What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold chrome effect onto plastic?

huggers

Site Supporter
Alias
Andy Hug
I've got a project in mind but it would require somehow getting gold chrome onto plastic. I could get it professionally gold plated but i's 200 quid plus vat. Any ideas or suggestions for a cheaper way to get the same effect. I'm thinking rattle cans are going to be too matt like in appearance. Cheers chaps

There was a company who could spray fake gold, can’t remember the name but the result was very good as long as the original surface was very smooth.

try different makes of rattle cans. also try a top coat of gloss clear - that makes it shiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wurlitzer jukeboxes spray plastic to make it look like metal castings. I tried quite a few 'rattle cans' but never got a good result for a silver finish.

BUT - it does rub off !

Depending on how much you want to do, you could ask a car paint provider to mix up some pearl metallic type paint in 2k.

The fleck can reflect well with a nice clear finish. It would need a primer, then the finish, you can get the to mix it up and put it into rattle cans for you.

I use kent car paints https://www.kentpaint.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1_11&products_id=13

if you give them a bell they can tell you about the 2k in rattle can custom stuff

Depending on how much you want to do, you could ask a car paint provider to mix up some pearl metallic type paint in 2k.

The fleck can reflect well with a nice clear finish. It would need a primer, then the finish, you can get the to mix it up and put it into rattle cans for you.

I use kent car paints https://www.kentpaint.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1_11&products_id=13

if you give them a bell they can tell you about the 2k in rattle can custom stuff

Thanks dude, I'll give these guys a bell tomorrow

Thanks for this mate, I'll get in touch with them for a quote for sure

Very interesting - Guessing you’re happy with the result? How resistant to chipping is it? Would like to get the lamp from Totan a nice shiny gold. Recommend for that kind of thing?
It's paint so will mark or chip if knocked.

Back
Top Bottom