What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones sword lock - screw type?

Retron

Registered
Hi all.

After hemming and hawing for over a year, I finally pulled the trigger last week and bought a pinball machine - Game of Thrones Pro, new in its box. (The date on the back is April 2017, so I suspect they had it kicking around in their stores for a while).

As a complete newbie to actually owning a pinball machine (rather than playing them in arcades, or bars etc) I've had a couple of dozen games, the sort that are pretty quick due to lack of skill!

Anyway, during one of these there was a slightly different "ping" noise to normal. I didn't really notice anything, until I lost the ball... and a locked ball, held in by the sword, wouldn't go anywhere. It turns out that "ping" was the sword's screw assembly flying apart. I've recovered the 'e' clamp and a washer, but can't find any sign of the screw that holds the sword to the actuator (I think that's what it's called, anyway). I've looked in the cabinet and have carefully examined the various holes etc on the playfield, but to no avail. There doesn't seem to be a screw hanging around in all the wires underneath, either, so goodness knows where it's gone.

I'll need a new screw. Annoyingly, the manual doesn't actually list that part, it just says "see playfield assembly notes" (and I can't find any mention of those, just a general view of the playfield). Would anyone here happen to know what that screw is called, so I can order one in? If not, I'll see what Liberty can come up with - I can't be the only one who's had a sword fly into pieces!

The screw can be seen in this render - it's the slotted screw in the middle of the sword's gaurd.

Thank you in advance - and apologies that my first post is one asking for some help.

welcome.gif to Pinball Info @Retron .
Sorry to hear you are having some trouble with your machine.
I take it you bought the machine from Home Leisure Direct, if so get back a hold of them and tell them your problem. They have a Tec guy there that should be able to sort out your problem for you.

Just noticed you bought from Liberty, my bad. Same answer get a hold of them and get them out to fix it.

Hate to think how much you paid through the teeth for that.

If they won’t help Phil at pinball heaven or Andy at pinball mania will be able to sort you out

Hate to think how much you paid through the teeth for that.
It had £200 off (genuinely off, too, as I'd been keeping an eye on it for over a year), although I suspect had I found these boards first I could have had one for less! That said, it was the last one they had, I reckon they discounted it to shift it. Home Leisure sold out some time ago, Pinball Heaven didn't have one listed and I wasn't aware at the time of any other suppliers of new machines.

Thank you for the info everyone - I've emailed Liberty, along with a photo showing the sword which is now held up by a cable tie, the sort you get with new keyboards and mice. It seems to work fine, but it doesn't look that great!

I'll let you know what they say, as this could be useful in future for anyone thinking of buying from them.

(As an aside, I'd assumed that by their nature pinball machines are liable to have bits stop working / break, right from the off. Perhaps that's not usually the case!)

£200 off prob don’t make a lot of difference when they over charge by several grand. As long as your happy with your purchase that’s all that counts. Just most of us would never buy from them or home leisure

£200 off prob don’t make a lot of difference when they over charge by several grand. As long as your happy with your purchase that’s all that counts. Just most of us would never buy from them or home leisure

I saw their price on this and for them it actually wasn’t too bad. I think their ‘Pro’ pricing is about the same as PH. You just don’t get Phil’s 2 year warranty. I think it’s their secondhand pins that are crazy stupid.

I hope you find your part, I have recently bought a GOT and it is an amazing machine! Luckily no sword issues yet!

After a week and a half, an update...

I emailed Liberty and they replied quickly. They wanted photos of the sword hole, so that their pinball technician could see what was required. It seems that part really isn't listed in the manual!

After sending them off, there was a wait of a few days, followed by a request for an appointment for their pinball technician to come and visit... he wanted to find that thing, rather than just send a new one.

As it seemed faintly daft to book a day off work so that some poor guy could drive here, spend a minute finding the screw and clipping it back in, I decided to take one last look myself.

That involved lifting the playfield, something that as a newbie to actually owning a pinball machine was rather daunting, especially as the videos online showed rails rather than the pegs my GoT Pro has. Nonetheless, I gave it a go (hey, I need to learn how it all works) and bam, there was the thing I was after, nestling at the back of the cabinet.

It turns out it's not a screw, but a custom part with a groove for the e-clip. A fiddly install later and it's all back to how it should be. I also spotted another screw in the bottom of the cabinet and it turns out that had fallen out from the battering ram - an easy fix.

All in all, a good result. I've saved a precious day of annual leave, I've saved someone from having to drive for a simple job and I've learned how to lift a playfield. Now I've done it once, it's no longer anywhere near as scary doing it again!

bolt3.jpgunderside.jpgsword3.jpg

Nice work buddy 👍 I remember my first machine it was a SF2 ,it took me about a mouth to work out how to take the glass off 😂 and congrats in buying your first NIB as well👍👍

You may or may not know this but don't use the Factory balls that it comes with it , as they are crap ! Buy some new ones from Andy pinball mania or Phil for pinball Heaven as soon as possible !

Yeah, always good to find things out and everyone on here started somewhere.

Funnily enough, SFII was my first machine too and that taught me the basics, not that I have moved on since then!

I remember buying my first game. Plugged it in and it came straight on.

Spent 3 months turning it on and off at the wall socket. Only discovered they had an on switch when I got my second machine and was puzzled as to why it wouldn’t start when plugged in

It’s a pretty steep learning curve at the start 😉

Back
Top Bottom