What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expired EM Score Reel Wi-fi Clock - One now available

Expired Due to no activity

AlanJ

Site Supporter
Alias
Alan
Following on from the thread about these (https://www.pinballinfo.com/communi...score-reels-plus-em-7-segment-displays.45988/)

I have really enjoyed making the first one, and set-off on a plan to make some more, here are the latest creations:

IMG_5570.JPEG

The orange one is an experimental idea from @Colywobbles (thank you for the panel). It's quite cool to see the inner workings through the see through acrylic.

The white one is a nice clean finish that hides all the workings.

Case is a simple pine box frame with hardboard/mdf back panel. (see pics below).

I've also got a mirror stainless, with burr walnut case in production - pic later once it's finished!

Features:
Clock gets it's time either from an inbuilt Real Time clock module with battery backup, or, if you connect it via wi-fi to your network, it will pickup the correct time from the Internet.

It automatically adjusts for BST/GMT (if you want it to - it's an option)

It is possible to set a 'quiet time' - e.g. don't move the reels between, say, 11.00 p.m. and 6.00 a.m. This is optional. Everything is configured via an interface from your phone or laptop.

On startup, the system goes through a self test, it advances each reel in turn one step. it then move each reel to the zero position, until 0000 is showing. it then sets itself to the current time.

More features coming in future - e.g. ability to set an alarm, alarm will be a rotation of the reels to zero, or similar. Adding support for other EM parts such as chimes, bells and knockers - so these can be used for the alarm or sound on the hour, 1/2 hour etc (like a traditional chiming clock).

Software is at V2.01, is well tested and stable - future versions of the software will be made available for bug fixes and new features. Software updates are very easy to install "over the air" using wi-fi from your phone or laptop.

Price
The parts are coming in at £133.50 for everything including pine wood case and acrylic front panel. Takes 10-12 hours to construct each one, so thinking of:

Price £250 + postage for a fully built & tested clock with white faceplate and pine wood case.

Anyone interested? Too expensive? / Too cheap? :p Let me know your thoughts? Would you like a cheaper option - e.g. build your own, or without case, etc? I'm flexible, can do whatever people want.

I can provide kit parts if you have your own score reels.

At this stage I want to gauge interest, so any feedback gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Alan

IMG_5571.JPEG
IMG_5573.JPEG

IMG_5566.jpeg

IEC mains socket on the back panel.

IMG_5562.JPEG
IMG_5561.JPEG

I had designed the idea of a flush fitting faceplate with no screws on the front, so glued to the wood case behind.
This is fine for the opaque white panels, but hasn't worked so well for the orange see-through acrylic as the glue on the edge is visible.
The photos show it worse than it looks in reality, but if I make any more with see through acrylic, I'll have to find a different way to affix the front panel - or maybe a different glue! I could route a channel into the wood, but then the wood frame will be visible from the front.

IMG_5574.JPEG

Attachments

• 58B4E681-8588-4C92-B7A7-29152DFA3E84.JPEG
    58B4E681-8588-4C92-B7A7-29152DFA3E84.JPEG
    99.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5572.JPEG
    IMG_5572.JPEG
    63.2 KB · Views: 17
Although I'm impressed with the cleverness of what has been done, I'm not in favour of this at all. These are obsolete parts in limited supply that are needed now or in the future to restore games.

Same with playfield coffee tables, backglass wall lights and the rest.

Rant over

I did think twice then, three times about the point you make and I share the sentiment and agree, I do not want to cause a shortage for anyone who needs to get a machine working. This is why, for example, I chose not to buy up pinball mania’s full stock of used EM pinball score reels, as that would have taken spare parts away from someone who might need one for a machine.

I have also decided to keep a number of spare reels myself so I can put back into the pinball community should the need arise.

I have sourced and imported the new batch of reels I am using from abroad, so the net result is more spare parts in the UK than before.

I have researched and checked availability and there are plenty of spare score reels worldwide because sadly many many EMs have been scrapped over the years.

These are what my supplier sent me - pics of 'some' of his stock.
03.jpg
04.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
@AlanJ I think it's a superb project/item, £250 is good value to the buyers not really making very much on your time, and that's just build time NOT development costs.

A big thumbs up from me :thumbs:

Chris.

I did think twice then, three times about the point you make and I share the sentiment and agree, I do not want to cause a shortage for anyone who needs to get a machine working. This is why, for example, I chose not to buy up pinball mania’s full stock of used EM pinball score reels, as that would have taken spare parts away from someone who might need one for a machine.

I have also decided to keep a number of spare reels myself so I can put back into the pinball community should the need arise.

I have sourced and imported the new batch of reels I am using from abroad, so the net result is more spare parts in the UK than before.

I have researched and checked availability and there are plenty of spare score reels worldwide because sadly many many EMs have been scrapped over the years.

These are what my supplier sent me - pics of 'some' of his stock.
View attachment 113108View attachment 113109View attachment 113111View attachment 113112

Still using them up from somewhere though, just moving the problem around - a bit like buying in coal from China. Not for me thanks.

Still using them up from somewhere though, just moving the problem around - a bit like buying in coal from China. Not for me thanks.

I don't think there is a "problem" at all. I've discovered people in the states who have 100's and 100's of them. They are plentiful, far more than will ever be needed to go back into actual machines.

Better to get these things working rather than rusting away in boxes. There is also the danger that an old pin head croaks leaving his shed full of parts that the Mrs then chucks on the tip. I bet far more are lost forever that way than I will ever use up.

You asked for ‘feedback’ i have provided, not going to turn your sale thread into an argument 👍. EM parts are a finite resource. Mrs Mighins will still throw out the reals when Mr Miggins croaks. 👍

Last edited:
Speaking of reels I could do with a few decagons units in a few months time if you have any left over? I've got a couple on my wedgehead that even after spending hours adjusting I still can't get working right

Speaking of reels I could do with a few decagons units in a few months time if you have any left over? I've got a couple on my wedgehead that even after spending hours adjusting I still can't get working right

Hi Yes i have spares and more than happy to provide. I’d need to know what type as there are different switch arrangements on the 9 and zero position switch assembly, some seem to have more contacts than others. also some open a zero position switch whilst others close it.
Of course the switches are removable so that could be an option.

I found that it can be tricky to get those switches working properly. it needs an EM leaf adjustment tool to get them adjusted accurately. I have spent literally hours adjusting the reels i’ve used!

To explain further the Wi-fi:

The system has an in-built wi-fi capability along with an in-built web server. Initially the system is not connected to a wi-fi network, so it establishes itself as a WiFi access point. e.g. it could be called "EM-CLOCK" (you can change the name in the settings).

You can easily connect to the clock using your phone's wi-fi, there is NO NEED to install any sort of app on the phone.

As soon as you connect to the clock, the webserver within the clock serves up a welcome page:

IMG_5594.PNG

3 Options - 1. to change the time and time zone settings, 2. to change the clock configuration settings, 3. to connect to your Wifi network.

IMG_5595.PNG

Here you can set / change the time, date, and choose how to adjust for BST/GMT - e.g. add 1 hour in BST.

IMG_5596.PNG

Here we can change the reel configuration and also set a 'quiet time' - during this time the reels will not move and make a noise. The switch and energy settings have already been configured, but can be adjusted if necessary.

IMG_5592.PNG

This is the wi-fi configuration screen, here you can connect the clock to your wi-fi network. You can also change the device's name.

At the bottom there is a 'Firmware update' option too - this is used to install new versions of the clock software that will be issued from time to time.

Attachments

• IMG_5593.PNG
    IMG_5593.PNG
    10.1 KB · Views: 11
Hi Yes i have spares and more than happy to provide. I’d need to know what type as there are different switch arrangements on the 9 and zero position switch assembly, some seem to have more contacts than others. also some open a zero position switch whilst others close it.
Of course the switches are removable so that could be an option.

I found that it can be tricky to get those switches working properly. it needs an EM leaf adjustment tool to get them adjusted accurately. I have spent literally hours adjusting the reels i’ve used!

I cant remember off the top of my head what sort they are but will let you know when I dig the project back out. Yeah, those switches are satanic.... I probably spent at least half a day before Pinfest trying to get them to reset reliably and ended up tomb stoning and giving up as I could feel myself slowly going insane doing it 😂

An awesome project though I love it 👍 I would buy one but I feel like it would just remind me of how much a hate decagon units lol

I cant remember off the top of my head what sort they are but will let you know when I dig the project back out. Yeah, those switches are satanic.... I probably spent at least half a day before Pinfest trying to get them to reset reliably and ended up tomb stoning and giving up as I could feel myself slowly going insane doing it [emoji23]

An awesome project though I love it [emoji106] I would buy one but I feel like it would just remind me of how much a hate decagon units lol

ha ha. i have got some nice easy bally ones. much simpler than the decagons, in fact i prefer them as the mech is easy to get to and the coils are easily changed. a decagon coil swap is not easy

Next Clock is almost ready - £260 including UK postage. £250 collected from Leeds.

It's another white panel one.

I have eventually got around to producing another clock; £260 Posted, or you can collect from me in Leeds, £250. PM me.

You could easily decal it up like I did with the one posted above.

Video here :

Many thanks,

Alan

IMG_3563.jpgIMG_3565.jpgIMG_3566.jpgIMG_3567.jpgIMG_3569.jpgIMG_3576.jpg

Back
Top Bottom