What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drop Target loose?

Dinsdale

Site Supporter
Hey guys

This is starting to annoy me enough that I want to fix it.

I've attached two videos showing it as best I can.

The drop target on my T2 is intermittent. Sometimes you have to hit it two or three times for it to drop completely. I've shown this in the video.

Sometimes, it registers that it's dropped, but it is still up a tiny little bit and can trap the ball (this isn't videoed).

I am sure this is not electrical, because I see that the coil is slightly loose and can be twisted side to side. This me be irrelevant. This is videoed.

How do I go about taking it off safely? I don't seem to see anywhere obvious to take this coil off or even tighten it.

Any pointers appreciated.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    13.8 MB
  • IMG_7422.MOV
    26.3 MB
Isn’t there a screw at the bottom of these to adjust the height of the target ? A while since I tweaked one
Not that I can see, I want to avoid taking the whole mechanism off if I can help it.

From what I read there may be gunk on it but it seems really hard to get to.

Will have to take my time with this one I think.

I'm pretty sure the coil shouldn't be loose like that, the coil stop also seems like it isn't the right one.

Its not the coil that is the issue. The coil is just there to reset the drop target when it needs to go back up. As Phil says above rou need to clean the mechanism. It's easy to take off just a few screws in the playield. Use a 1/4 inch nut driver. Dont bother unsoldering wires or taking the coil off. What you need to do is take off the 2 c-clips part number 11 on 2-23 of the manual. Then the plastic drop target should come off and there will be some springs behind it. Clean all these parts as they will likely be gunky and also clean he metal bracket. Then reassemble on put back on machine.

For the eclips hold the clip between finger and thumb and insert a small flat blade screw driver between the clip and the post it is around. Then twist screwdriver slowly. Clip should then just ease off rather than ping off.

And the spring Phil was referring to is part no 17 on same page. Check it isn't damaged or stretched.

Looking at the manual you have a different plunger in there. Looks like it’s been modified.
As Sarge says there should be an adjusting screw in the bottom to adjust the height of the target when it’s down.
I should be asleep!

As above the the re set plunger is incorrect looks like it’s been bodged up you can actually buy the complete mech from pinball life
That drop down target mech is always battered

The plunger and reset plate is wrong, but it may well be servicable. Its simple to remove the screws fixing it to the playfield, you can then examine the mechanism fully. The twisting coil is not uncommon. Most likely as has been said above, is gunk around the slide of the drop target, possibly as a result of previous incorrect lubrication.

Removal of the mechanism really is the answer to do this properly

And the plunger and plate assembly is available for less than 10 dollars so if the rest is serviceable you can just replace that part. I will be putting in an order to overseas suppliers that have this so can add onto my order if you can wait for it.

Hi guys - ok, so I had to take full mechanism off to get to the clips @Asiapinball was talking about. Attached is a pic.

I can't find an imperial nut driver around the house so will need to go and buy one.

Yes, please order any replacement and I'll reimburse you the money obviously.

I have cleaned the drop target which wasn't too bad to be fair so don't think that'll do it.

I won't bodge it anymore but can I ask, when you guys say it's incorrect, what about it is incorrect?

I thought the coil sleeve sticking out maybe, but for the diagram that looks ok - but I do notice that spring isn't on the diagram... should I just remove it?

Attachments

• 7F36AC4B-C196-47A3-95F6-6AF8DCF091CB.jpeg
    7F36AC4B-C196-47A3-95F6-6AF8DCF091CB.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 16
You should be able to check the operation of the assembly manually by pushing the plastic drop target backwards and pushing plunger up to reset. All should operate smoothly.

You should be able to check the operation of the assembly manually by pushing the plastic drop target backwards and pushing plunger up to reset. All should operate smoothly.
Yup, done that and it isn't smooth. In fact it mirrors the same behaviour. It goes down but not all the way. No wonder the ball is getting stuck.

Switch is working fine though. Nice meaty click sound.

When the target is pushed off its retaining ledge, either by a ball or the dropper coil, it's pulled down by the spring attached until it reaches a stop. This should be the height adjustment screw at the base of the target frame, but if this bodged-up reset plunger hasn't returned to its rest position, the target stops wherever it touches the reset plate. The reset plunger & plate shouldn't need a spring of their own, but even with one added they're getting stuck.

Back
Top Bottom