What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fliptronic Flipper Upgrade for Early Bally Solid State Games

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
So, i've been working on another project alongside my others since the play expo show back in october last year. I've kept this one quiet until now as i just got the final bugs and issues straightened out and have a basic proto working.

The idea came from chats and discussions with Andy (pinball mania) and my other friends who have early Bally games who played my arduino based supersonic pinball table. The idea was to find a way to upgrade the flipper control of early bally games and give the flipper and their response a little more kick and bite, but without having to change the flipper mechs, power requirements, or buttons.

So, i have created a board that can be retro fitted into existing bally power driver boards by replacing the flipper relay. This board is cpu controlled reading the switch button inputs, performing switch debouncing and in turn driving the flipper coils via 2 mosfet transistors. This gives the flippers a little more snap as all the power is sent to the flipper straight away. It also means the flipper buttons will no longer wear out, as they are now low voltage not high voltage ground drives.

Further more, another feature of having a cpu controlled board and an idea i have is you can have various 'party mode' settings built in a dip switch options For example:

SW1: Reversed Flippers
SW2: Timed Flippers
SW3: Weak Flippers
SW4: Double Flippers

Here's some pics of my prototype.

IMG_3638.JPG IMG_3639.jpg

I will be at 8 bit flip on the saturday and will bring this board along. I'll be happy to chat about it and the features it will offer. Please let me know if you would be interested in such a board for your games?

I don't have a fixed price yet, but i am aiming for around £40 - £50 plus vat and any shipping. The next stage of development will be to get a nice neat pcb layed out and made that will plug into the existing driver board. As with all my projects it will be a neat affair and look factory.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom