What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flipper stuck in up position

cooldan

i like pizza
[attachment=42:gif ralph eating paste.gif]

OK, i rebuilt the flippers with new parts, finally got them all aligned; now they're good 'n strong but an old intermittent problem has again reared its head. One of the flippers gets stuck up after playing a while (not immediately). I can make it drop sometimes by frenzied flipper button pressing, and power off means it always drops, so i'm confident that it's electrical rather than mechanical.

It's a DE 1996 Goldeneye so i wasn't sure if pinrepair's info is still good, as that says its only to '95: it says

"check/replace the flipper coil diode. If the flipper coil diode is broken or shorted on, the flipper coil will stay energized after first using the flipper(s). Replace this diode with a new 1N4004 or 1N4007 diode."........ "If the solidstate flipper(s) are still stuck in the Up position, then check the solidstate flipper board's TIP36 and TIP32 transistors. "

so where are these things and what do they look like? if the parts are cheap and if this is an easy fix, i'll have a go myself. otherwise, well..... i'll probably only make it worse and injure myself at the same time. i'm a bit like Ralph Wiggum

Its true. A bad diode on the flipper coil will keep it turned on. The diode is mounted across the terminals of the flipper coil. Easy to replace, (if you can solder).

silly Q - is the flipper mech sticking, or is the bat (plastic) spinning on the metal shaft.

silly Q - is the flipper mech sticking, or is the bat (plastic) spinning on the metal shaft.

not a silly question (or anyway, i'm too new to know the difference) - the shaft is gripped nice and tight, and the bat is tight on the shaft.

when i rebuilt it i found it had a williams bushing instead of a Sega one (doesn't go right through the playfield) so i replaced that but it was still not working.

Andy N gave me some of the right kind of diode at the Daventry show - thanks buddy - but now i need the last bit of help:

[attachment=84:diode thingy.jpg]

my question is this - do i solder above or below the holes? do i include the red coil wires in the solder? i think i can tell the direction of the thing from the white stripe, but is there anything else i should look out for?

thanks guys

Just loop the diodes legs through the two holes and wrap the excess around the two metal tabs. Do your soldering on the metal tabs that the red and blue wires are attached to. The red coil wires should already be soldered to these tabs, so once you attach the diode with your solder, they will be connected.

Back
Top Bottom