What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extreme Backglass Rescue

pinballmania

Site Supporter
Took a Black Hole backbox out of storage, only to find the elements have not been kind to it. This is what I found.

[attachment=1416:IMG_1472.JPG]

Miraculously virtually all the paint is there, its just all in the wrong place. Given that I've really got nothing to lose, I took to it with a jar of acrylic gloss laquer and a soft paint brush. I painted a layer of laquer onto the glass where the paint should be, a little area at a time. Then i painted laquer on the back of the paint section, which helped soften it a little, and used the brush to fold it back onto the prepared area. Then I used the brush to move the paint segment into the best position i could get, and applied more laquer over the section. After all the pieces were down, some of the edges began to move back up, so once more over with the brush to push down any raised bits. Not a perfect job, but given the severity of the damage, I'm quite pleased with the result.

[attachment=1424:IMG_1480.JPG]

That makes me feel a bit sad.
sad-1.png
Are there replacements?

Seeing what you had to start with you have done a great job in rescuing it.

I tip my cap to you sir, Well Done.
wink-1.png

I wrote my post in between your two posts hence it makes no sense.

That is a great recovery, I couldn't see how it could have been done but it looks very good considering.

What sort of acrylic laquer did you use? Is it thinned with a water or thinners. I am facing something similar on the playfield of my 1930's machine which is showing signs of flaking.

Awesome job Andy - talk about back from the dead!!

Let us know in a month or so how it has stood up

BH is a killer sys 80 game - possibly the best sys 80:rolleyes:

jimmy55' date=' post: 1699037 said:
What sort of acrylic laquer did you use? Is it thinned with a water or thinners. I am facing something similar on the playfield of my 1930's machine which is showing signs of flaking.

Its artists Acrylic Gloss Varnish made by Winsor & Newton. Its from art shops in a 75ml bottle. Its designed to protect finished acrylic paintings, and I also use it to protect areas of playfield that i've touched up with acrylics. Its pretty thin, so i don't thin it, but you can thin with water if required.

Back
Top Bottom