What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello, new poster (Gorgar)

BSA65

Registered
Hello from Australia (first post here) and I have decided to try and restore a barn find Gorgar. i have restored motorcycles, cars and watches but never a pinball. The machine itself is rough and has been stored in a damp old shed for over 16 yrs and has been exposed to dreadful conditions. The paint on the cabinet is a bit knocked around as is the cabinet but this is a small concern. The back glass is in good condition as is the plastic and the art on the play field, however the play field does have significant problems all lamp inserts are either cupped or high or low and even appear shrunken on some. The ones on the high play area i have removed sanded and polished but the bigger problem is the others are under a huge single piece of mylar that covers the whole play area from the snake pit down. From what i read this could be a disaster to remove i have thought that maybe i could cut around the lamp inserts remove, repair and replace. Any comment appreciated and needed Thanks Mark.

Welcome to the forum
smile-1.png

Sounds like you've got yourself a good project with your Gorgar. I'll get the first request in before others come on.......post some pics up please
biggrin-1.png
Lets have a look at it.

The freeze method seems to be the safest accepted way to remove mylar although I've never tried it. I'm sure other people on here who have can give you some great advice but in the meantime have a look at these two posts...

http://www.pinballinfo.com/forums/threads/removing-mylar-from-your-playfield.308776/

http://www.pinballinfo.com/forums/t...way-to-clean-an-older-style-playfield.308804/

Cheers

Thanks for the reply I have taken photos and will post but dont expect too much. I have seen those treads and my concern is this is a huge sheet of mylar that is still in good condition except around the lamp inserts and a couple of small edges. I dont know if the risk of damaging the art work is worth the removal but the inserts do have to come out to be reset. Cheers Mark

Mark, welcome to the U.K. Pinball forum.

Where abouts in Oz are you ? Reason I ask is that you are lucky being from down under when there is one of the best resto site right on your front door, Try www.aussiepinball.com Its a great site with really helpfull guys and lots of info. Not that we arn't helpfull or anything but you might find it easier and get some hands on help nearer home.

Problem with Gorgar is the painted p/field, if it has got damp like you say it does not sound to good and any myler removal would not be recomended as it could take all the paint with it.

Try and get some pic's to us so we can see how bad it really is.

D.

Thanks D just joined and already have found a guy who only lives 40 minutes away who will fix all boards, he also offered to come and fire the machine up when ready. Ill still hang around but.

Cheers Mark.

Back
Top Bottom