What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted flat bits of metal with a hole in

cooldan

i like pizza
hi there, i need a couple of flat pieces of metal about the size of a playing card, both with a hole in that's about the size of a leg bolt, maybe a shade bigger. it's to use as makeshift washers to hold a bolt in place. the bolt in question goes through plywood but has gouged a hole and fallen through, so i need something to put it back in place and reinforce it - basically a big metal washer above and below the wood.

here's a pic
IMG_7761.JPG

has anyone got anything lying around that could possibly fix my board? bolt diameter is about 10mm, bolt head diameter about 17mm, so the hole has to be about 12-15mm or it won't work. i don't want to use a different bolt as this one is the perfect length

strange request, i agree. but you don't ask, you don't get.

thanks mate, that'd be fantastic. just thin like a washer, thin as can be without being too weak.

thanks Jayteedot, but the problem would be the hole, i haven't got the tools to make that hole - it needs a huge drill bit or a punch thing. i looked in my toolbox and around the house for something i could adapt, but nothing.

this is on a dolly that i move pins around on, it's supposed to be rated for 200kg, but of course when you're lifting on or off, a corner can take all of 150kg on one wheel, so they're not strong enough. i expect the other corners will also blow out at some point, so if anyone is going to the trouble of machining these for me, i'll happily pay their costs and something for their time, and take a bunch of them (40 or so). i have loads of these dolleys and this isn't the first one to blow a corner out, bad design really, or maybe i just shoulda specified when i got them made that i wanted metal strengthening around the castors

Had a shufty round my shed as thought I had some plates/large washers that was transit packing off a washing machine but must have binned them when er indoors helped me tidy up :eek:

thanks Jayteedot, but the problem would be the hole, i haven't got the tools to make that hole - it needs a huge drill bit or a punch thing. i looked in my toolbox and around the house for something i could adapt, but nothing.

this is on a dolly that i move pins around on, it's supposed to be rated for 200kg, but of course when you're lifting on or off, a corner can take all of 150kg on one wheel, so they're not strong enough. i expect the other corners will also blow out at some point, so if anyone is going to the trouble of machining these for me, i'll happily pay their costs and something for their time, and take a bunch of them (40 or so). i have loads of these dolleys and this isn't the first one to blow a corner out, bad design really, or maybe i just shoulda specified when i got them made that i wanted metal strengthening around the castors

How does it look when it's not knackered Dan - I'm struggling to visualise it? If you need a load, I'd guess an ebay seller would drill the hole through them for you at whatever diameter you want, probably for nothing, as I guess they are machine shops just selling their excess stock and drilling a hole through 40 sheets all on top of each other is <5 mins work. But if it's taking significant load, then mild steel would be better than aluminium; more than 1mm thick too. I'd suggest over-engineering rather than trying to be too scientific about it.

I suspect you won't need reinforcement underneath, the bit at the top of the castor looks like it would spread that load. The problem looks to be the relatively small bolt head, and more importantly the recess reducing the thickness of ply, so the bolt just tears through the wood?!?

If having the reinforcing metal and bolt head protruding on the top is not a problem, do you have a power drill? You can buy larger drill bits that will fit a standard 10mm power drill chuck - like this one: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/twist-drill-bits/4244169/. Just look for HSS bits of the diameter you want, which will cut metal with ease, and avoid masonry drill bits - they look different and are for stone, brick, etc.

Plates I have are 1 1/2 " x2"
Are thay ok

If so will drill hole now !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: JT.
Back
Top Bottom