What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted F14 Tomcat - left slingshot plastic

stationfire

Registered
Hi All,

At some point, my project F14 had one of the slingshot plastics replaced (the colour is very faded, and there's a piece cracked off the top) The remainder of the plastics are actually in quite good condition from a colour/fading perspective, and the clear plastic actually hasn't yellowed, which is great.
I am trying to use original parts for these, as opposed to the reproduction plastics (if possible).
I wondered if perhaps someone might have some which they replaced previously that might be better than mine, at least for the sling plastic?
I'm looking for:

554-18 - left slingshot plastic (badly faded replacement and piece missing off the top so it's loose on the mount) - see pic below.

FOUND THEM!!::Additionally seeking:
554-21 - left "line of death" plastic (mine has a piece missing off the upper end)
554-23 - top-right of playfield has a couple of bits broken off at each end
554-8 - centre plastic - small pieces missing on each side

Here's hoping..

All the best,
-sf

Last edited:
Here you can see the one that was obviously replaced at some point, and how badly faded it is compared to the others. You an also make out the other broken end on the "line of death" plastic ...
DSC_2271.JPG

I'm hoping that you're aware of it, but that left ballguide metal is missing a spacer where it screws down into the playfield (near the Special light.) I would fix that first as a priority as that is going to not only mess up the play of the game (probably make it too hard) but also could give opportunities to scar the pinballs with the screwhead, which just turns them into abrasive cleaners for your whole playfield.

Unfortunately the line-of-death plastic in particular is hard to get hold of because it tends to warp. Mine is warped pretty badly.

Thanks very much @PBrookfield - when I was looking at it, I thought it looked quite odd, but wasn't sure. It's not playable yet, so shall definitely tackle that. I don't suppose you might happen to know what type of spacer is required? I'll try to locate some pictures of other playfields (that's how I have been figuring out what's "not quite right" with this one).

Thanks very much @PBrookfield - when I was looking at it, I thought it looked quite odd, but wasn't sure. It's not playable yet, so shall definitely tackle that. I don't suppose you might happen to know what type of spacer is required? I'll try to locate some pictures of other playfields (that's how I have been figuring out what's "not quite right" with this one).
I don't know what the exact type is but as I've got one of these machines I can take all the measurements and pictures you'd need to find an equivalent - I'll furnish you with those later (after I get home from work!)

If you need any other measurements or examples I can provide you with those as I have a mostly complete machine, as long as it's not part of the backbox beacon system as I need to replace all of that myself (a previous owner just flat-out removed all of it... even made a metal plate to cover the holes in the top. What a waste.)

Thanks very much @PBrookfield - don't want you to go to too much trouble on it, and no rush - really appreciate it. If you have a picture with a ruler beside it, that shall hopefully be enough. I'll add it to my growing list of parts for my next order from Andy then...

Thanks very much @PBrookfield - don't want you to go to too much trouble on it, and no rush - really appreciate it. If you have a picture with a ruler beside it, that shall hopefully be enough. I'll add it to my growing list of parts for my next order from Andy then...
I don't do rulers, once I got digital calipers I'm wondering how I did without 'em!

You may be able to get the part by itself, but if you can't, I wouldn't sweat it as it's literally just a small metal tube not dissimilar to car brake line. If you get really stuck then cutting something like that down would do. Worth the faff in this case.

Also as another thought, if the left lane looks like that, I'd suspect the right lane too - there's a staple-shaped wireform that can be pushed too far into the playfield, it should stand up level and about the same height with the metal ballguide - I wouldn't be surprised to see that it was pushed in angled so that it 'matched' that left inlane.

Actually that is a thought indeed.

Does your game have the backbox beacons intact, by any chance?

I'd love a photograph or two of the metalwork that supports the motor, pulleys, belts etc in the backbox, because I'm going to have to fabricate all of that myself. Have given up trying to find that stuff on sale.

Hello there as part of my compulsive buying (must get a hold of that before garage gets full, too late!), years ago I bought these thinking as you do that one day I might be lucky enough to come across a F14, well that hasn’t happened so are these any good? I don’t know which ones are which I’m afraid.

Tony
IMG_3608.JPG

I don't do rulers, once I got digital calipers I'm wondering how I did without 'em!

You may be able to get the part by itself, but if you can't, I wouldn't sweat it as it's literally just a small metal tube not dissimilar to car brake line. If you get really stuck then cutting something like that down would do. Worth the faff in this case.

Also as another thought, if the left lane looks like that, I'd suspect the right lane too - there's a staple-shaped wireform that can be pushed too far into the playfield, it should stand up level and about the same height with the metal ballguide - I wouldn't be surprised to see that it was pushed in angled so that it 'matched' that left inlane.

I know what you mean - picked up a calipers from Aldi a few years ago, used 3 or 4 times, but suddenly invaluable since I picked up the pin - so handy in ensuring sizes are correct.

Actually that is a thought indeed.

Does your game have the backbox beacons intact, by any chance?

I'd love a photograph or two of the metalwork that supports the motor, pulleys, belts etc in the backbox, because I'm going to have to fabricate all of that myself. Have given up trying to find that stuff on sale.

@PBrookfield They were pretty much intact, and actually have them working now also after first replacing a bunch of incorrect fuses in various places. ( beacon pieces disassembled, cleaned, belts added and the completely wrong lamps replaced with the correct lamps). I have been meaning to open a post in the shop log - how about I post the ones I have there later this evening for you? I can take more than from specific angles if you need me to..

Well, that was fast!! - thank you again

I'll update the original post as it's now just the left slingshot I need

Hi again, sorry this is not exactly 'as soon as I get home' as mentioned yesterday but here's some snaps and measurements:

1/2" (12.7mm) length
3/16" (4.75mm) OD
0.134" (3.40mm) ID

I've also noticed that you've got the wrong metal ballguide on your left outlane. The correct F-14 one is B-8239-1 - Marco has a picture of it but I'm convinced they've got the wrong photo with the wrong bit as they've photographed the parts upside down(!) so here's the correct photo with the wrong part: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/B-8239-2

I don't think it will make a difference to be honest and in your position I wouldn't bother replacing it unless your guide is mushroomed out, but thought it was worth mentioning. Provided your plastics all screw in properly with the correct standoffs, and you have cutouts for the flash bulbs, the only difference will be two extra screws. In 2018 I don't think the machine is going to be slammed so hard that it needs the reinforcement there.

Two of the posts, and two of the screws:
IMG_0006.JPG

Here's the guide as it is in my machine with those two screws + posts currently out - excuse the white bits of Magic Eraser everywhere, I'm touching up the scatty playfield paint:
IMG_0004.JPG

Just wanted to say thank you so much @Tony - received a couple of days ago and saves me a lot of messing around with obtaining the ballguide metal also as you had that too.

Very much appreciated
-sf

Back
Top Bottom