What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Godzilla Premium is £11.8k - what did I miss?

Monkeyboypaul

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul G
There I was fantasising about a new game, but I just involuntarily spat my tea out when in read this....

£11, 795 for Godzilla Premium.

I swear it was ~£10k 2 weeks ago ...and yes I know there's a war on (there's always a war on. Maybe not on this scale or potential for severe escalation, but still...)

Is this it? The end? Are we done now? Is pinball dead, or just pitching itself at the relatively richer kids only now?

How will this affect used prices? I doubt I'll want to shift anything on now, unless I can buy another to replace it. Selling 2 to buy 1, over and over, until you're left with just 1 game... then what?

I'm lucky as I've bought, played [cleaned, fixed] and sold for over 10yrs now, never really making money either - so I've effectively spread the cost of my games over a long period, but I've never seen an increase of this much this fast.

I'm posting this in the noobie thread simply because I genuinely feel a little bit emotionally winded by it!

Screenshot 2022-10-10 at 9.42.37 am.png

I looked as MBr this morning as well and both classic and special have gone up by at least a grand.

EHOH premium even worse now 13k, was < 10k when i first ordered 😢

At that rate 100% my last NIB.

Think the key is to hold out for now into back end of next year, as likely in the midst of a deep recession by then and has to have some reflection on prices.

then again if the current numpty government insists on destroying the £ then might not help much.

well yeah its world wide.

But the UK government trying to stimulate spending whilst the BOE are trying to slow it is a bit of a conundrum.

hopefully they can get on the same page before we have $£ parity or worse.

Was about $2.40 to the £ when i first went to US 😄

USD might be strong but GBP performance is determined by Government and market sentiment towards Government policies.
Indeed, however you look at USD Vs Euro, or in fact most other currencies - is all the same. USD is VERY strong thanks to the US fiscal policy (and mainly the fact that they have hoiked the interest rates in the USA).

We have to remember that Sterling isnt the force it used to be... and thats thanks to a number of reasons... and yes, the debarcle a few weeks ago really didnt help - that isnt the only reason tho!

well yeah its world wide.

But the UK government trying to stimulate spending whilst the BOE are trying to slow it is a bit of a conundrum.

hopefully they can get on the same page before we have $£ parity or worse.

Was about $2.40 to the £ when i first went to US 😄

Stimulate spending and stoke inflation. Buying food will become a problem for many not just the poorest. At least the number of food banks is growing.

Indeed, however you look at USD Vs Euro, or in fact most other currencies - is all the same. USD is VERY strong thanks to the US fiscal policy (and mainly the fact that they have hoiked the interest rates in the USA).

We have to remember that Sterling isnt the force it used to be... and thats thanks to a number of reasons... and yes, the debarcle a few weeks ago really didnt help - that isnt the only reason tho!
There is a war on and the money goes to safe havens - Gold, Swissie and in this case USD because they have increased interest rates. UK needs higher rates to attract money but that will cause big problems for those with mortgages.

There is a war on and the money goes to safe havens - Gold, Swissie and in this case USD because they have increased interest rates. UK needs higher rates to attract money but that will cause big problems for those with mortgages.
100% - and thats the issue. Interest rates raise and People start having issues paying their mortgages. Thats the governments fault obviously, as opposed to people living within their means and catering for the possability of interest rate rises when they take a mortgage out.... and expecting the government to bail them out for their poor decisions...

Last edited:
Damned if you do damned if you don’t regardless of political party.
I don’t envy those who make the decisions because theres always someone who knows better…. Until they’re in the hot seat.

And the cycle continues….

100% - and thats the issue. Interest rates raise and People start having issues paying their mortgages. Thats the governments fault obviously, as opposed to people living within their means and catering for the possability of interest rate rises when they take a mortgage out.... and expecting the government to bail them out for their poor decisions...
I lived through 17% interest rates and managed our finances but successive governments have allowed the housing market to become wildly over inflated with no real serious controls to ensure people could handle 6% interest rates. The Government has not managed energy supply and retail.

Not all decisions made by people are their fault if things go bad. The Government should do what it can for all the people of the country because, strangely enough, that is their job.

The only advice I have to offer as a former pension fund manager is: look for value. If the weak pound/strong dollar is making NIBs expensive and poorer value, consider looking elsewhere.

In this context, there are still games in the £1500 - £3000 price bracket (particularly Sys11s) which are excellent fun. They may be 25% of a NIB Stern, but they may well be 80-120% of the fun. Bottom line: there' still lots of fun and a heap of value to be found in (relatively) inexpensive older pins.

I was well up for a NIB BOND this time round but getting close to 12k for the Prem is just crazy talk, no box of lights is worth 12k (to me anyway) I appreciate 12k to some ppl is just peasant change lol and 12k to others is there yearly ****ing salary!!

See where we are in a few years i guess plenty of cheaper games to enjoy!

Companies that purchase most of their product using another currency should consider hedging. If they simply pass on the costs to their customers then the risk is that the company will lose business.

Even the cheapest one Super Hoop appears to have gone up £600, that's an over 10% increase from a few weeks ago.

But it shouldn't cause issues for those with mortgages. From 2014 until about a month ago, all banks were required to check mortgage affordability by flexing interest rates 3% upwards and checking the customer could still afford. Base rates have gone up by 2.15% so far this year, so that's still well within the affordability tests that were done.

Base rates need to go up to support the £.

And they couldn't have chosen a worse day for the mini-budget.

September 21st: US Federal Reserve rate increased by 0.75% to 3.25%
September 22nd: UK Base rate increased by 0.5% to 2.25%
September 23rd: Mini-budget

The £ was going down against the dollar whatever was announced at the mini budget, Mini-budget takes all the blame.

The real story here is that the £ weakened 15% against the dollar up to the date of the mini budget and will continue to do so unless BOE increases our rates to match the US rates or at least narrow the gap. Why buy £ when dollar gives higher return?

Young people are currently properly ****ed in the U.K.
my old starter flat is currently on the market for 3/4 of a million 😱 how the hell is anyone going to afford that.? Commuting in for a low paying starter job isn’t financially feasible with the size of train fares.

Students have 30-50k of loans and are now being charged 12% interest.

My son’s rent at uni is 8 grand. The total he can borrow is £5k. Guess who’s paying the shortfall? (In his defence he already works 3 days a week on top of his studying)

Beer is £7 a pint. (I now know so many young people who hardly drink)

The idea that people working full time need to resort to food banks in order to eat is obscene.

I’m honestly not surprised a lot of them are really going to struggle with even minor changes in interest rates. Even then a mortgage is likely to be cheaper than rent.

Just counting my blessings that I’m an old bastard. I’ll also be ****ed if I’m going to pay over 10k for a game 😂

Back
Top Bottom