What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found it! Fish Tales Front Cabinet Decal - And then did the whole cabinet!

Garry Sp8

Site Supporter
Long shot I know but does anyone have a spare front cabinet decal for a Fishy? Mine has completely faded out and has ugly lock bar holes.
Would be nice to tidy it up as the rest is reasonable.
🤞

Well that looks more like it 😁

E02BE875-85A6-45FB-AD69-6A9EACBC2C74.jpeg

557D4456-658C-41C1-9696-9A2A9574D99D.jpeg

Although I must admit - decided I’d try my hand at doing the whole cabinet!
D9D16A72-E7D2-4CBC-8C83-7D3341FADE07.jpeg

Which turned out really nice in the end 👍.

I need to do this to my FishTales. Have the decals bought ages ago but no room to do the sanding. Guess now the weather is changing I can do it outside.. how long did it take you to prep the cabinet. Did you bother painting internal cab?

You before picture in comparison to my FT is barely faded! The finished job looks lovely, I have a set of cab decals inside my FT waiting for time and space (at the same moment).

Just need the new man cave building, then I will have space, but it all stopped before it really started due to this CV19, still bigger problems in the world.

I did the backbox first - that was pretty easy because the graphics are printed onto the wood so just sanded straight off - I did it outside. Once sanded, it appeared to be in pretty good condition. I used a variable speed random orbital sander - got it from Wickes and reasonably priced. I also have a "Mouse" which is good for lighter use and finishing.

IMG_7993.JPG
IMG_7994.JPG

Then filled any areas where there were scrapes and the corners and edges that were damaged. Used the Ronseal high performance stuff in natural colour. Sanded it back then filled again. Lastly sanded again and cleaned off.
I then painted the edges with satin black. Also painted the front edges and inside back to the inside edge of where the translite rests. Before applying the graphics, I lightly sanded the sides with fine grit wetndry paper and then cleaned off. Then applied a 2nd coat of paint to the edges. Then really light sand and clean again. Don't have any photos of this part.

IMG_8028.JPG

Applied the decals like this guy did it:
http://robertwinter.com/pinball/restorations/ft/backbox/index.html
After completing this part - which probably took 4 or 5 days due to leaving filler stages overnight and a couple of days for the paint coats to fully go off.
I had already stripped, cleaned and had the playfield touched up ready for re-building, so was doing that in between.

Re-assembled the back box after cutting the holes for the bolts. I painted the bolts with black enamel. I cleaned the smaller silver screws with scotchbrite.
The original dome was broken so I used the one off my White Water which is in good condition. (A new one is going on my Whitewater)
I managed to get the silver foil off the original dome by heating it with a hair dryer and stuck it on the replacement. Also got a new Shells Decal from M of P.

IDYX6585.JPG

IMG_8053.JPG

I'll continue this later with how I went on doing the cabinet and some photos of the finished machine.

Back
Top Bottom