What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fishtales dotmatrix issue

Body pop

Registered
This is what my fishtales dotmatrix looks like ,you can still see it changing displays etc
It was ok until I borrowed the ribbon cable to try on another machine .ive tried a different ribbon cable and reseating all the other cables .is this pointing at a dodgy control board ,can these be picked up used ? Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 33
Thick questions:

Have you put the original ribbon cable back in to the Fish Tales since you borrowed it for the other machine?

Are you absolutely sure the ribbon is connected the right way round at both ends when you re-attach it?

Never thick questions as far as I'm concerned with this stuff

Yes is the original cable is back in .what is the rule for connecting them the right way incase
I know I have the red on the left of the board
What side should it be at on matrix
Thanks for reply

Just double checked it and it's connect ok .
Looks like it's the board then possibly ?
Does anyone sell them on here ?

With the power switched off, reseat (pull off and back on a few times) the ribbon cable at each connection from the MPU to the fliptronic board, sound board and the DMD display PCB. Also from the DMD display PCB to the back of the DMD. Then power up and see what the display is like. Then report back...

With the power switched off, reseat (pull off and back on a few times) the ribbon cable at each connection from the MPU to the fliptronic board, sound board and the DMD display PCB. Also from the DMD display PCB to the back of the DMD. Then power up and see what the display is like. Then report back...

All done ,the screen has changed but not any better .though something's happened .
There was a light flashing on the bottom left board before ( sound board) it's not flashing anymore ,it was too light of the two together on left

Never thick questions as far as I'm concerned with this stuff

Yes is the original cable is back in .what is the rule for connecting them the right way incase
I know I have the red on the left of the board
What side should it be at on matrix
Thanks for reply

The Red end of the ribbon cable shoud be in Pin 1 on the board connection on both boards. Boards sometimes have a small "1" printed on them next to the pins to mark this or if not it should be explicitly denoted in the board diagram in the manual.

Do it the wrong way round on either board and you will have data issues (unsurprisingly as it IS the data cabling).

If it is the board then Pinball Heaven sell new replacements for sure. You may get lucky with someone on here having a second-hand one available, although most people would prob keep any spares in case of issues with their own machines.

On my fishtales I reseated the short ribbon connector once to remedy resets. After that it lost half the gi, some coils and garbled the dmd. I just kept reseating it until it worked.

I will maybe stick a wanted add up for a board .but I will try reseating another load of times first .it would be nice to get one of those arcade heaven boards ,but they are very expensive .
Il also maybe get a new cable first ,incase both are shot .anyone got a link to the cable

Back
Top Bottom