What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flippers - yellow capacitors

Durzel

Registered
So.. I'm going to buy 3 flipper rebuild kits for my mates Funhouse (gives me some soldering practice on something that isn't mine :D). I've noticed that his flippers are an older style that in my TAF, they have a big yellow capacitor next to the EOS, and a compression spring on the plunger rather than connecting the pawl to the EOS plate.

If I'm going to the trouble of rebuilding them, should I upgrade him to the newer variant? (i.e. buy new base plates, etc)

Also - do I have to reinstall the yellow capacitors? (I'd buy new ones if they are needed). Why does it exist on this game and not e.g. TAF?

Thanks chaps and chapesses.

Hmm, scratch the above.. the newer rebuild kits come with normally open EOS switches, and Funhouse uses normally closed ones. Lot of faffing when I could just buy the right kits.

TAF was a fliptronic game so it had an extra board in the head that controlled the high voltage to the flipper coils using power transistors. The flipper buttons have low voltage switches.

Funhouse is old school. The HV goes through the flipper switches direct to the flipper coils so it needs the capacitors to reduce arcing

It wouldn't be necessary to get new base plates in any case, they weren't altered in the Wpc era. My own preference was decidedly against the newer springing arrangement, and as a result I wouldn't use the newer type flipper link either (it doesn't suit the conical return spring), even on later games built using it/them

Is this the Funhouse with a lamp matrix problem, btw?

it is indeed. The lamp matrix problem was fixed. The connector for the Start button was wired incorrectly.

Back
Top Bottom