What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elektra: SOLVED

TonySchwager

Registered
Alias
Tony
Hi all - you may have seen the Elektra Face lift shop log
She is back together, and i have a nice looking piece of art

But now i am in way over my depth as I have electrical problems !!!

Boots up alright
Lamp test OK
Says Elektra etc, sounds all good
Registers credits
Push start and it appears to go into game
I went through a remounted everything connection wise checked leaf switches and all look OK
If i take a ball and hit a target shes registers points, but also registers as a ball drain

Cheers for any help -

Have you done a solenoid test and switch test?
I spent an age with strange fault only to find out the balls must be in the machine so the switch is on in test then you can take the ball out.
Members here kept my sanity.

Yeah thanks Paul. I remembered that from your log or read it elsewhere sometime. I think I am half way there with most of the selinoids kicking in test. I will do further tinkering tomorrow. I have talk but no sinister back ground noise and weird sounds comming from targets/ spinner so may be asking for more help

Yeah thanks Paul. I remembered that from your log or read it elsewhere sometime. I think I am half way there with most of the selinoids kicking in test. I will do further tinkering tomorrow. I have talk but no sinister back ground noise and weird sounds comming from targets/ spinner so may be asking for more help

Bear in mind today's air temp will be pushing old tech a far bit. My work laptop gave up at 4oc due to the heat and my tablet went into safe mode due to overheating.

I remember I could not get the background sound until I had the balls in place. Then it popped on. But sounds as if its something more this time. ROM might be going time out.

I know what you mean. My Wi-Fi is awful and some of the channels are out on the TV. Not sure what's going on there. I just found a thread on Pinside. Go to diagnostics 18 press start button till 3 displayed . Switch on and off. Apparently there are 3 settings for sound 3 being all on . Bingo it's sounding OK. Getting there. Thanks for your on going support

Technical sites hosting TV and Internet have cooling on max this week. The temp builds up over days and stresses equipment well above the manufacturer's permitted operating tolerances.

A lot use free air cooling but the air temp going in is 30 degrees so already hot so mechanical cooling kicks in which is not great for carbon offsetting etc.

Did you check the underplayfield fuse. I could be mistaken but something is telling me that flippers work when this is dead - but little else.

Hi

The good news
All sound, flippers, kickers etc working in play
Solenoid test and switch test all OK nothing coming up as permanently closed

Gad a couple of weird problems

1. When the ball hits the left hand drop target top left the left hand kicker activates
2. When the ball rolls over the 2000 bonus switch, Tilt warning activates and game over

Turned out to be a lamb holder connecting to the drop target, which seems to have fixed both problems

Phew!

Attachments

• offending target.jpg
    offending target.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 13
  • overzealouskicker.jpg
    overzealouskicker.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 2000.jpg
    2000.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies thought I had got there weirdly when the playfield is raised up all is good, even if lifted by only 10 degree's
When its down the problem is there, I have just checked and it not seem to be where the playfiled touches the lockdown bar

Possibly something shorting out on the bar rail thingies the playfield rests on - going to do more investigation..

Bugger just when i thought i had got there, at least i am getting closer

Last edited:
Insulated the side rail thingies for test purposes
No Joy
All OK in this position, lower it a bit more and I get fault 1,2

ok.jpg

Turns out the issue is cause when the ball rolls down and activates the leaf switch in the lower playfield
Discovered a capacitor leg off on one of the target switches, soldered that on which has no impact

Last edited:
I've had similar to problem (2) and fixed by replacing the cap across the tilt bob switch. If they haven't been changed it may be worth clipping them all to troubleshoot and then replacing throughout as they're cheap as chips.

Tried taking off the cap on the tilt bob switch, no joy..
Turns out some idiot (me) thought a flashing 5 on the switch test 5th button press mean't all OK.
It does not, it means left flipper leaf switches closed
Turns out some idiot (me) had soldered one of the leaf connections up incorrectly so looked OK but was not
So a swap about of wires, all problems sorted....

Phew.

Thanks all for the help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom