What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Fixing Nasty SMD Stern Boards, specifically 520-5289-00 (2x LED Bright Flash Boards) ...

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
Not sure if this is the correct place for this 'journey' but seems the closest match.

I am progressing through a 'journey' to fix some SMD Stern Boards, which are specifically to drive the bright double flasher leds on Stern Indy (and maybe some others, not sure). Part number for the board is 520-5289-00.

IMG_5247.JPG

Now, these seem prone to going wrong and generally blowing up or stopping working, so i thought i'd have a look and see how hard it is to fix them. My Indy has 3 of the 4 broken, so i need to get this sorted to. I want to be able to include nice effects in my rewrite using these boards.

Originally i thought it may be possible to find replacements, but that seems like a big no, and therefore fixing them is the only option. The circuit is not too complex, the biggest issue the smd design. Damn you stern!

So in summary, i have 2 boards that don't flash bright any longer and 1 board that either locks on randomly, or is just off all the time.

After some initial testing of the first board to check various resistors and track traces I have ordered some new transistors and voltage regulators and will start here on the circuit to see what comes to life after this. I have tested the LEDs themselves using a small 5v feed injection and they work, so this is good.

Pretty damn happy tonight, just fixed all 3 (of 4) broken led flasher boards in my stern indy :) Seems the voltage regulator on them isn't too happy after a few years use. All 3 had the same fault, though was manifesting itself in different ways.

IMG_5262.JPG

Video of a fixed board in the skull flasher position

Is it prone to fail again Jim or did you fit a higher rated regulator ?

Last edited:
Is it prone to fail again Jim or did you fit a higher rated regulator ?

I have used a higher rated version so should be good for awhile now. The game is now 8 years old and it shows yet again that SMD is not as robust as plate through. Worrying for new 'node' board stern games coming out now...

Fixing these rubbish stern smd nightmare boards PART 2!

So, all was well for awhile! And then something wasn't! The fault seems to be the LED board just started to turn on randomly and lock on for periods then fade off and on etc etc

More investigation reveals that R3 1K resistor is a weak point on these boards to. Because of the SMD design and most likely the wrong wattage used the resistors destroy themselves after a period of time. Bad stern, very bad! Seeing as marco lists replacement boards at $89 dollars, yes $89 per board replacements just aren't an option. Plus they'll just do the same thing in time anyway.

So it was time to look at fixing these again. Here's how i sorted it this time. Installing a proper 0.25W 1K resistor with air gap. Plugged board back in and all good again.

IMG_6259.JPG

Think you need to do your own version

Yes I am. These boards are like my nemesis! Awful smd design! Cool camera flash LEDs though

The board I'm making will be the same size as the original with as many plate through parts as possible, plus the control design will be much more robust. Smd resistors often just aren't upto the current draw over a long period

Last edited:
Ok, new parts sourced and prototype made. I added some extra pulse duration in the proto for testing needs. This probably won't be in the final version.

Good skills, I'm not familiar with these boards as I'm yet to own a stern. But it's great to see people making improved more affordable replacement stuff

First new pcb board assembled and tested in my game

Video here of it in test mode

Now taking orders for replacing your games busted ones. Assembled and tested boards will be £30 each inc vat plus postage This works out at less than half the cost of an original replacement (if you could have found one) from the states, and not including any import duties.

I will be adding the product to my webstore here: http://mypinballs.co.uk/electronics/store.jsp but feel free to contact me directly to.

Last edited:
Some more pics of installing a set of boards in my game. Really happy with the brightness of them. pinside.com_img_smilies_icon_smile.gif

IMG_6840.jpg IMG_6842.jpg IMG_6841.jpg IMG_6843.JPG

Back
Top Bottom