What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eddy Sensor Board Fix – A-18543-1

J

James

Eddy Sensor Board Fix
Missing hits on your Theatre of Magic, constantly adjusting up that potentiometer? Check out my guide for a Eddy Sensor Board Fix - A-18543-1

Eddy Sensor Board Fix – A-18543-1

Continue reading...

Hey @CHRIS B PINBALLS - does the old one have the same turns? I’m assuming so... this also seems to be the same spec one used in later models. With far more turns to resolve the issue of it falling well out of spec.

The old one didn’t seem readily available, I even asked on this very forum. The response seemed to be. No. So I improvised.

I think the term a “right old bodge” is probably a tad harsh. Sure - not as perfect as a pre-fitted formed one, but I’ve seen far worse “right old bodges” in pinball than this.

The option I would say is to have an “interface board” made up but for it - if you wanted it to look pretty. Like you can get for surface mount to pin through hole NVRAM.

31235BEE-EB0B-42E6-B764-0A66E13CEB35.jpeg

As bodges go, I’m happy with this one, better than a key for... well keys have been used for a lot of things .

Last edited:
Looks good to me, if it works it works.

Cheers @Arv - it does indeed work!

@Vimtoman - +/-% the variance within the resistance value and the turns what proportion of that % each turn varies it?

I am no expert and someone please correct me - because I want to learn, but the way I understood it was for say it was a 10K value with 20% variance and 10 turns - each turn would adjust resistance by 0.2K?

20% of 10K = 2K
10 turns of 2K = 0.2K

What is the value of the pot?
You would be best to increase the number of turns for physical error
and lower the tolerance for temp considerations.

I've never touched mine and so far not had to adjust it.

10 turns means you have to complete 10 turns to go from zero ohms to 10K
its a linear pot so each turn increments it by 1K
eg 5 turns you would have 5K
the % is a manufacturing tolerance so you might have at the top end 10K +/- 5% = 10500R or 9500

Its debatable if the multiturn is a fix really.
It's probably just either component age failure, tweeking fatigue or bad design.

Also worth saying that the three eddy sensor boards in Theatre of Magic are not quite the same. I think two out the three are the same values on the board. It is worth replacing the pots on all three at the same time, but do them one at a time.

Back
Top Bottom