What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ever get the feeling that you're just whacking a steel ball around a bit of wood?

johnwhitfield

Site Supporter
Alias
John Whitfield
My mojo's simply not here this week. Tried firing things up a couple of times, played a few half ****d games and left the room...:(

I blame it on hanging out with the family for half term.

Good, so it's not just me then. I just can't get along with my machine at the moment. I know it needs parts (which I've sent for), but there's something off about my attitude to play at the moment.

Losing the buzz can be a killer.
It happened to me a few months ago and I started selling my collection. Worst thing I ever done and regretted it ever since!
I'm now back in the swing, playing loads and tinkering loads. Now all I've got to do is replace the machine-sized gaps in the garage!

Yes, this happens to us all at some time or other.
Things will look up again and the blues will subside so don't do anything silly like selling your collection off, that would be a big mistake.
Think Wes is going through it at the mo, expect him back in a couple of weeks.

Don't worry John, remember how you felt after your top ten finish at the LPC, you'll get that hunger and fun back soon enough.

A new game sounds like a good idea. Why not make a list of the ones you're bored of, and advertise them for trades. I'll take your SST off you if you like?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369869829.751960.jpg

Probably something to do with all the effort of building that huge shed and gearing up for a big meet at your place. It's bound to create a hangover effect. The good thing is you can just leave the machines sitting there for months, probably appreciating in value and when you get the urge they'll be waiting, ready and eager, like a harem of nubile young... [snip - that's enough .ed]

Get outside and do something else, spend some time with your family, meet up with your friends and when they all annoy and disappoint you, your loving pinballs will be waiting for you. ;)

All the time. I lose the love on a regular basis. I wasn't born with the ability to think having pinball machines in your house is an acceptable idea, and whilst I love my Pinbot, I constantly wish I had a garage or some large spare room to keep it in.

Also, the people sometimes kill my mojo, no one in particular, just whenever people spend forever arguing about pricing, the pinball "bubble" and, best of all, threatening legal action over cabinet wood.

Oh, and the obligatory whining post-UKPP.

What else?

Ahh yes, I also hate it when you offer advice and people ignore it, then complain when something doesn't go their way, usually the thing you warned them about.
I hate not being able to afford the games I want and seeing people scooping them up on a whim, just because they were slightly bored that week, jealous? Sure, ill admit it.

I hate The Pinball Arcade for ripping off its blinkered fans for thousands of dollars and delivering a bug filled mess of a product, failing to fix it, blowing smoke up peoples ass on release dates, then winning awards and praise from people everywhere.

ronplooters inconsideration on working on his BSD so I can't go round and play it. ;)

...Sterns photoshopped playfields.

...the fact I can't find a helmet for Pinbot, which arrived without one.

...people threatening legal action over decal scans. Get a grip.

..."Is Pinball making a comeback? Discuss"

Other than that, I *love* whacking a ball around a bit of wood.

Oh, and most importantly, I love you guys, of course.

OOOOO KKKKKKK. Do you need a hug? :)
Sounds like you like pinball but not all pinball people, which is great because we are all different and that make us want different machines.

All the time. I lose the love on a regular basis. I wasn't born with the ability to think having pinball machines in your house is an acceptable idea, and whilst I love my Pinbot, I constantly wish I had a garage to keep it in.

Also, the people sometimes kill my mojo, no one in particular, just whenever people spend forever discussing lame pricing, the pinball "bubble" and best of all, threatening legal action over cabinet wood.

Oh, and the obligatory whining post-UKPP.

What else?

Ahh yes, I also hate it when you offer advice and people ignore it, then complain when something doesn't go their way, usually the thing you warned them about.
I hate not being able to afford the games I want and seeing people scooping them up on a whim, just because they were slightly bored that week, jealous? Sure, ill admit it.

I hate The Pinball Arcade for ripping off its blinkered fans for thousands of dollars and delivering a bug filled mess of a product, failing to fix it, blowing smoke up peoples ass on release dates, then winning awards and praise from people everywhere.

I hate Chrs Edis inconsideration on working on his BSD so I can't go round and play it.

...Sterns photoshopped playfields.

...the fact I can't find a helmet for Pinbot, which arrived without one.

...people threatening legal action over decal scans.

..."Is Pinball making a comeback? Discuss"

Other than that, I love whacking a ball around a bit of wood.

Oh, and I love you guys, of course.

Wow

Dude ..... most, if not all that, applies to every hobby/walk of life/heck life in general. Ignore the bits that irk you or its gonna be a tough mission ;)

And hey ......the sun's shining :D

HOWEVER..

I love the fact that 20-40 year old machines still exist and work through the dedication of the community.

I love the artwork and backglasses that people have kept in exquisite condition.

I've seen the sights and heard the tales of people here who have sent others plastics, bulbs, parts completely free of charge.

I love that people are making a go of starting up new companies despite the fact they know its going to be an uphill fight.

I love that people bust their ass to get machines to shows and keep them running despite receiving little compensation and risking damage.

That people love pinball SO much that they actually BUILD places to hold them in their garden.

That Tron became a pinball machine (still needs more Quorra)

Pinball FX2

That Matt Vince drove a machine all the way to my front door from the south of the country

Baywatch.

Thiiiiiiiiiirty miiiiiiiillion

The smell of Turtle Wax in the morning

The NLPS, UKPP and The Slam

Sack trolleys

And hey ......the sun's shining :D

I need to get my ass down to Brighton then, because it's bloody miserable up here. Grim up North indeed. ;)

Maybe it's just because i'm a newbie, but i've still got a major Pinball addiction that won't be truly scratched until my first Pin finally turns up. That said I suspect it's a slippery slope and i'll soon be using the famous 'just one more' words.

My only regret right now is a lack of space. But I figure i'm young enough and have enough time for at least one more house move and hopefully a place with a large enough garden for a 'shack' all of my own. :)

Enjoying my time here right now - seems to be plenty of friendly and helpful people, which is great.

That ronsplooter has such Pinball ADD that he keeps changing machines so I always have new stuff to play when I visit him ;)
The people that arrive first to shows to help set up, and never leave till the last machine is packed away.
Phil's Xmas Cracker
Drinking a shot whenever Wes says "FT"
The home mod scene, which is producing incredible innovations like the self colouring DMD, animation replacement software and the mini DMD Extender
This Photo:
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/attachments/dsc02076s-jpg.1954/
This Photo:
http://robertwinter.com/pinball/eatpm/images/elvira_by_machine.jpg
The new look of this group
Grizz's Shack
Friends who aren't interested in pinball being blown away when you flick the power switch
That we had our own legitimately recognised and sponsered championship tourney this year, and it went really well.

But, at the risk I've derailed the OP's point:

I think any and all hobbies drift in and out of our hearts, I know my others have, such as photography, video games and the like.
I think a lot of hobbies are easy to lose a groove for, let alone ones that are as expensive, cumbersome and occasionally frustrating as pinball can be. This especially given that the scene is essentially weak in terms of things like bouncing prices, machines to go around, space required to operate, difficulty in obtaining parts and the constant, constant eye you have to keep open for repairs or dangers.

It also takes time, you can play a game in a few minutes (19 seconds in my case) but if a machine requires tuning before even that can happen, then you can be talking days to weeks before you can even get as far as playing a game.
Many of us also have families, full time jobs, chores to do at weekends, limited financial situations or weak technical know how. Put all the above together and it can be a dang hard hobby to behold and no-ones expecting *everyone* to keep their "mojo" going.

I think there's a good risk of burnout with pinball, sour deals or bad repairs, unwise impulse buys and good old fashioned bad playing periods can all contribute to this, but I do think its generally just a lost "phase" like Steve above says he went through then came out of.
So, though I wont pretend to know exactly what people like John, Jay, Dreads or anyone similar is feeling towards pinball, I'm sure that there's still that passion in you guys, you just need to wait till it slots naturally back into place, either through a show visit, a free weekend, or maybe just simply backing off and giving it some time whilst you concentrate on any other hobby you might have. Hope you guys get the kick back (KICKBACK!) into the game, I'm sure you will.

We all fall In And Out Of Love #bonjovi with things, hobbies, friends, partners etc from time to time, but usually, the passion is still there, it just needs some dang time off and space to breath.

No-one leaves pinball, surely?

one of us....one of us....one..

The trick would be to have many hobbies. If you get bored with one, move to another for a while.

I tend to play and tinker with pinball mostly in the winter months when i cant bear to go outside. Come summertime i want to get out and about as much as possible. I did recently bite off more than i could chew with pinball and got a bit burned out with some frustrations but it tends never to last too long.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Things seem to be improving now; the spare parts have arrived, so I can get on with fitting them. Then I'll have to check the machine afterwards..

Cheers, Jay.

Erm, :rolleyes: might just have found a way to get my Mojo back up and running. Moped about all morning and took the kids to the cinema. (some gibberish about 80s video games and unloved bad guys and then parents rushing their kids past the arcade bit of the complex).

Anyway, came back a few mins ago and just received a call to let me know I'm getting a WH20 delivered tonight. Kind of forgot it was coming...... bought it last month and only made vague arrangements for delivery/collection, so wasn't really expecting it until the end of next month.

Basically, if Bigfoot can't get me excited then it's a lost cause. ;)

Better start shifting the room about to make space. Luckily my wife is out for some corporate horse racing do, so that will reduce the delivery fallout and as it was paid for last month I won't even have to hide the bank statement when it arrives next week.

Maybe I should post about how unhappy I am that I haven't won the lottery and a similar magical solution will come along....

Reactions: JT.
Maybe it's just because i'm a newbie, but i've still got a major Pinball addiction that won't be truly scratched until my first Pin finally turns up. That said I suspect it's a slippery slope and i'll soon be using the famous 'just one more' words.
Nowt like loosing your pinball virginity ;)

Back
Top Bottom