What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elvira and the party monster fault

The seeker

Registered
hi guys, I have a elvira that powers on .. The g.i comes on but nothing more. No start no flippers no pops slings or scores. I've just picked it up this afternoon. Could anyone reccomend where to start fault finding .. Fuses are my first stop then after that the fun begins.. ?? Many thanks all help greatfully appreciated the guy I bought it from said it was fully working 2 months ago if that helps

I'm going to get into it tonight ( just putting child to bed) only have a very rough look at it before I bought it gulppppp did pop back glass off the board looked ok there was a red led that was on.., I'll post pictures with my findings

I have powered up to find 3 led lights in the centre of the board the centre light is flashing - diagnostics is written underneath

OK - you are missing 5v so game isn't booting

Taken from 'the bible' ............

• System 11a, 11b, 11c CPU board LED's.
    On system 11a, 11b, and 11c CPU boards, there are three LED's about in the middle of the CPU board. For a working game, here are what these three LED's should be doing when the game is turned on and in attract mode:
    • Left LED (labeled "+5 vdc"): shows that +5 vdc is present. This LED should always be on.
    • Middle LED (labeled "diagnostics"): should be continually flashing.
    • Right LED (labeled "blanking"): shows the blanking circuit is working, and should always be on.

This will help explain things .......
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index2.htm#cpuled

Ok managed to pop a fuse in f3 on the bottom right hand side board got full plagued lights and working right hand display ! Ran a test all pop switches ball eject working but I need to set it to free play as its set for French coins !! How could I set it to free play with one right side display?

Re. the Free Play adjustment; there's a specific adjustment for Free Play, selectable as Yes/No. It's adjustment #23, between the High Score Reset interval and the Pricing scheme. With just the right-hand display, you'll only see these as 3000 (or whatever value), No, France/French. It might be easier to reverse into the adjustments, i.e. from attract mode, press Advance, then put the centre switch to Down, and use Advance to move backwards through the adjustment values.

Last edited:
Anything I should check on the board or do you think the left display is cooked??

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 7
Ps thankyou for thr free play tip!!! Almost in business .. Might be in the market for a left display unit if anyone has one ? Thanks for all the help so far guys

I'm wondering if the connectors are on the right way round with the l/h display - they probably only go on one way, but it looks a bit clumsy like that. The grey ribbon cable seems to be right, the red stripe is pin 1, and I think I see '1' screened onto the pcb. The glass display envelope often shows tiny metallic speckles around the segments when it's failed.

It's blooming awkward that the two display boards aren't interchangeable; on the oft-reviled '6803' system they were, and the games had a facility to operate with only one display, allowing a maximum of two players per game. As far as I can tell, with this set-up, the r/h display is the more important, since it receives the 'bcd' data from the cpu board (on that extra connector). This is then passed across to the left display using the ribbon cable.

The inter-connection info in the manual for this game says that the two display boards pin-outs are the same, but with the r/h having the extra stuff. I take it that means the r/h display could be placed on the left, but all that you might see is a faint glow from part of the envelope, if it's okay.

Last edited:
Hey thankyou for the information I'm soaking it up, I bought the game on a gamble tbh I think that after reading you reply the display is goosed as I can see little flakes of metal up close in almost all the digits.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 12
Hey thankyou for the information I'm soaking it up, I bought the game on a gamble tbh I think that after reading you reply the display is goosed as I can see little flakes of metal up close in almost all the digits.

Err, no. That looks intact to me. He was on about the LED bars segments which light up and they appear to be intact in your photo.

Up and running with new displays fitted, she's alittle temperamental ... Arnt they all, sometimes and goes into factory setting upon start up? But plays fine after that. Could that be run down battery's ? Anyways I've added a photo thanks for the help guys !

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom