What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FIXED Flipper not springing back

Andy Hancock

Site Supporter
994F250D-178C-4041-9B53-96E364B044DB.jpeg Typical noob technical question from me!

On my SM one flipper not springing back.

Removed the coil to see if its getting caught inside that from mushrooming but doesn’t spring back even with the coil removed

Swapped spring with other one and it isn’t that

Gap between flipper and playfield looks alright to me . Not quite as big as other one but can slide paper folded 3 or 4 times under it

Just seems a bit stiff

What should I do next ?

Hello, Andy,

The metal 'roll pin' holding the grey plastic flipper linkage into the plunger seems to be working its way loose (unless it's simply too long). It might be best to remove the plunger & linkages, and tap the pin back in or replace with a better plunger/link (the plunger looks a little worn, and the pin shouldn't be able to just fall out)).

Loosen the Allen bolt closing the 'crank' onto the flipper shaft, take the flipper paddle/shaft out and then it'll be possible to remove the entire plunger and linkages after unhooking the spring. There'll be a bolt of some kind through the crank, with that nut at the bottom holding in the plastic link.

Gap between flipper and playfield looks alright to me . Not quite as big as other one but can slide paper folded 3 or 4 times under it

Just seems a bit stiff

What should I do next ?

I assume you mean gap between the underside of the flipper and the top of the flipper bushing that goes through the playfield, not between the flipper and the playfield surface? you should have slight vertical lift of the flipper if you grab it and pull up near the shaft end, recommended is 0.7mm but as long as there's some it shouldn't be binding on the bushing.

541f6d3e4ce77b3c748806c4e360242de3054738.jpg

that plunger and link needs throwing in the bin just replace the plunger and link end stop coil sleeve bolt between crank and plunger and new spring also make sure there is a bush in the link

Fixed thanks. Just the gap between the flipper and the bushing. No idea how that closes up on its own.

I know that’s a very easy fix but they are all firsts for me. My first flipper rebuild will have to wait another day but I can see that is fairly easy too

Once again thanks all

Back
Top Bottom