What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GZ Speaker Set Up

The stern stock stuff is rubbish.

No matter what you do speakerwise you need a better amplifier!

Literally with about £125 you can upgrade the amp and all the speakers in a stern.

Done several. You can take a line out off the stern main CPU board. The pins you need to connect to are all on the schematic.

I use car speakers off amazon. About £30 a pair.

To quote a certain Stern sound designers - he said it was 'amazing' when he heard my upgrade. :) High praise indeed.

For a Spike 2 game upgrading the amp is a waste of money unless you go big with speakers and sub also - the quality of the audio coming out of the MPU is not great.

The LE speakers with the right settings as above will give you a good sound. Pinballlife also do an excellent plug and play sub upgrade with excellent settings advice:

Sorry - the stern amp is not good! It is very basic and not a lot of power in it.

The 4/8 ohm setting within the software does not change the characterist of the amplfiier - it just knocks down the input level a few dB.

Most amplifiers will go down to 4 ohm, and unless you are driving your pinball speakers with valve amps impedance is not that important. Some class D amps (normally in bridged mode) will go to 2 ohms.

Apologies to @Andydn - I do not have the time to go to my friends place, take photos and do a tutorial.

I have used these before in Sterns, just search for 8" subwoofer kevlar in amazon.

QTX/Fenton etc are actually the same speakers with a different sticker on them.

Thanks for all the advice. I could have sourced the individual parts cheaper but I went with the simpler option of the Pinsound package I linked to earlier. Easy installation and obviously a big improvement in the sound for not too much money, and along with invisi-glass one the best bang for buck upgrades you can do.

I've changed the settings as per the instructions that came with it but always have the option to tweak it in future.

Back
Top Bottom