What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to play TRON

eclipsemullet

Registered
We are going from the Island to play TRON in Bournemouth on Tuesday.

That's how much we LOVE pinball.

Andy

I liked it but I felt deprived by having not seen the film. I wish Stern would make their play fields glossy though.

?? What do you mean by glossy? Mines pretty shiny and it's certainly not matt or anything.

Diamond Plate is just the name Williams gave to their clearcoat process in the 90s. In the same way that Data East called it Stealth Coat or something similar. Its a common misconception that some 90s games were DP and some weren't. If its a 90s Williams DMD its clearcoated, or DP'd as Williams had it. The confusion arises because some playfields were stamped as being 'Diamond Plated' and some weren't stamped. But they all were DP.

Just pre DMD era there were certain titles that had a limited number of machines given the new clearcoat/Diamond Plate, I guess they were trialing it .....so there are a few hundred Funhouse, Brides, Whirlwind and maybe couple others out there that differ from most, and are quite desireable among collectors because obviously the new clearcoat offered WAY better playfield protection in comparison to the old method.

I have had a couple of Sterns thru here and both seemed as 'shiny' as any other modern game tbh.

Thinking about it, I had a ToM at one point and I think the Tron's as good / shiny as that ever was. What it'll be like after 10000 plays I don't know. But at least it will still be HUO and loved so hopefully it'll stand up better than the stuff I've owned in the past
biggrin-1.png

All come down to quality.

The printing process of the playfield was important to Bally/Williams so they spent money to make sure it looked right.

Stern don't like to spend money thus that's why there playfields look poor quality.

Don't even get me started on the side art.

Back
Top Bottom