What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getaway HS2 Mods - New table questions

Goodwinsplace

Site Supporter
Alias
Goodwin
Hi All,
Picked up a Getaway from a forum member yesterday. Being my first table I've learnt a lot already from how to not forget to take the balls out before lifting the playfield through to my new obsession of finger prints on glass!

The table is in great condition and has been serviced with nice new rubbers.
I want to kit this out a bit and have been looking around at the following and have some questions:
1. ROM should I be looking to update? All the videos I can see on YouTube are old that mention ROMs.
2. Different music, is that a RealSound mod? I've seen some videos playing the actual ZZ Top track which I think could be cool, but possibly a bit annoying after a while. Is it flexible to change up? And I'm assuming it's hardware based?
3. Colour DMD - I've seen both Pin2DMD and ColorDMD, which is best? I don't mind building and soldering. I built a RPi2DMD on my YouTube before as a gif clock.
4. Lights - I've seen blue police lights above and red lights under cab. I'd like it to be bright but don't want it to look like a teenagers Saxo. What are the options and best places?
5. Basic items such as LEDs, I've noticed one or two out, I'm assuming buying same type is best to match nearest of the same colour.
6. 3D printed mods, I have a printer and seen the mountain and donut shop mods on thingiverse, anything else I should be looking out for?
7. Other mods like ignition key, gear stick and I've see a cool Speedo / tacho mod on a video. Are these custom or generally available?
8. Any other table mods such as leg protectors? I might even look at replacing the artwork in the future.

Sorry lots of questions, I've researched loads but not sure on best UK suppliers.

Cheers,

Craig.PXL_20210417_192704712.jpg

Rom update I think I sold that game to steve so it will have the latest rom in it
If you want to run the zz top tracks then you will have to swap out the sound board for a pinsound one not cheep but it does sound amazing in the getaway I run it in mine you can also swap it from pin to pin by just updating the files
Colour display is also good again fully compatible with other game not cheep but top notch I would take this over pin 2k any day but it comes down to what you want to pay and quality
The ignition key is a cool mod also the do nut shop which sits over where the balls lock
Anyway enjoy your game it was a lovely example when I sold it to steve and it’s a cracking entry level game

Take it over £2k? I paid £2.3k for it. So guessing with these mods it will easily be a £3k spend.
It will likely be bit by bit, nice if parts can be moved to another table.

Any suggestions on UK suppliers for any of the above are welcome.

Sean at pinball palace for the colour display
Pinsound is over seas I am afraid
You could put a wanted add on group in the parts section and see if anything comes up

Take it over £2k? I paid £2.3k for it. So guessing with these mods it will easily be a £3k spend.
It will likely be bit by bit, nice if parts can be moved to another table.

Any suggestions on UK suppliers for any of the above are welcome.
I think Chris meant pin 2k (pinball 2000) that make Revenge from mars and Star wars episode 1 they sell around the same price as Getaway
Great first pin btw :)

19579CD6-5CEE-466A-815A-5AD0922A9BC1.jpeg

Hi, the pin2dmds were around £150 for the last group buy on here. The lcd options tend to be double that. I have pin2dmd in mine and i think it looks great (added some before and after pics above).
I added a red led strip under the cab - about £22 off judge-dreads-pinballstore. Its ok and not too bright and if you’re playing in a dark room it provides enough extra light, but i wouldn’t say the thing is essential and I probably wouldn’t light the underside of any other cabs but as its a cheap mod, if you like it, do it. I also changed the plastic on the top from red to blue as to me red police lights dont make sense in the uk.
5D800E5F-03C7-41AE-AF4E-EBF2BC50C6AC.jpeg
Changing audio really adds a lot to the game but pinsound costs around £250 so its not a cheap upgrade. I really like the fact you can add any music u like though and it integrates with the game. Heres a video of mine i did a while back. Excuse the glare, the leds look great in real life but dont film well...I should have took the glass off. If you also add the volume controller for pinsound you can change the audio tracks on the fly while you play the game. One min you could be listening to la grange, next Outrun then switch to the prodigy or whatever you are in the mood for.
* playing one handed as holding phone in the other so excuse the bad gameplay and poor filming skills :)

I do like really the donut heaven mod and although I didn’t buy it myself, as you mentioned you have a 3d printer then that seems like a nice option to do.

And as a ps, i watched your video on the dmd clock which allowed me to build mine so thanks for that. Was an excellent video.

Jason.

Last edited:
You can buy pin2dmd's made up in europe, dont forget to add 25% for you tax/duty/etc.....
Some places that do them require you to register the pin2dmd - which is 10 euro on top.
Then you have to pay for some of the color files for certain games.

I have used plenty of pin2dmd and colordmd.

If you want the easiest option - it is colordmd - but it is more expensive.

£319 plus vat and delivery in the UK from Sean.

Here as an EXAMPLE (do not order from these!)

199 euro, plus 25% when it lands, and shipping. I would estimate £240 with all costs.

THE GOOD THING ABOUT COLORDMD - most tables are supported and you normally buy it once, and swap it to future games.

I would look at the LCD as you can do upscale stuff as well.

I do like Pin2dmd but it can be a ball ache as it never seems to run 100% but it costs two thirds the price.

Hi, the pin2dmds were around £150 for the last group buy on here. The lcd options tend to be double that. I have pin2dmd in mine and i think it looks great (added some before and after pics above).
I added a red led strip under the cab - about £22 off judge-dreads-pinballstore. Its ok and not too bright and if you’re playing in a dark room it provides enough extra light, but i wouldn’t say the thing is essential and I probably wouldn’t light the underside of any other cabs but as its a cheap mod, if you like it, do it. I also changed the plastic on the top from red to blue as to me red police lights dont make sense in the uk.

Changing audio really adds a lot to the game but pinsound costs around £250 so its not a cheap upgrade. I really like the fact you can add any music u like though and it integrates with the game. Heres a video of mine i did a while back. Excuse the glare, the leds look great in real life but dont film well...I should have took the glass off. If you also add the volume controller for pinsound you can change the audio tracks on the fly while you play the game. One min you could be listening to la grange, next Outrun then switch to the prodigy or whatever you are in the mood for.
* playing one handed as holding phone in the other so excuse the bad gameplay and poor filming skills :)

I do like really the donut heaven mod and although I didn’t buy it myself, as you mentioned you have a 3d printer then that seems like a nice option to do.

And as a ps, i watched your video on the dmd clock which allowed me to build mine so thanks for that. Was an excellent video.

Jason.
You pretty much have the mods I've described.
Looks and sounds great.
I think I'll hold on the PinSound for now, but have ordered a colorDMD as my replacement panel.
I might have some specific questions on how you've done some of your mods, can I message you?
Thanks for watching the RPi2DMD video, they are pretty easy to build but I couldn't find much UK based guides on it.

You can buy pin2dmd's made up in europe, dont forget to add 25% for you tax/duty/etc.....
Some places that do them require you to register the pin2dmd - which is 10 euro on top.
Then you have to pay for some of the color files for certain games.

I have used plenty of pin2dmd and colordmd.

If you want the easiest option - it is colordmd - but it is more expensive.

[/URL]

£319 plus vat and delivery in the UK from Sean.

Here as an EXAMPLE (do not order from these!)

[/URL]

199 euro, plus 25% when it lands, and shipping. I would estimate £240 with all costs.

THE GOOD THING ABOUT COLORDMD - most tables are supported and you normally buy it once, and swap it to future games.

I would look at the LCD as you can do upscale stuff as well.

I do like Pin2dmd but it can be a ball ache as it never seems to run 100% but it costs two thirds the price.

Thanks for this, despite being the type to really want to get stuck in to the build of the DMD I went for the LCD ColorDMD option.
Just ordered it today as I do fancy having the LCD option for future use if needed.

I have been making several LED mods for the Getaway, yet to finish but will be starting a thread with video on them when I have finished.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/t...-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin?tq=&tu=nutty

Mr_Tantrum on Pinside has the best Mountain mod IMO.
Interested to see what you've done on your mods, when making your own mods is there any advice on what you can or cannot tap into? I'm confident with electric but don't want to be taping in to a 12v and causing issue with the wider system.
I've ordered some 12v blue flashers that I'd like to have one on the top and one under neath. Ideally on the same circuit as the red lamp which I'm assuming is bigger than 12v so would be looking for another 12v that's triggered the same time.

I'll take a look for that mountain mod, the 3d printed one is nice but will need a bit of time on painting and finishing.

I run a Jamma PSU in the machine (5v 12v 24v) to run all mods, PIN2DMD, LEDs etc.

I don`t tap off the machine for my mods I believe the power sources on a Williams are quite fragile especially the 5v so I would rather not push it.

I run a Jamma PSU in the machine (5v 12v 24v) to run all mods, PIN2DMD, LEDs etc.

I don`t tap off the machine for my mods I believe the power sources on a Williams are quite fragile especially the 5v so I would rather not push it.
So they are fixed light mods rather than reactive to the game? I suppose you could use a solid state relay to trigger a bigger external voltage and light whatever you wanted.

I was worried about running too much from the source and blowing the board. Although most mods I've seen do use a pass through connector of some sort.

The LED mods I have made are interactive with the game, from any flasher/inset/solenoid they use a microprocessor board from the pinball databus to CANbus converter to control the LEDs from the Pinball with an Arduino, I program the Arduino but the problem is the controller card is not mine and I am have trouble getting them in numbers at the moment.

The LED mods I have made are interactive with the game, from any flasher/inset/solenoid they use a microprocessor board from the pinball databus to CANbus converter to control the LEDs from the Pinball with an Arduino, I program the Arduino but the problem is the controller card is not mine and I am have trouble getting them in numbers at the moment.
Can’t you just hook your arduino into the mpu bus directly? What does the controller board do for you?

The CANbus board that chats to the Pinball is based on a STM32 chip so perhaps a STM32 microcontroller board could be used but that side is way too advanced for me.

Nice, I'll order one of those. I was going to desolder the holder move to the side wall and then wire it across but this makes it a bit easier. 👍

Hi there - nice vid. I have both PIN2DMD and ColorDMD (LCD like yours). I have PIN2DMD in my HS2, and ColorDMD in Twilight Zone.

Looking at your vid I'd say that PIN2DMD suits HS2 better than ColorDMD, as you say the pixelated version of ColorDMD just looks better on HS2 in my opinion.

I've done quite a bit of modding on my HS2 - maybe some you'd like to consider?

A wide range including cosmetic:
  • re-decal with PPS decals (recommend Mr Pinballs if you ever do it - they fit better believe it or not), and custom powder coat the hardware.
  • Painted the cab inside and out, powder coated the bolt caps and coin door.
  • I've installed better speakers, and a TiltAudio sound board - very similar to PinSound mentioned earlier.
  • LCD's with Afterglow GI and Afterglow LCD OCD,
  • PIN2DMD colour DMD as mentioned.
  • Finally a cool custom made PinBall Heaven model to cover the multiball trap. @Colywobbles helped me laser cut it - I made a quick vid of it here:

Welcome to help with any of these if you ever are interested.

@MadNat How did you get on with Tilt Audio, Fully Working ? If so what version hardware are you using ?

@MadNat How did you get on with Tilt Audio, Fully Working ? If so what version hardware are you using ?

I got the V3 board. Took some doing to get it working [emoji23].

There is now a new V3.5 version which is better - it removes the need for surface mount components which are fiddly to fit. Not sure why the creator thought surface mount components for his kit was a good idea to be honest.

I worked for a German company for 15 years so feel qualified to make the following statement… - the creator - Steve, is very German with his support! Very logical, matter of fact. If you don’t read his blogs or ask an illogical question - expect no reply or a stern one! Quite amusing actually.

I do recommend it actually. But remember it is a kit - so needs some patience and making skills (which I have some - and always keen to learn more!). So have enjoyed persisting with it.

@MadNat I ditched it some time ago on version 2.5f I found the GND missing on 2 of the ICs which he promptly fixed in version 2.6 but what was laughable is the same faults remain whether the ICs had power or not, most blamed their solder skills but I think at that time it just didn`t work properly on a Williams.

The V3.5 or now I see 3.6 :rolleyes: with the MPU on the bus is looking promising though I bought a Pinsound for the Getaway but I might try it in the Funhouse.

Im currently looking at the Lua features for LED interaction, I have made a cut down board with no audio that piggybacks the DMD socket purely to trigger LEDs with sound, testing it out at the moment.

Yes LUA is good - got you t working with my Feed Frenzy LED driver board which is promising.

He does like to tinker with the hardware - but can vouch for Williams compatibility from V3

I got the V3 board. Took some doing to get it working emoji23.png.

There is now a new V3.5 version which is better - it removes the need for surface mount components which are fiddly to fit. Not sure why the creator thought surface mount components for his kit was a good idea to be honest.

I worked for a German company for 15 years so feel qualified to make the following statement… - the creator - Steve, is very German with his support! Very logical, matter of fact. If you don’t read his blogs or ask an illogical question - expect no reply or a stern one! Quite amusing actually.

I do recommend it actually. But remember it is a kit - so needs some patience and making skills (which I have some - and always keen to learn more!). So have enjoyed persisting with it.
Thanks, just ordered the WPC/Data East kit, looks a handy way of doing this and a much cheaper price too.
Not much content out there on the install, I have no issue with the build part but will need to do a bit of reading around on how and what format the audio is needed.
I can see there is a browser interface now which is good.

Most of the support is via the Slack app. Ask Steve to add you to his channel when you get your order confirmation email. Alt sound files seem to work fine with the board I believe.

Back
Top Bottom