What's new

Games that overcome initial poor impressions

Jay Walker

Registered
What games do people think aren't really quite as bad as they first appear? To kick off, some I put in his category are;

Fish Tales - If you aren't a fisherman, you could take an initial dislike to this one (possibly increased by the music), but I actually rate it pretty highly. It has Mark Ritchie's signature cross-over ramps, good features and one of the most enjoyable video modes.

Rollergames - I never got to like the theme of this one, but it's saved by its similarity to High Speed. In fact I used to refer to it as High Speed 2, before Getaway/HS2 came out. Apart from the obvious items, the 'figure-8' lamps circling around had featured on a whitewood of High Speed.

Bally/Midway Hardbody - Despite finding the theme and artwork utterly horrible, I thought there was a halfway decent game under there. B/M must have thought it was o.k to re-hash an earlier game with very similar layout, 1982's 'BMX'. They're both 2-level games with player-controlled 'flexors', moving curved guide rails which close yawning gaps to left and right of the main flippers. Anyone have play experience of BMX? I've never seen one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom