What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Fade Tales

Finally got around to installing the new Fish Reel Plastic Rod and Reel Launcher.

Eventually I'll replace the topper dome with a new one.

Wife wants Mirror blades in it. Though I really don't think they'll fit in this particular cab. The clearance just isn't there.

PXL_20230112_143950700.jpg

PXL_20230112_142916879.jpg

PXL_20230112_142914206.jpg

Mine also has mirror blades in. They look pretty good.
Don't doubt people can mate. I think its down to the Oak rails and maybe some slight warping on this old cab. There's literally no gap on the right side to work with.

Mine has mirror blades too. But it varies, diner and creech look far too tight for them. So I can see how cabs vary.

Nice fishy 👌 interesting choice with the wave decals on the boat

Don't doubt people can mate. I think its down to the Oak rails and maybe some slight warping on this old cab. There's literally no gap on the right side to work with.
Mine has the oak rails and a nice black finish inside the cab so left as is, nothing to hide😁
But, yours is powder coated and I’m thinking maybe one of the ones with artwork on would like good as it would blend in with the powder coating and make more seamless..
Looks good anyway😎

Keeping the blue as all the others have sunset https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/fish tales sideboard decals.html

Last edited:
Mine has mirror blades too. But it varies, diner and creech look far too tight for them. So I can see how cabs vary.
Yeah it’s definitely different from cab to cab.

On the 2 TAF I’m working on, one could probably have mirror blades. The other one however, there is just no way they would fit and not get damaged.

I put Mirror 'Hips' on Tommy, and have scratched the heck out of them annoyingly as it's so tight.
Flash Gordon is also too tight, but I'm determind to get blades on it somehow. Whether that's a cut around with some fine velcro so they can be removed quickly or a hinge so they can be turned upwards when the playfield needs lifting.

I put Mirror 'Hips' on Tommy, and have scratched the heck out of them annoyingly as it's so tight.
Flash Gordon is also too tight, but I'm determind to get blades on it somehow. Whether that's a cut around with some fine velcro so they can be removed quickly or a hinge so they can be turned upwards when the playfield needs lifting.
You need these https://pu-parts.com/pinball-assembly-blades
I have a set👍

Yeah it’s definitely different from cab to cab.

On the 2 TAF I’m working on, one could probably have mirror blades. The other one however, there is just no way they would fit and not get damaged.

Do you have plans to rectify? Sanding down the edges of the playfield or something?

Do you have plans to rectify? Sanding down the edges of the playfield or something?
Its as Ant said it depends on the cabinet and playfield. I've noticed reproduction playfields can sometimes be ever so slightly wider and yeah you could try shaving it down but its a lot of effort. I had to do simular with my TAF sanding down the cabinet area where it was slightly bowing in the centre. At the end of the day these are 30 year old cabs. Not every one of them is going to have the space to allow for art blades let alone mirror blades.

Doing Indy recently showed me how tight it is and that was with a good cab!

The other challenge I have is with the reproduction plastics the back panel (LIE panel) is slightly larger than the playfield so I'd have to shave that too.

Honestly I'm already onto the next pin so maybe I'll look at it in a few months.

I always use these….. apart from once when I didn’t on my only pin that has mirror blades (Metallica), caused a 1cm scratch that I couldn’t live with so bought new mirror blades! 😂. Now I NEVER lift a playfield without using these. Remember kids - always use protection 👍

Yes I did. When I make and fit the new oak side rails to the playfield, I then sand appropriately 1-2mm off on both sides so that it gives you that little bit extra room when fitting mirror blades.
Before
9D50F76E-A0AD-49CC-A161-80A03380EBBF.jpeg
After
638A6BFF-EF85-485C-9198-708F5FB2210F.jpeg
I first did this for my T2 as the material I had to use to make the custom blades was actually slightly thicker than regular stainless steel blades and would have definitely got damaged when lifting the playfield, but sanding a few millimetres off worked a treat.

Strobe fix didn't work earlier, so tried something else productive with my spare blades:

Courtesy of two washers added to the cross support bar in the cabinet, gave enough mm to fit Xianek Hips Mirrors.
(Warning Potato camera)

IMG_E1054.JPG IMG_E1047.JPG IMG_E1051.JPG

Back
Top Bottom