What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heighway Pinball - Full throttle

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
Ok so unfortunately a no-show at EAG because of technical problems, however I get the feeling that there's gonna be a lot more coming over coming weeks.

So, as was with the WOZ thread, and then other for other different manufacturers, lets have one for the the new UK one!!

FULL TROTTLE FLYER NEW - FRONT LOW RES.jpgFULL THROTTLE FLYER NEW - BACK LOW RES.jpg
b.jpgc4.jpg

Ok so personal opinions here...

Potentially good theme (Saying that Circe's seemed a reasonable these also), however as we all know it's down to the implementation. Flowing shots and a good ruleset? We will see.

So what do we know so far?

Initially Heighway Pinball were going to Release Circe's Animal House, however from what we understand it was decided to can this in favor of a potentially more popular theme I believe.

When Demo'd at last years UK pinball Party, there was also the interesting addition of an see-through LCD overlay, where certain parts of the PF could be blacked out, or in fact additional animations could be added. I believe this is not scheduled for Full throttle, however i could be wrong.

So - Thats the basics - i know some of you are following this more closely than me - Please feel free to correct me....

I think if this plays as fast and furious as it should, looking at the layout, then we may have ourselves a new Getaway :smokin: Even down to the slightly ZX Spectrum cassette artwork style translite ;)

Actually refreshing as hell not to have a Licenced theme.

Come on the dandy Heighwayman ! Stand and deliver !

I think if this plays as fast and furious as it should, looking at the layout, then we may have ourselves a new Getaway :smokin: Even down to the slightly ZX Spectrum cassette artwork style translite ;)

....add to this the fact that it has a supercharger (a ramp that feeds itself) and you get the impression this would be a very welcome comparison for Team Heighway

I agree it looks fast flowing. Looking forward to it.
Only my opinion but i think the translite art looks like one of those montage birthday cards my Nan used to get me as a kid!! It could almost have a gold guilt writing saying "happy birthday grandson"!!!

I agree it looks fast flowing. Looking forward to it.
Only my opinion but i think the translite art looks like one of those montage birthday cards my Nan used to get me as a kid!! It could almost have a gold guilt writing saying "happy birthday grandson"!!!

That was my thoughts too.

Nothing ages quicker than motorcycle styling. You've only got to look at the bikes in 'Mad Max'. At the time they were bad-ass cutting-edge technology.

Now nobody would be seen dead on them. The art on Full-Throttle is already in danger of looking out-of-date imo. (Unless that's the idea)?

Attachments

• goose.jpg
    goose.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 2013-Yamaha-YZF-R1.jpg
    2013-Yamaha-YZF-R1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 15
MMmmm that Yammy looks nice :)

I thought the one on Full Throttle looked like a VFR....

Nothing ages quicker than motorcycle styling.

Saying that, the yanks all like their all-sound and no grunt Harleys..... ;)

Full of fresh ideas about building/maintaining these things too.. such as the flippers, which are whole units. No need to replace the flipper bats, the whole mechanism (bat and all) can be pulled down through a flipper shaped hole in the playfield. When the flipper is in place a nylon insert (built into the unit) fills the hole.

I'm not sure it's better or worse than the standard mech that we all know and love, but its at least someone applying some fresh new ideas. Can't wait to see what else there is.

Playfield art looks decent enough but the translite and sideart look like something that should be on a kids toy, not a £3k+ pinball machine IMO.

As someone said on pinside too, the kickstand is on the wrong side of the bike on the translite and why is there a cowgirl on the back?

Hopefully it will be saved by being a good game though

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your comments.

We had 2 options re: the artwork...

1. Go with the current-day "Photoshop" style
2. Return to traditional hand-drawn art

We chose the latter.

I guess it comes down to personal opinions - hand drawn art "can" look dated, I agree.

Overall, the feedback on the artwork has been very positive to-date.

If we can improve in any areas for future games, we will of course listen to everybody's opinions

Andy

Welcome to the forum Andy, and thanks for the reply.
Any more news on the game ?

Well, EAG has quickly been forgotten. Although saying that, it was bitterly disappointing for us not to be there.

However, the launch party that we have planned should more than make up for it!

I have the wired-in playfield behind me in my office - just waiting to be tested! I've been spending the day talking to graphics people as its the one area where we need to push forwards.

I am expecting to be play testing Full Throttle within days...

I definitely think the hand-drawn art is the way to go, much nicer than 'photos'.

Very thin line between 'naff' and 'cool' though.

This artwork does the job well, it's so naff it becomes cool!

Attachments

• mad_max_ver2.jpg
    mad_max_ver2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 16
The whitewood of Circe's was great, so I'd imagine this is going to be a belter. Great to see a pin maker in the UK :)

I'm very keen on this machine. I like the hand drawn art also, would I be right in saying it is a professional comic book artist that is turning his hand to it? great stuff
I'm sure it's been said before, would make sense to change the car tyre skidmark for one of a motorcycle tyre though.
keep the updates coming...

Full of fresh ideas about building/maintaining these things too.. such as the flippers, which are whole units. No need to replace the flipper bats, the whole mechanism (bat and all) can be pulled down through a flipper shaped hole in the playfield. When the flipper is in place a nylon insert (built into the unit) fills the hole.

I'm not sure it's better or worse than the standard mech that we all know and love, but its at least someone applying some fresh new ideas. Can't wait to see what else there is.

Not being a mechanical wiz I think that anything that makes repairing a pin easier is a great idea, especially if it is on site, but needs to be as good if not better than the existing flippers on current/older machines.

I'm very keen on this machine. I like the hand drawn art also, would I be right in saying it is a professional comic book artist that is turning his hand to it? great stuff
I'm sure it's been said before, would make sense to change the car tyre skidmark for one of a motorcycle tyre though.
keep the updates coming...

Translite looks good but think somebody else pointed out that the dirt/trail bike does look out of place compared to the other bikes, especially with the full face helmet. Or is it Biker Stig!!

Not sure if all the other bikes are supposed to be the same, red 28, but there appears, correct me if i'm wrong, to be exhaust/tail pipes on different sides?

Translite looks good but think somebody else pointed out that the dirt/trail bike does look out of place compared to the other bikes, especially with the full face helmet. Or is it Biker Stig!!

Not sure if all the other bikes are supposed to be the same, red 28, but there appears, correct me if i'm wrong, to be exhaust/tail pipes on different sides?

Now, Now. Calm down there tiger, its only a translight and stuff like that shouldn't matter.
Should it ?

Wish you best of luck with this Andy but do feel backbox art is not going to 'draw them in'. Similar to what others have said, reminds me a bit of rub-down transfers of images onto scenes I used to do when I was a kid. I think the hand drawn thing is a good idea but it just looks, well.... naff and it's what people will see before even looking at the playfield. The cabinet art is OK and the playfeld looks great with the cross-over ramps BTW. Hope this is constructive...

Back
Top Bottom