What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garage flooring - Gamesroom conversion

Richard

Registered
Hi All

I am in the process for converting Kate and I's garage into a gamesroom.

So far its gone very well, repairing the walls, installing electrics and fixing the lighting :)

However Ive hit an issue id like some opinions on:

The floor currently (like most garages) is a concrete slab, with practically no isulation. I dont know if insulation was put under the slab before setting.

I have already been given lots of reccomendations about flooring and I think I am going to go with hard wearing carpet tiles, the bit im struggling with is insulation as i know I will have lots of thermal loss through the floor.

Ive seen a couple of products that i could lay under the tiles, interlocking rubber car tiles or cork tiles to name a couple.

I have been scouring the internet and not really found much good advice, I would like to know if anybody esle has been through the same process?

Thanks!

It's pretty easy to determine if insulation was used... just feel the temperature compared to something outside.

Insulated concrete floors almost feel warm to the touch (or at least room temperature)

If it feels cold, like it's sucking the heat out of your hand, then it's a safe bet it isn't.

Tim

i would be surprised if more than just a moisture barrier was put down.

Hi Richard don't know if you can remember I have carpet tiles in one of the games rooms ( integral garage ) thay are the heavy duty ones I think ,have no problems with damp or being cold !
image.jpg
In the middle of it ,it looks a bit like felt what you put on the roof of a shed :hmm:

I'm doing the garage conversion at the mo and as Neil pointed out I'm going to be putting a damp proof membrane down with foil backed polystyrene underlay with a 12mm laminate on top.
Reckon that'll be sufficient

Try rubber horse stall matting, good value and good insulation.

Straw probably soaks up the split beer well

Thanks all, I think ill have to go for the cheaper option as at £240 for 6x4" itd cost me £3k to put down without the carpet tiles :O think id rather save it for machines :)

If anyone is interested in those 6 foot by 4 foot gym mats that Ark mat sell in the above link (they are £42.50 each), I have brand new ones for sale at £30 each (collection only). I was going to use them for a project but circumstances have changed. I am in Bournemouth BH65DF.

Back
Top Bottom