What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

earthshaker sample games.

johng2611

Registered
hi,just wondered if anyone had ever played or owned one of the earthshaker sample games where the earthquake institute building drops into the playfield during play as i've never seen one before & did anyone ever produce an aftermarket/mod for the later games? ipdb thinks about 200 samples were made.just seen a video of it & looks pretty cool.

Yep, I have no.69..... Building drops with shaker motor. There is an aftermarket kit in the U.S. thT will drop the building but obviously needs the playfield cutting about.

System 11 game so suffers insert and playfield wear!

Yep, I have no.69..... Building drops with shaker motor. There is an aftermarket kit in the U.S. thT will drop the building but obviously needs the playfield cutting about.

System 11 game so suffers insert and playfield wear!
I don't actually think any serious playfield modification is required ? A plastic or ball guide needs removing so the building can drop down.

The one I bought from my employer had the motorised building. I'm sceptical about the number built with it being as low as 200, most of those I've seen had it.

Mine had software edition LA 1, which included a test for the building unit. AIR, the test wasn't particularly reliable. The building was also included in the 'ball missing' search, it would roll down and back up in case a ball had lodged on top of it.

Anton, does the knowledge of yours being No. 69 come from the serial number?. Mine was No. 568 (I) 215070

Last edited:
The Earthshaker I owned a couple of years ago had the "collapsing" building. The cabinet was also a lighter or darker shade of blue compared to the later games.

The Earthshaker I owned a couple of years ago had the "collapsing" building. The cabinet was also a lighter or darker shade of blue compared to the later games.

Yeah the collapsing building models have light blue cab colour screened direct to the wood. The later regular ES are much darker blue, and the artwork is decals.

I also suspect there were many more than the 200 figure bandied about. I see a lot of guys in the US with one.

The one I bought from my employer had the motorised building. I'm sceptical about the number built with it being as low as 200, most of those I've seen had it.

Mine had software edition LA 1, which included a test for the building unit. AIR, the test wasn't particularly reliable. The building was also included in the 'ball missing' search, it would roll down and back up in case a ball had lodged on top of it.

Anton, does the knowledge of yours being No. 69 come from the serial number?. Mine was No. 568 (I) 215070

Yes, from the sticker on rhs of cab. The '200' run were a lighter blue as mentioned. Think my building has dropped before on a ball search, but never noticed that much as the machine never given me any trouble at all. mine needs a resto but house is taking all the time up. CPR have done new play fields, but they don't answer to emails as I would have one if they have any spare. Good pinball for the money if you want a quick blast. Managing to get the bunker off the left flipper is a very satisfying shot, especially if you manage to do it on the aftershock countdown.

Had 3. First one imported from Canada is with the raisons. 2nd one was the 20 quid auction one which went to Hungary. Last one is with Paul Owen and is the latest known sample serial no.

Re. the different shade of blue, a second example that work bought later (from Holland, I think) was the darker blue, but I'm almost certain that it also had the moving building; I'd remember if it hadn't.

I have had one a while back, i really don`t think the collapsing building adds all that much. Nice to have but doesn`t make much difference to what i think is a pretty decent game in standard format.

I've got one deep in storage. I should really pull it out and test it as I've never turned it on yet :(

Be interesting to know if it has the collapsing building too.

What does Earthshaker sell for now in good condition and fully working?

Be interesting to know if it has the collapsing building too.

What does Earthshaker sell for now in good condition and fully working?
I got one off a forum member for £725 I think back in August. Inserts pretty poor but playfield pretty good overall. Cabinet fair to good. Excellent back glass. I think it was a fair price for a nice machine and it has played like a dream since. However, prices have gone a bit nuts so I would like to think a minter is 1300 with an average to good 1000. It's a good game, nice playfield art and backglsss, great shaker motor integrated into the play. It's not very deep, but as part of a collection it's great and they don't come along often. Not seen one since......

ES is a great game. But the playfields are usually shot. They have the classic system 11 problems of mylar bubbling, playfield wear where there was no mylar, insert wear and usually all three. With ES it is particularly bad as it was a fantastic earner in the arcades so they got played to death.

I have been looking for one for about three years. I have seen 3 different ones for sale - two had the collapsing building. But they all had worn playfields. The one I played at university in 1990 also had the collapsing building.

It is a nice feature, but neither a deal maker nor a deal breaker in my opinion.

Fingers crossed that yours had an easy former life and the pf is ok.

ES is a great game. But the playfields are usually shot. They have the classic system 11 problems of mylar bubbling, playfield wear where there was no mylar, insert wear and usually all three. With ES it is particularly bad as it was a fantastic earner in the arcades so they got played to death.

I have been looking for one for about three years. I have seen 3 different ones for sale - two had the collapsing building. But they all had worn playfields. The one I played at university in 1990 also had the collapsing building.

It is a nice feature, but neither a deal maker nor a deal breaker in my opinion.

Fingers crossed that yours had an easy former life and the pf is ok.
I adore ES. As much as I like Whirlwind, very much the sister game to ES.... with more advanced rules, I just find the ES layout more of a joy to play.

My old one, now with my bro, had full mylar, which removed with little paint loss. Insets needed redecalling. But overall playfield looks good :)

ES would pip ww to the post if you could just relight that jackpot. Love everything about it otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom