What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EM's i want to dabble ...... but

The seeker

Registered
Hi guys, I'm looking into possibly picking up a nice EM with the theory if i pay a little more than the norm i might pick up a sound machine. having looking inside one awhile back the miles and miles of cable along with victorian gears and cogs do make me wince at the tough of possible problems so my question is are they difficult to keep right? any thoughts or experiences appreciated thanks

I was in your position last year and jumped in for an EM complete doer upper - 1967 Bally Rocket III, with change out of an hundred. My experience is that the EM support is superb, good new/used parts availability and an excellent support community (dare I mention pinside).

Learning them seems daunting but fun, particularly if you're technically biased. Basically they operate using a few basic components just lots of them : relays, stepper units, motors. Get the schematic (as long as your hallway) and t/shoot using jumper wires.

Here's mine - bonnet up. Come on jump in the waters lovely:thumbs:

20180212_093138.jpg

Hi, I bought my first EM a month or so ago and have thoroughly enjoyed getting it working again, so much so that I've just bought a second machine. What I learnt is that an EM machine is a lot easier to get going than one with electronics in it because you can physically see everything that is going on - it's all hard wired and is nothing more than relays and switches. Also these games are much simpler than electronic ones. The most complex bits are the score motor that has lots of switches attached to it that trigger at different times as the various wheels rotate around, and then the stepper counter units.

If you buy a machine make sure it looks complete, anything that has bits missing could be a nightmare to resolve, also ensure you can get hold of the schematic from IPDB or elsewhere as this is vital to working out when someting's not functioning. The one I bought has no schematic so I had to use one off a similar machine, and amazingly it worked.

Problems I had to solve to get mine going were:
1. Missing relay on one of score reels - easy to find a replacement
2. Credit reel assembled the wrong way round
3. Loose wires that needed to be reconnected to the right points (schematic to the rescue)
4. Blown flipper coils & needed new flipper plunger assemblies - Andy at Pinball Mania helped me select the right one from his stock.
5. A DC flipper coil complete with diodes running on A/C (yep!) replaced with correct one.
6. broken leaf on a relay switch
7. Contacts needed cleaning on a few of the score motor relay switches
8. playfield switches needed adjusting to work

the rest was the usual clean and re-rubber etc.

I play it regularly now and it's great fun - also I read that the more you use them, the better they are as the relay switches and moving parts are kept in working condition.

The clays guide is invaluable. http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

Someone on here also pointed me at this which is an absolutely brilliant thread - complete with animated videos of how all aspects of EM machines work. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-pinball-circuits-basics-to-not-so-basic

I've had 2 EMs and found them a lot easier to fix up than the old solid states I've owned. Personally I don't find the schematic very useful, but in the pins I've owned all the relays were labelled which is a huge help.

Agree with almost all of the above. Essentially an EM is an analogue computer so you can see all the parts working (or not working) rather than microelectronics where you usually have no clue if a chip or component has blown just by looking at it. So it's much easier to get your hands in and get things fixed.

I would definitely get the schematics though - if some part doesn't function correctly it will very quickly tell you which switch on which relay needs adjusting and you can go straight to the problem. Not sure how you would proceed without them.

Agree with almost all of the above. Essentially an EM is an analogue computer so you can see all the parts working (or not working) rather than microelectronics where you usually have no clue if a chip or component has blown just by looking at it. So it's much easier to get your hands in and get things fixed.

I would definitely get the schematics though - if some part doesn't function correctly it will very quickly tell you which switch on which relay needs adjusting and you can go straight to the problem. Not sure how you would proceed without them.
+ 1

I didn't know a thing but with help from a friend in the USA I fixed every game to be 100%, with the exception of one issue Andy N sorted.

Send schematic pic and friend tells me where to look and what to do!

And unlike SS games when you get them 100%, they can stay like that for years.

My second EM is winding it's way from Southampton to Leeds as we speak, snow permitting. Should arrive in next hour or 2. I'm absolutely hooked on them. So, a tad excited just now.

I’m not a very technical person but I got an EM up and running by following YouTube videos and looking at websites. If I can do it...
As everyone above has said, if you are not knowledgeable about electronics you may find a solid state machine much harder to repair from scratch. EMs seem to be better value for money in U.K. and often have great artwork.

I've owned DMDs, lots of SS machines [still have 2 left] and many EMs. I prefer the latter just as they are easy enough to maintain and enjoy. They often look simple to play yet quite often, the opposite is true.
Spares, etc are more plentiful than ever, thanks to the likes of Pinball Resource, Pinball Rescue and more.
If you've never owned one, then do try one out. The important thing with these though is that then do need to be serviced correctly to make them play as they should. Get a good one and you'll be well pleased that you did.:)

Back
Top Bottom