What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress First house & Pinroom, advice appreciated - this is all your fault! (2023 update!)

Ah that winning combination of pink and purple. You can't beat it haha.

Honestly mate, just squeeze the pins in any which way you can just now. Two new pins will keep you busy for a long while and by the looks of that house, it will be a huge development over a number of years. Focus on the rest of the place as pins will always be here when you finish it.
You are doing the right thing. It is a huge achievement to do up a house. No matter what skill level you are.
I know a few people who have dozens of machines and they still rent a property. Puzzles me why folk would do that.

Good luck with it all

They'll live in the kitchen till the side room is done. But the other rooms are the priorities except the kitchen and spare rooms.. Would really love to get the kitchen done as soon as possible but that's a big amount of money to save. I had quite a bit of money saved to decorate along with the starting of savings for a kitchen but that's gone due to the typical things of new house ownership that I hadn't considered like rewiring and a new boiler 🤦🏻‍♂️

The pins have been a huge motivation for the house, knowing they will be here is helping me get through the stress 😁

Luckly don't have to move out of our current home for a couple weeks!

one thing you might consider is to put down a much more solid floor, 22mm OSB boards with maybe a few more joists underneath. I spent a few quid on this on my shed and so glad I did, nothing worse than pinball machines on a wobbly floor.

Neil.

Congratulations on finally getting the house, and not one but two pins to start out @David_Vi ! Maybe you'll find you like Rosie even more than the Roadshow!

It looks like you have your work cut out for you. I'll be waiting for the invite round once you're ready :)

Now let's see how you well you manage to spend further savings on the house and not more machines 🤣

With room for 7 pins it won’t take long to fill that room up (I swear the buggers breed when you are not looking)
Good luck with your renovation and collection and give me a nudge when you want to sell Rosie, I’ve always fancied one.

With room for 7 pins it won’t take long to fill that room up (I swear the buggers breed when you are not looking)
Good luck with your renovation and collection and give me a nudge when you want to sell Rosie, I’ve always fancied one.

With the way the budget is going I'm grateful I saved and bought the first pins before getting the keys. I'd not be able to justify that money now😁
So do doubt I'll get anymore for quite some time.
The Rosie has been owned by many on this forum so I'm hoping to continue the tradition and move it on at some point 😁

I'm edging toward carpet tiles for the room as it seems the best option for pinball.

I haven't been to the house for a few days so I'm not sure what the floor is like under the carpet but I believe it's solid rather than wood. Is there anything i should consider with carpet tiles?

I'm struggling even deciding on colours, whether one or a pattern.

So we're in properly now, i say properly, we're sleeping lounge as we haven't got the bedrooms ready yet.
Only just had the electrician and plumber finish.

The pinball room is a storage room while the rest of the house is worked on but I did receive some track lighting ready to go up.

Oh look what arrived today!
20200819_143040.jpg

But no pin room to put them in yet!
I had intended for the pins to sit in the kitchen - where pictured- for now, there's plenty of room but it's also where we intend to get patio doors installed. The pins could have stayed there for now but due to the patio door idea we're getting pipework rerouted so it seemed silly to leave the pins in the kitchen only to move them again.
Martin tried to get Rosie through a the door frame into the utility room, (which had just enough room for them both and leads onto the pin room so at least they're closer!)
By nope the door frame is a couple of mm narrower than the kitchen door frame, what a blow that was!

So they were left in kitchen as pictured earlier.
It was decided to try that backbox twist trick. Which at the time felt like a lot of work and my god RS is heavy!

Huzzah they're in and set up!
20200819_231031.jpg

How strange to now be a pin owner! It finally happened, in a house that has a lounge thats a bedroom, a pin room that's a storage unit, 3 bedrooms that are floorboards and destruction and chased walls throughout 😂
Afterall, buying my first home was motivated by pinball!

It'll get there....
The pin room at present...
20200819_101354.jpg

I don't know if you are doing a rewire but I did this and would recommend it.
4 twin sockets around the room , each of those sockets are switched (via a contactor) in the fuse board.
There is a 4 gang light switch behind the door that controls each socket.
So I can switch on certain stuff when needed.
Room also has a circuit of normal sockets.

New to site and this is my first post 😀 Love your story. I have owned one or two tables over the last 20 years and am inept at anything technical apart from cleaning the table and changing the odd light Oe two and rubbers. I discovered Flip Out 3 weeks ago and just love the place. It has made me rediscover my love of Pinball and I’m booked in the next 2 Saturdays. Love going to the place. While my wife goes shopping for clothes and spends a fortune on her hair - I’ll spend my tenner in Flip Out and have the best time. Am currently looking to trade my Batman Forever but trying to work out what table I would want. Have narrowed search down to about 20 😂😂 Good luck with house

I don't know if you are doing a rewire but I did this and would recommend it.
4 twin sockets around the room , each of those sockets are switched (via a contactor) in the fuse board.
There is a 4 gang light switch behind the door that controls each socket.
So I can switch on certain stuff when needed.
Room also has a circuit of normal sockets.

We have had a rewire done but the electrician was a moody pos. So there's a few things we're having to get fixed by another sparky. The guy was cheaper and that's where we went wrong I think! I want to put it down to it being our first house and inexperience dealing with tradespeople.
But we have got four double sockets installed along the main wall. The switches are clever, wouldn't have considered that!

I see Roadshow is on credit. Is that on purpose?

Yeah, fiddling. 😁 As most of my pinball experience has been free to play I wanted to try get a more authentic feeling. Being able to win credits feels good and I was intending to use the pins as a savings device for change from work. Hasn't happened yet as RS has a few issues.

New to site and this is my first post 😀 Love your story. I have owned one or two tables over the last 20 years and am inept at anything technical apart from cleaning the table and changing the odd light Oe two and rubbers. I discovered Flip Out 3 weeks ago and just love the place. It has made me rediscover my love of Pinball and I’m booked in the next 2 Saturdays. Love going to the place. While my wife goes shopping for clothes and spends a fortune on her hair - I’ll spend my tenner in Flip Out and have the best time. Am currently looking to trade my Batman Forever but trying to work out what table I would want. Have narrowed search down to about 20 😂😂 Good luck with house

It was only a year ago I visited Flipout for the first time... Now look what's happened hah.
I love Flip Out, well worth the nearly two hour drive for me.

Now here's a bump. How things escalated.... A doorway was installed and the room was filled, many comps ran and the room remained an unfinished mess!

So after 3 years this room is finally getting done.
The 7 games are either on loan or in storage.

20230903_164003.jpg
20230903_164005.jpg

Tomorrow builders arrive with the work including;
Taking out the useless front door, bricking it up and putting in a new window.
Moving the gas main so it's not in the way(still not sure where).
Raising the radiator so its at the right height for the new floor.
Raising the floor using screed then celotex/insulation
Skirting and new door surround sorted.
Plastering and making good.
Painted!

Hopefully the work will take two weeks.

And afterwards I'm going to install red and black(or grey) carpet tiles and a day night blind.

Up until a week ago I wanted it painted black, but came around to a dark grey. I'm still not sure and would like some advice or inspiration.
Maybe one wall red and the rest a light grey?

I want something that goes well with the red and black carpet tiles but don't want it to be too over the top or too dull.

It's exciting to finally get the room to feel like a pinroom, I put it off too long because buying more pins always felt more attractive than spending a few £k on getting the room done 🙈

I’ll preface this by saying that paint choices etc are a very personal decision and you should go with whatever you want the room to look like - but I was also contemplating going for darker walls when I did my pin room conversion and I’m really glad I was talked out of it.

It’s worth considering what the room will look like with the lights off or dimmed, and the machines on. Light colours reflects light, whereas dark colours absorb it. Personally, I really like how the light from the machines paints the walls as I play, but you might feel differently.

Up until a week ago I wanted it painted black, but came around to a dark grey. I'm still not sure and would like some advice or inspiration.
The black tiles will go with any other colour, so I'd suggest looking for colours that work with the red. There's some science between which colours work well together (often based around the concept of the 'colour' wheel'), but googling which colours go with red should get you some decent ideas. Here's one link

Have you considered underfloor heating to get rid of the radiator? Since you're re-doing the floor anyway...

Have you considered underfloor heating to get rid of the radiator? Since you're re-doing the floor anyway...
Might be a bit too late for that and add a lot more to the costs 😫

If I'd have considered it intially I'd have not got the new rad

Cheers for the colour advice, I think I'm going to go grey all round but have one wall behind the pins a shade of red, not 100% yet. Need to look for some examples online.

It's begun!
20230904_091038.jpg

Could see about moving the rad to under the window?

Less pin room then😄 it's not really taken much room where it is now. It also works as a nice drink shelf!

Cheers for the colour advice, I think I'm going to go grey all round but have one wall behind the pins a shade of red, not 100% yet. Need to look for some examples online.

It's begun!
View attachment 230789

Less pin room then😄 it's not really taken much room where it is now. It also works as a nice drink shelf!
Oh you can it’s begun … you’ve got trades on-site for sure … the most important tool in a trades van ! …. The radio 📻… I don’t envy you one bit nothing worse than dealing with tradesman imo … the best of luck too you will be worth it when your closing the door on the workman and marvelling at the new room

Oh you can it’s begun … you’ve got trades on-site for sure … the most important tool in a trades van ! …. The radio 📻… I don’t envy you one bit nothing worse than dealing with tradesman imo … the best of luck too you will be worth it when your closing the door on the workman and marvelling at the new room

They seem ok so far!🤞🏻

I just have to make my mind up on the carpet tiles. I am wondering if black and red might be too much, maybe dark grey instead of black.

I really struggle with decisions 😄😄

It's also worth thinking about how darker surfaces change our perception of size. I thought this graphic was pretty interesting:

r7oxmes9uav41.jpg

Back
Top Bottom