What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Gremlins - Goodwins Place Homebrew Pinball Log

Goodwinsplace

Site Supporter
Alias
Goodwin
Hi All,

Excuse the generic title, I don't have a theme or anything else to hook you in yet!
I'm Craig, I've been running my own YouTube channel for a few years working on retro console mods and repairs.
I'm kicking off my homebrew pinball machine build, everything pretty much from 0 knowledge and learning as I go along.
I'll be going through everything from my choice of hardware through to the theme, layout through to no doubt the issues I have with the build on my YouTube channel and will post here throughout also.

I'm pretty much a pinball n00b so this is going to be a big build for me, I've done technincal builds and have experience in hardware and software so I'm pretty confident I can get through this, but will no doubt need help along the way.

Please feel free to input any lines of support, help or criticism (I can take it) along the way.

Thanks,

Craig (Goodwins Place)

Hello Craig,
Have watched a few of your videos and end up shouting at the monitor when I spot the fault before you do ;)
I am about to start a pinball retheme (ie take an existing game and change the theme of it, and install new software).
This is more of the way to go first of all as the playfield and everything is sorted.
Do not run before you can walk.
For my retheme build it will take a lot of work and an awful lot of help from friends, like artists - coders.
Am fine at the wiring and interfacing etc.
It is an extremely big challenge building a machine from stratch.
The old Pinball Yahoo group members, fronted by @Sven Normansson (Phil Dixon) did a great game called Forbidden Planet. Well over a decade later it is still not finished. This had a very good team behind it, and is built so well. At the moment it is still awating playfield art and Phil is always working on the code.
Having come from the dreaded 'Heighway Pinball' team in the early days this job is not easy. It will take you years. If you do not know how pinballs work, I would start by getting one and investgating this side.
One of my jobs is fixing pinball machines, and my build will be a massive challenge (even after 25 years of repair experience).
I will be using the 'cobrapin' board set with a small board computer with HDMI output going to a 28 inch screen for the backglass/score etc.
You will also need to build a board to do all the power needed for a pin (70v flippers especially) - for 5V, 12V etc I just use switch mode power supplies.
Do not think it is going to be like a Visual Pinball build.
If you want to discuss anything, give me a shout.
Dock.

Hi Dock,
Thanks for the reply and watching my other content, please always comment if you spot things that I don't on my repairs, would be great to know what you've spotted and when. I'm no expert in repairs or mods but been doing them a fair few years now as a hobby.

I really appreciate the input and advice on going down the re-theme route, I had considered this but I'm now 100% set on a full build, if it takes multiple years then I'm good with that, but I'm pretty confident that I'll get something playable within a decent period of time, I might be eating my words and wishing I'd taken your advice pretty soon!

I've got quite a broad background in tech builds from Hardware to software and graphic design so I'm aware of the scale of the work ahead of me and know it's going to be a mammoth struggle at times, that's why I think this is a great project as I can MoSCoW out the build in different areas, if stuck on the hardware for example I can divert attention to another deliverable whilst I'm researching a solution or saving for parts.

I'm considering the OPP route for the interface boards and Power regulators, not confirmed yet but will see how that goes before looking at commercial boards. I'll be running two power supplies both high and low voltage so I can isolate the coil power from the lower power items such as the LEDs.

I hope to convince you over the next few videos on what direction I'm going, I will buy in some bigger construction parts but other items I really want to tackle myself and learn along the way.

Check out the Pinside and the homebrew section there.

Dozens of projects actively being developed with a number of incredible builds from first timers all the way up to electronics wizards.

Well worth a look.

Check out the Pinside and the homebrew section there.

Dozens of projects actively being developed with a number of incredible builds from first timers all the way up to electronics wizards.

Well worth a look.
Thank you, I'm already a member and spending a lot of time going through different build logs, as you suggest people of all levels on there doing them to some level.
Really great place for seeing how different people approach it too, some go straight into build where others get things as solid as they can in a virtual build before taking that to a CNC to be cut.
Thanks for commenting - Craig.

Just posted an update on my YouTube channel.
A bit of progress mainly finding out what I like and dislike in a game from playing as many as I could at Pinfest.
A bit of an update on some parts bought, further video to come on that, and some info on a PCB order too.
Lots to get moving on now.

I was going to ask if you made it to pinfest. You should have said hello.
I did but kept under the radar a bit and just for the Saturday afternoon.
I need to come for longer next year, it was a great event and managed to get on a few good games I'd not played before - but missed out on some of the more popular games as they were busy throughout which is understandable.

12 months?! I mean hats off if you manage that but my custom BSD took about that and that was based on an existing playfield design!

Good luck to you Craig mate. I'll be watching with interest.

Even if it’s partly complete, bring it along. The Pinball Amigos travelled from The Netherlands with their project Crazy Mansion.

12 months?! I mean hats off if you manage that but my custom BSD took about that and that was based on an existing playfield design!
I know, very ambitious. If I get a decent looking whitewood version by then I'd be happy. I'm not on any hard deadline but want to keep pushing on it.
Good luck to you Craig mate. I'll be watching with interest.
Thanks, always after ideas. Watched your latest 007 playfield video yesterday, I don't think I'll achieve anything as complex as that but want it to have a few cool toys and ramps.
Even if it’s partly complete, bring it along. The Pinball Amigos travelled from The Netherlands with their project Crazy Mansion.
Ok will see how far along it gets and let you know closer to the time.

New video up and I'd really like support of anyone that has a YouTube account to vote on the theme selection, I've narrowed it down to 4 themes:
- Short Circuit
- Gremlins
- Labyrinth
- Echddoe (custom theme)

I'm getting people to comment on my video but happy if people comment here too as I can count them in to the total.

Don't underestimate howuch help being able to use assets from films are. I lile the sound of your original theme but Gremlins would be epic.

Have you got your modes worked out for each theme?
Not for all 4 but have notes / scribbles / ideas that I've made for some on different themes. It looks so far to be between Gremlins and Labyrinth, I have ideas on both of them but I will build up the modes more as my experience in MPF grows, I'd love to get to the point of a decent video mode to be included too.

Don't underestimate howuch help being able to use assets from films are. I lile the sound of your original theme but Gremlins would be epic.
Yeah I was thinking that. If I went with my custom theme it would be much simpler graphics on the display to start with.

Thanks both for commenting.

Video mode in mpf is supposedly not possible yet.
Not taking no for an answer see my YouTube fppinball for an example of space invaders running in mpf using pygame.

Video mode in mpf is supposedly not possible yet.
Not taking no for an answer see my YouTube fppinball for an example of space invaders running in mpf using pygame.
I've seen that. Looks great, I thought it was part of the build. Awesome work. What is the game coded in?

@Sven Normansson that would be great. I think video modes should be simple most of the time and just speed up with difficulty.
Was hoping it was a HTML5 or other setup as they can be pretty light weight.

That would be awesome. Going to keep the voting open until 15th Oct and see which I'm going with then. I'm off to Qatar a few times with work around world cup (I'm not even into football). So will have time to work on graphics and MPF when I'm away.

My latest in my pinball build, the drama around trying to store a cabinet that I picked up.
Massive thanks to @AlanJ for sorting me with the cabinet sale. Has really helped in secure things for the project moving forward.
Voting on my theme closes tomorrow so that will give me some real direction on a few items I can work on remote whilst working away over next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom