What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forum Terms and conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
If racism and using racist terms is unacceptable and the majority agree it should have a "zero tolerance" policy, you can't then not ban someone who uses racist terms or give them a shorter ban because they are well liked. You either have a no tolerance policy, or you don't. Reducing the ban makes it sets the precedent that any language is tolerated as long as you apologise after, or it's only a month ban so it doesn't matter.
You get a lighter sentence for manslaughter than you do for murder. Context and intent is important when determining a punishment.

Last edited:
The mods could have given him a permanent forum ban with a zero tolerance policy? Just 6 months *is* pretty lenient. He's banned from the forum, not from attending events and the community as a whole.

What context makes racist jokes acceptable? I can't think of any.

As I've said I do feel for Col and I don't believe he's racist, I think it was ill thought out, but doesn't mean it was okay.

just catching up on this thread. Wowser.

There is a hell of a lot of virtue signalling going on here.

Although I'm sure everyone agrees racism is unacceptable, thanks partly to the USA, all we talk about is racism and LGBT etc. We have a health system that doesn't work, useless Police Force (sorry, service), no trains, councils crumbling etc etc and we are on the verge of WW3. China and Russia are playing a blinder.

Some people ned to get some perspective.

just catching up on this thread. Wowser.

There is a hell of a lot of virtue signalling going on here.

Although I'm sure everyone agrees racism is unacceptable, thanks partly to the USA, all we talk about is racism and LGBT etc. We have a health system that doesn't work, useless Police Force (sorry, service), no trains, councils crumbling etc etc and we are on the verge of WW3. China and Russia are playing a blinder.

Some people ned to get some perspective.

I can't see how any of this is "virtue signalling", if that's even a real thing (outside of major corps). Being against using those words is not "virtue signalling".

I don't know who you regularly talk to or what social circles you get involved in but I rarely hear about LGBTQ or Racism issues over the current state of the country. Friends of mine are often talking about the state of the gov, police, rent/landlords/mortgages, the railway, corruption etc.
Maybe you notice the other things more because you don't like seeing them.
People can care about lots of different things at once!

Seconded on the 🔒

I could jump in here to debate the virtues (or not, in this case) of overly-punitive anti-racism policies as a way of achieving positive social change, but I don't think that's a discussion for a pinball forum.

@Dracoola I'm so sorry you felt that way about what I wrote. I wasn't trying to attack people based on age/education. I was using those things to try to argue that a 6-month ban was too much for a 'first offence' (as many others are doing) as it achieves nothing good or constructive. Please give our community a second chance - (offline) it is very friendly and welcoming 😍

Really?

Really, Really?

Think you've missed my point

What's your point then?
That noone really cares about Racism they're just saying it to look good (isn't that what virtue signalling is supposed to be?)

That there's more important issues in the world than racism and LGBTQ issues? So we should ignore them?

My point is that all those 'signalling their virtue' by being the perfect human being would have some time in their life said something similar. I have. That's life. We're not all perfect. This does' detract from the racism aspect.

I said:

Although I'm sure everyone agrees racism is unacceptable,

That there's more important issues in the world than racism and LGBTQ issues?

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. I'm not saying ignore them but if we ever get taken over by China or Russia, this will be at the bottom of your priority list.

Look, this thing has become overblown in my view and I won't say anything else about it. Just a shame that someone that does so much for the pinball community got banned for a non-personal attack. End.

If you have lived your life in a war zone, maybe it feels appropriate to compare all over situations to that to decide if things are bad or not, but that isn't healthy. It means all attempts to develop and advance can be zero'd back to the worst possible scenarios.
Prejudices do not come from a position of strength, and they make us weaker as we create divides where there is no need for them.

If you want the freedom to say what you like, there is a load of places on the internet for you to do that with other like minded people.
If you want to talk about the hobby that is pinball, and be part of the community, then we ask that you don't use language that divides people.

I am locking this thread as I don't see any good is coming from this.
PM me if you want to argue with me. PM Paul and Nick if you want me banned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom