What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ghostbusters: right orbit shots end in tears

Kelauce

Registered
Been really enjoying our Ghostbusters Premium machine but one thing just seems off/unfair and that's when you make a solid shot up the right orbit - it carries such speed around the orbit that by the time it comes back down the left side it just goes straight down the middle, between the flippers. It happens that quick that i cant tilt it enough to send it off course to a flipper.

Any solutions for this? It'd be a shame to alter the flippers as every other shot feels great (even though the flippers do look set quite low).

Thanks!

To some, that nigh impossible shot, just wider than a pinball, makes GB unfathomable and no fun - that and the too-wide flipper gap. Others enjoy the harder games but not me.

It's designed like that, to be nasty. I suspect the only solution is a nudge as it's leaving the left orbit, but I'd be too amazed for the ball to have actually gone in there to do anything whatsoever but just feel cheated, it should reward making the shot by a perfect feed to a flipper imo. Good luck.

To be honest I quite like the difficulty and massive gap between the flippers - a few months back we were at Tilt watching someone play on Ghostbusters and he was constantly tilting it like a madman (never seen someone make pinball look so exhausting but he was ace to watch) so I followed his lead when we got our own GB and just accepted I'd have to shove it around loads if I was to get anywhere with it :cool: but this right orbit shot comes round with such speed that I can't send it off course :(

I was thinking about sticking a Velcro strip or something on the outer edge of the left orbit in a bit to slow it down.

You should be able to 'slightly' adjust the guide rail on the left loop to alter the trajectory the ball follows when it comes round from the right orbit.
It sounds like it needs moving towards the left side of the machine. Try unscrewing that rail, pushing it to the left, and then retightening. Should make all the difference. If that doesn't fix it enough bending the rail with a pair of pliers will have the same result.

I had to do the same to the Avatar I just had to stop the loop shots from catching the rubber on the post and sending it SDTM. Have done the same on both my WPT and Met.

^^^ What he says. I think there is a certain amount of luck as to what position that guide rail comes in. On mine a right orbit will always hit the left flipper if raised, but not if down, so there must be very little in it.

How's your left scoop? Mine started ejecting SDTM after a few dozen plays, and the only solution I can find is to put the coil power to a ridiculously low level so that it dribbles out on to the flipper rather than SDTM.

Left scoop has been fine so far...

Many thanks for the feedback, i shall look at adjusting the left guide rail!

Adjusting the guide rail (pushed it in towards the scoop slightly) did help although hasn't completely removed the issue. A typical full power shot up the right orbit would always send the ball sdtm but now it's much less often although will happen once in a while - which i can live with :)

One thing i have found with GB is that it has to be perfectly leveled - I was having a nightmare playing and then once moved and Leveled exactly as it should be it now plays much better :)

Ahh thanks, Paul. We've not tinkered with the level of it yet. Is there an optimum setting for it? Currently it's just the default lower at the front which it came on.

Ahh thanks, Paul. We've not tinkered with the level of it yet. Is there an optimum setting for it? Currently it's just the default lower at the front which it came on.

6.5 degrees... perfectly level - so standard settings really- it's just not at all forgiving if you are slightly out (and removes a lot of the sdtm issues :)

All pinball gets harder when they aren't level, but some pinball tables become unplayable hell if they are even slightly off-spec, because by factory they're designed to have tight shots that rollback or return the ball to the absolute edge of the flipper. I could see GB being an extreme case as it's a Trudeau classic hard-mode table with high speed - and just looking at the table layout, I can see that left orbit return as extremely dicey.

TZ is another table that just skyrockets in difficulty if there is any discrepancy in slope and table angle, because the pop-bumper zone is already tuned to be a danger zone, and rollbacks from the two center ramps and the clock target are normally only narrowly safe, and take very little to become SDTM.

F14 I know responds to any attempts to slow it down by making it completely impossible to avoid death from the outlanes off of its slightshots. You play that SOAB on 7 degrees or you don't play it at all!

To be honest I quite like the difficulty and massive gap between the flippers - a few months back we were at Tilt watching someone play on Ghostbusters and he was constantly tilting it like a madman (never seen someone make pinball look so exhausting but he was ace to watch) so I followed his lead when we got our own GB and just accepted I'd have to shove it around loads if I was to get anywhere with it :cool: but this right orbit shot comes round with such speed that I can't send it off course :(
With all the above being said, GB just screams of a 'physical' table to me when tuned right. A well set up MET had me working incredibly hard physically but it works so well for the table, and you can tell when you have a table that demands that you move it to live; a good table should reward even mild pushing by defusing 'scripted' deadly trajectories. They're definitely my favourite kind of tables to play!

What can I say, I'm one of those players that always knows how many tilt warnings he has left...

Back
Top Bottom