What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite games @ the Slam 2012 ?

Sgt GrizZ

Registered
Ex PinballInfo Admin . MIA Brighton Hove beach
Alias
Ive
What games left an impression on you ? ...Good or bad !

As per usual at the Slam I actually didn't get to play that much pinball outside of the tourneys
sad-1.png

Of the few I recall playing ........Good to play South Park, just cos you dont see it around much (thanks Dan). Enjoyed Big Guns. And surprisingly Star Wars, which I thought I hated. Tried yet again to like IJ ...but it always leaves me a bit cold.

Also somehow managed to go the whole weekend without playing AC/DC :eek:
sad-1.png
.....Doh !!! Kept heading to it and then getting waylaid. <sigh>

Had some fun on the vids Sat night - reliving my childhood and kicking back with my brother who came up from Cornwall just for the Sat day/night.

So glad we convinced Rav and Oll to let us bring along Starblade - even if it is one BIG b*stard of a game to put together and transport
biggrin-1.png

Bad - Flash Gordon... 4 ball game - 3 balls straight down the outlanes with out touching the bottom flippers at all... :mad: Didn't help that it was in the final of the classics!
sad-1.png

Best I think was Volcano even though I only played it in the classic on Sunday..

Dont think there was a worst, although the Class of 1812 sounds did start to grate when I was playing games near it. Never really bothered me when I played it, but when not playing just listening.........

Really loved EATPM it's now top if my list to find and buy. If nothing else just to look at the art work. Anyone got one for sale/trade?

I also enjoyed Big Guns and IJ.

Oh and star ship troopers was great too.

So many I could go on for ages.

My favs of the show that I'd never played before were:

• Space Station....loved this game!!! Awesome music and sounds and if I had space for another pin I would have bought it. I will own it one day
    biggrin-1.png

• Roadshow - played for the 1st time in the tourney and thought it was pretty cool. Played some more on Sunday and really loved it. Hopefully in the process of sorting out a trade for one right now
    wink-1.png

• Congo - only ever played on pinMAME before and liked it on there. The real thing is even better....unsuprisingly
    smile-1.png
    I can imagine a proper sorted one like Gaz'z is fantastic to play.
  • Spiderman - one day I hope I can own one of these.
  • Tommy - your a lucky man Ive.

Stuff I already knew I loved:

• Indy J - Apologies to whoever owns this, I might have drooled on it a bit
    smile-1.png
    A stunning looking and playing example....my grail pin.
  • BK2K - All 6 were great but JB's clearcoat restore was superb!
  • Creech - Saturday night, had a few beers and gave Rob a bit of a whuping on this
    wink-1.png
    Must have been the drink
    biggrin-1.png

• STTNG, Stan's AFM........so many more

Didn't really have any I didn't like as all pinball is good pinball but was a little disappointed by AC/DC as I was expecting to be amazed by it but in the end just thought it was ok.

ronsplooter' date=' post: 1692616 said:
My favs of the show that I'd never played before were:

• Space Station....loved this game!!! Awesome music and sounds and if I had space for another pin I would have bought it. I will own it one day
    biggrin-1.png

SS is just great. One of the pins I will NEVER sell. Amazing atmospheric music and sound effects, stunning lights in a dark room, Condition Green multiball when all the GI lighting turns to green is just wonderful, I have changed them all to green LEDs on mine so the whole machine is bathed in glorious green light. Oh yeah .... and Steve Ritchie did the astronauts voices
wink-1.png
. The high score entry music and lightshow is second to none also.

One of those cult pins that seems to be slowly getting a bit of a fanclub
smile-1.png

SS is just great. One of the pins I will NEVER sell. Amazing atmospheric music and sound effects, stunning lights in a dark room, Condition Green multiball when all the GI lighting turns to green is just wonderful, I have changed them all to green LEDs on mine so the whole machine is bathed in glorious green light. Oh yeah .... and Steve Ritchie did the astronauts voices
wink-1.png
. The high score entry music and lightshow is second to none also.

sad-1.png
Could really do with a crying emoticon for this......I should have bought it even though I didn't have space
sad-1.png
One day, it shall be mine!

BigIan' date=' post: 1692608 said:
Best I think was Volcano even though I only played it in the classic on Sunday..

Dont think there was a worst, although the Class of 1812 sounds did start to grate when I was playing games near it. Never really bothered me when I played it, but when not playing just listening.........

Both were mine.Gonna amalgamate best bits,then sell the left over(but complete and working) "spare game"

Glad you liked it-I do:)

Class of 1812 seemed to give away multiballs-felt like that with a 3 player game anyway

ronsplooter' date=' post: 1692620 said:
sad-1.png
Could really do with a crying emoticon for this......I should have bought it even though I didn't have space
sad-1.png
One day, it shall be mine!

It was a nice one.

A local Brighton guy bought it ...and its currently in hiding in Will's garage ...until he has the balls to tell his wife he has bought another pin
biggrin-1.png

They aren't that common, though the second one in a few weeks is up on ebay right now I think. Hasn't been any about for years ...and now 3 have come up. Weird.

Let hope I don't regret selling the Space Station.

It truly is a great game but space in the games room and more pins on there way in made the decision for me.

Its gone to a good home and I know the guy loved it so everyone happy.

Difference being :

1. you can afford it

2. you dont have the wife that i have, who WILL kill me if i bring another machine thro the front door
sad-1.png

Still want one tho!

I noticed Dave wheeling that one away on Sunday. Think he'll sell it to me for a good price??

Paul' date=' post: 1692635 said:
Difference being :

1. you can afford it

2. you don't have the wife that i have, who WILL kill me if i bring another machine thru the front door
sad-1.png

Still want one tho!

I noticed Dave wheeling that one away on Sunday. Think he'll sell it to me for a good price??

How did you explain about the Volcano you took to yours for Poi ?

Thats it , just do what Poi did.

No room for any more pins at all. Yet the guy brings three back extra with him plus the one you took home for him. Me thinks his nads are seriously close to detach mode once his mrs finds out about the extra pins.

Every pinhead needs a wingman ...basically when a new pin rolls in I either say its Wills, or we went halfs on it, or I'm storing it for him .....and he says the same using me if asked by Jess
biggrin-1.png

Of course it all unravels badly when we have had a few drinks , the wives are present and we forget who is supposed to own/bought what
rolleyes-1.gif

GrizZ' date=' post: 1692642 said:
Every pinhead needs a wingman ...basically when a new pin rolls in I either say its Wills, or we went halves on it, or I'm storing it for him .....and he says the same using me if asked by Jess
biggrin-1.png

Of course it all unravels badly when we have had a few drinks , the wives are present and we forget who is supposed to own/bought what
rolleyes-1.gif

That sounds mighty familiar.
wink-1.png

Ivan.

Would it not be more fun to say.

In the style of Manuel from Faulty Towers. " I know nothing"

Paul' date=' post: 1692635 said:

Dave bought my Spiderman FWIW - and the poor fella had to wait 3 months or so for me to green light it as I said it had to be at the slam
smile-1.png
So I don't think it'll be up for grabs just yet. Whilst it plays like all the games I normally love, I think theres a leap of skill I've not yet achieved to hit the shots that are required and so wont lose sleep its dgone onto a better player than me
smile-1.png

For me, not that I played every game, I continue to LOVE BK2K and still consider it the must have addition to my collection - but I knew it before the Slam and am blessed with 3-4 of them at my place to keep my fix alive until I can secure one
smile-1.png
I cant see me ever tiring of that game and it solely claimed my free time on Saturday to rest my jangled nerves!

Whilst the theme isn't my bag at all, my nice surprise "little find" (great works Mr Squires) of the show was Riverboat Gambler - nice multitude of shots, ramps that up'ed or down'ed and trully a playable experience - embarassing as its sat at my unit for a year not set up - but needless to say, really looking forward to getting it back on its legs to continue the enjoyment.

Confirmed my appreciation for Apollo 13 as I enjoyed also at the Northern Lights and sold mine too early as a near-working project... Really really fun game for a Sega title!

Can't finish without mentioning The Shadow - only had 4 or 5 games previously and always with a deadline approaching, and could see despite its bizarre theme that theres a rocking game in there and so in the last few minutes I was pleased to purchase Mark Potter's Shadow so I can truly give it a proper going over
smile-1.png
Can't wait for my broken limbs to give me a lucid moment to get it on legs!

Rav' date=' post: 1692651 said:
Dave bought my Spiderman FWIW - and the poor fella had to wait 3 months or so for me to green light it as I said it had to be at the slam
smile-1.png
So I don't think it'll be up for grabs just yet.

sad-1.png
sad-1.png
sad-1.png

The two surprise games at the Slam for me were firstly The Class of 1812, It was the first time I had ever played it, and I just loved those clucking chickens along with that pulsing heart, and then strangely enough, Radical. I'm not very keen on that backglass, and I suspect the music would end up driving me nuts at home, but all those lovely ramps and the different combinations/angles of shots to be made on it! I liked how the music altered when you made certain shots in sequence. The Super Mario Bros pin was a lot, lot better to play than I expected it to be as well.

There were some great early Solid State games at the show too. I finally got to play Centaur and Fathom, both great games. The HGT resurrected from the dead was interesting to play as well, well done to Andy for breathing some life back into it again.

I never got to play Space Station, or any of the Vids,
sad-1.png
also I was surprised there was no TZ at the show.

On the downside, I was again a bit dazzled by some of the games fitted with LEDs. Apologies to the owners, but the TAF, the Creature, and to a lesser extent the Indy were difficult for me to play due to the brightness of the LEDs which obscured the motion of the ball at times. My dodgy eyesight may not have been helping things here though. The AC/DC at the show played just as infuriatingly as the one in Tottenham Court Road with lots of SDTM drains out of the pop bumpers and off the Cannon shot. There were also too many occasions when I walked up to a vacant pin to find it had been left in the middle of a four player game. These are minor gripes though, overall it was a great, great show!

My fav games jonny mnemonic- nice shots,fast loop,good playfield underrated defo,class 1812 a fun game prob drive ya mental lol,radical-good shot combos a fun game but not a keeper,starship troopers not bad for a sega, apollo 13 another good sega,fathom and centaur great games enjoyed them a lot ,Addams fam goes without saying,swords of fury v good game I loved it aaahhhhhh so many:)

Before going to the show there were games I have played before and wanted to track down and play again, plus a few I wanted to find out what the hype was about.

I also wanted to get a few ideas for my next pin so I work on the missus
wink-1.png
. There were so many machines that I was overwhelmed and rushed from one to another quite quickly.

I wasn't overly sucked in by Medieval Madness or Theatre of Magic though expect there is a lot more to them than I experienced. I had previously looked for a Family Guy and so getting to play one was on the list but I was disappointment. I didn't feel the Stewie mini pinball game at all. All three of these games might need more playing to understand them better. I enjoyed playing Lord of the Rings but not sure I liked the overall look.

RollerCoaster Tycoon was a game that surprised me, I got into that one and had time for more than one play.

But if I had space and money for another table today it would be a White Water. I really enjoyed playing that and liked the look and theme plus think the missus would enjoy it too.

Was that yours Ive?

GrizZ' date=' post: 1692623 said:
They aren't that common, though the second one in a few weeks is up on ebay right now I think. Hasn't been any about for years ...and now 3 have come up. Weird.

Link? I can't seem to find it....

my faves were Star Trek 25th anniversary (though it had a few reset issues, and sometimes you had to play on while the DMD was in a coma until it woke up later) and Mark's LOTR.

i also loved playing on Scared Stiff (the one on the left, asthe other one sadly was right in the reflection-off-the-ceiling-striplight zone along with a few others, so was almost unplayable for me) and the Creature.

Talking of Creature, i couldn't work out why i couldn't get it to rotate in the whirlpool (during multiball, left ramp is supposed to go round to collect CREATURE letters to try to double playfield value before scoring the jackpot) - was this a faulty switch, or am i missing something? Spectacular looking machine though, kudos to whoever modded all those car headlights on the backglass etc (though for me, perhaps a little too bright across the middle, so i kept losing the first ball of the multiball, as i never saw it coming).

one day i want to own all of the above games - if only there was a nearby pinball club like Phil Eaton was telling me about in Zurich, where he's spoilt for choice.

/rambling over

Back
Top Bottom