems Ballys like Whirlwind, Taxi and Cyclone (and Diner!!) can be gotten for much less than a DMD game. Again, it just depends on which style of table take your fancy.

I know J15 well, not long sold a house in Stratton St Margaret that I refurbished.
All depends on your budget, I would go DMD though if you can. Tougher playfields and more reliable.

Back
Top Bottom