What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elektra.. well its progress.

Aye love the sound of this era of pins. The S&T was problematic though.
First off the LED was stuck on. This turned out to be a dead PIA.
Replaced that and still had no sound - so replaced the caps. This gave me sound but with badly garbled speech. The TMS chip was the most likely suspect here. So I tried taking it out. Wasnt well:
tms.jpg
Seems these are a bit hard to find so I figured I might as well take a crack at fixing it. I got some of the deelys for IC sockets - the ones that come in strips you cut to size. I stuck those on the bottom of the IC then put some bits of resistor wire trimmed to the right length to "make" missing the legs. Didnt think to take a pic before I inserted this into the board - but it seems to have done the trick as you can hear (though i'm getting some noise over the top of the speech time to time - maybe a bad earth or something - not sure).

There was a bunch of lights off too mostly on the main PF, as well as a bunch stuck on (mostly on lower PF) - have most all of these sorted though. You can almost play it now except the bottom flippers have a sort of machine gun action going - i'm assuming this is busted coils so will replace those next I think. Was looking to do that with the flippers anyway so...

The 'chattering' you mention is probably due to open-circuit secondary windings; there's nothing there when the EoS switch opens, so the linkage drops back, closing the switch again and then this repeats. The primary winding will overheat if it's allowed to continue for long.

Mini PF flipper coils replaced. Now working correctly. You can actually play it now \o/
Will probably replace all the other flipper coils too - cant hurt.
Looking to replace the flippers for blue translucent ones (its got white ones on currently). Except the mini ones which appear to be red translucent. Cant seem to find any of those to buy anywhere though :(
I'm fitting LEDs to it too - some will call this sacrilege I know - meh. I've done the backbox and I like the look of it - which is whats important. Playfield next :)

Andy (Pinballmania) had some of those tms chips on his website,they are rocking horse poo thesedays,so worth grabbing a spare if he still has them

Back
Top Bottom