What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Furthest you've driven for a pin

jonathan

Site Supporter
I've just got back from a 900mile drive from Newcastle - Folkestone - Channel Tunnel - Northern France and back again for these

img.photobucket.com_albums_v640_spartanheed_E8AF891A_E52C_465C_A120_889086663729_zpsutm1m5kp.jpg

Anyone gone further?

My only advice would be to get LOTS of pictures before you go to save a wasted journey

Nice one Jonathan, quite a journey! 2 more pins in the country :). I wonder how the numbers balance out import vs export?

Did a similar trek years ago from Wiltshire to Utrech and Apeldoorn in Holland. Was around the same distance. Picked up Stargate, DESW and a STTNG along with a Tron Arcade for someone else.
Lots of the pinball collectors used to do regular trips to Europe to pick up pins. Think @Fishbulb went to Switzerland for his TronLE.

I did a run to Milan in a hired transit and picked up 8 pins a few years ago, ( I don't recommend trying to sleep in the back half way up mont blanc) it was a long drive and I was shattered when I got home, but picked up some good games, MB, AFM, CV, SS, TAF, LOTR, HS2 & RS. However, they weren't the ones I left to collect, the pics were very misleading and a couple I had to change/re-negotiate which wasn't ideal.

You have to be careful with pics, no matter how good they are. I imported one recently, the seller sent loads of high res close up pics which made the pin look immaculate.

But the pictures were sneakily angled to hide any cracked plastics and play field marks. I guess that's the gamble you take, you can't be sure unless you see it in person.

Yeah that's the problem, not as easy to turn around and leave empty handed when you spent 15hours getting somewhere

I was told the SS had been routed and was a bit ropey but the TAF was better. Found it to be the other way round bizarrely. The TAF cabinet has split at the front and someone has screwed it back together. It's under the leg so can't be seen but it will knock a little off the resale value. Looking back it's the only part of the cabinet he didn't send a picture of!

I might sell the pair further down the line and buy a mint TAF as a keeper but I'm just going to enjoy playing hem for now.

Mansion is decent for a routed game

img.photobucket.com_albums_v640_spartanheed_BC507A2E_BA45_478E_8F77_BA61DBDE2834_zpscp6o9spu.jpg

That Mansion is way to good for a routed game. Sure it's not a decal ??
If not that's a great result. I'd of expected a worn Mansion but that looks pretty good.

Definitely not a decal. Playfield is very good except for some strange scratches around the bottom of the slings. Almost look like they've been done with a Stanley knife :confused: I'm wondering if the glass has shattered at some point and there's been a couple of bits left in that the balls dragged?

have 2 games brought in alongside a friends container load of video cabs from California. other way around sold a GnR to Melbourne and a NIB Als Garage Band to Nevada. furthest to actually pick up a game under our own steam would be Penzance and Hawick

And driving 2200 miles to get it must make it even worse than what it is.

No but I needed a road trip :D, Plus we stopped a the National Corvette Museum and plant... Yes I'm a Corvette nut also. So the game fit right in. :p

Something I'm curious about re. Corvettes is the colour of the '54 Corvette 'Nomad' show-car - from black & white photos I can only tell it was a dark colour. I imagine a copper metallic, contrasting with the aluminium roof.

Apologies for taking the thread off-topic.

So turns out a lot of the scratches on TAFs Playfield are actually torn bits of an aftermarket Playfield protector like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/131671769656

I don't know at what stage of the games life it was put on but someone's pulled bits off around the flippers and slings leaving dirt marks around the edges and a couple of of scratches where they've tried to lift it in other places. I'm considering stripping it down and just removing the lot. Even the little bit of mansion wear is actually Mylar wear, the mansion underneath is fine.

The cabinet is good save for a massive chunk out of the corner under one of the legs. The twat failed to mention that! :mad: Looks like I'm learning how to use wood filler

img.photobucket.com_albums_v640_spartanheed_A34B7E56_F80B_4B6E_8BFB_1D7DD8CCAAD5_zpsrjyneeec.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v640_spartanheed_E1BC1259_C168_4019_A11A_6C129005636C_zpsudwm9bxx.jpg

The same stuff is in SS too. Wonder if it's a French thing?

img.photobucket.com_albums_v640_spartanheed_AF1DB948_8D37_4BE0_A76F_D0D9B60C9599_zps3ewz4p8j.jpg

The cabinet is good save for a massive chunk out of the corner under one of the legs. The twat failed to mention that! :mad: Looks like I'm learning how to use wood filler

Maybe he didn't know about it, or didn't think it was important if it was entirely hidden from view

Back
Top Bottom