What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete First attempt at cleaning my STTNG and replacing all the rubbers

cmrl9

Site Supporter
Alias
cmrl
Hi, I recently purchased my first pinball a STTNG and after the second week decided to clean it as it was filthy and most of the rubbers had corroded.

The ramps all had light surface rust and a little black in places.

I bought 6 shiny new balls, novus1, 2 and 3, light sand papper, autosol, comet clear white LED and black rubber set with one yellow post. (I like to keep it original looking)

and got to work:

Whats the sandpaper for??? Don't use the sandpaper on the playfield ffs.

What I did:

I washed all the plastics in soapy water to get the dirt off and let them dry.

I lightly sanded all the ramps and cleaned with autosol (twice).

I used novus 3 and then 2 and then 1 on the playfield.

On the plastic I used novus 2 and then 1.

It appeared all the palstic might have been original as part numbers printed on them and clearly hadn't been removed for a very long time (if ever).

Changed the blubs I could get at to LED>

What I didn't do:
go any were near under the playfield, yes I know the ball trough will need a clean, but to be honest a little scared at the moment of things in the dark place :)

60 hours later results are pretty good:

Surprising I manged to put it back together with out any left over screws!

All working, until a couple of games in, top right flipper fuse gone (I believe) Biglan going to assist with my electrical incompetance!

The borg ship is a ittle dirty, but I prefer it like that and left it alone. Looks more like a spaceship. I also like the originality of the machine, so have left as is :)

Hi, I recently purchased my first pinball a STTNG and after the second week decided to clean it as it was filthy and most of the rubbers had corroded.

The ramps all had light surface rust and a little black in places.

I bought 6 shiny new balls, novus1, 2 and 3, light sand papper, autosol, comet clear white LED and black rubber set with one yellow post. (I like to keep it original looking)

and got to work:
I can recommend the transculent rubbers and post leds and new ships. Looks cool to me but maybe we have diffetent taste.

Attachments

• IMG_20200630_194425.jpg
    IMG_20200630_194425.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200701_153759.jpg
    IMG_20200701_153759.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200701_131949.jpg
    IMG_20200701_131949.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 22
I can recommend the transculent rubbers and post leds and new ships. Looks cool to me but maybe we have diffetent taste.
Looks great, where did you get the ships? At the moment I quite like its original. It appears the plastics, playfield, side art are original. My thinking is if the DMD goes then a colour one it is!

Good work, NexGen can be quite daunting for a first teardown.
Did you clean the subway too ?
Thanks Barton, yes, initially I couldn't work out how to take the ramps off. I didnt realise they slotted into the plastic. I took it slow, lots of pictures and did half at one time, the other half at the other. The biggest difficultly for me was not removing the switches and wiring off the ramps. There are two rubbers that are a pain to change, one in the upper part of the payfiled under the borg ship and the other under the launch ramp.

A lot of the rubbers where really corroded and stuck to the plastic, took a bit of elbow grease to get it off.

It looks and plays really nicely now, not perfect, but for a first attempt pretty good.

I left the subway, I didn't go anywhere near under the playfield. Although after lifting up for a left flipper problem (don't know how to fix), the top gate problem (fixed with BigIan guidence), dirty launch ball diods (fixed on my own), its probably not as bad as I first thought! I might give it a go once the machine has been fully working for a bit.

At the moment I have zero knowledge on the electronics, but beginging to understand it a little.

If you don't clean the subway the playfield will get dirty quickly. 👍
You will need to dis-assemble the diverter. you will need imperial Allen keys to undo the grub screws and to mark the position before you. Undo them

If you don't clean the subway the playfield will get dirty quickly. 👍
You will need to dis-assemble the diverter. you will need imperial Allen keys to undo the grub screws and to mark the position before you. Undo them
Thanks, will attempt it at some point, in the next month or two. Unless I get bored which case sooner! The subway looks a little dirty :)

Back
Top Bottom