What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farewell Old Friend

DRD

Registered
I bought this HDD and DVD recorder when I worked abroad in 2006 as a replacement for the VHS technology I had used since the mid 1980s.

20190317_092041.jpg20190317_092053.jpg

He has given 13 years of flawless service. Don't know whether to confine him to a cupboard or give him a proper Nottinghamshire funeral (tyre, kerosene, filthy rag, match)

The HDD recorders are getting scarce now. I know that I am old school, but I still think these devices have a role to play, even with the advent of streaming services. Dead easy to programme and once set they record entire series and adjust themselves for broadcast delays. For some shows like Match of the May, if you miss them they don't always appear on iPlayer.

My newer one can record two shows at once in 1080. It also streams in 1080 so turns the dumbest of TVs into a smart TV. It also plays blu ray and you can burn its contents onto discs using the same drive

Critically, these things enable you to fast forward so you can skip the adverts

15528155353613430357216448542128.jpg

Ah, SCART! Wonderful technology. I hate the fact its being ditched on modern tvs as its still the best connector for old retro hardware :)

Ah, SCART! Wonderful technology. I hate the fact its being ditched on modern tvs as its still the best connector for old retro hardware :)
Best thing for old Retro hardware is to get a Framemeister. Modern TVs don't scale lower resolutions well so the picture looks really poor.

Combined with good quality RGB cables from https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk the picture quality looks sharp enough to be running in an emulator on PC but actually on original hardware.

Scart a french abomination - RGB yes lovely.

I rarely watch linear tv at all just on catchup and box sets.

Nell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A fully wired Scart connector actually carries an RGB signal as well as composite and audio.

My parents still have a couple of these... (They are in their 70's).. one HDD, one HDD/DVD combo... 😱

Back
Top Bottom