What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dreaded C word

Happypin

Site Supporter
Alias
Alan Adair
Dreaded C gets everyone attention for the wrong reason.

So! how does Cancer and pinball work together in my life, my thoughts at 2am.
We all see it far to often on eBay in their description very rare pinball only will go up in value... yeah right!!! Well I have a very rare cancer SARCOMA to be pacific Leiomyosarcoma.
September the 3rd 2014 on my spermatic chord one in seven million chance now that’s what I call rare not a TAF that had over 20,000 made. Six and half years on and I’m still here but sadly living with it, let’s not dwell on that let’s talk pinball because it’s now 2.24am and the sleeping tablet is kicking in.
Pinball for me is about having friends over when we could that is, a curry night with family and friends seeing all the pinballs being used just makes me happy and of late a good distraction...yep ! I confess on here the last few weeks I’ve broken the rules and left the garage door open and I won’t name names but he or she went into the games room and the noise was fantastic, once again the pinballs are being used. I’m very lucky to have a brother who loves getting LOST IN ZONE Alfie will carry on the love I have for these machines when the time comes, over the last few months with the knowledge of TV 📺 repairs I’ve tried to make my 90s pins bulletproof changing all the caps and yesterday ordering two colour DMD‘s for STTNG and H20 Let’s give these two colour vision 😎
Roll on the 17th of May when we can all have our friends and family over to play PINBALL (rule of six) the sound of them machines and those lovely words Fu-k it when that ball drains.
So get ready to invite friends and family over once again and Fu-ck cancer as my dear friend used to say.
And finally you guys and girls on here are amazing I read a lot of interesting posts, the help you give to others is simply lovely and very kind so please look out for Alfie he might need your help in the future.

Alan.

Life is a strange old journey and we never know what our fellow passengers are going through. A hobby or interest that brings some happiness and relief is such a valuable thing. They bring us together when we could otherwise have been strangers.
Best of luck to you and keep on flipping.

I was told I had 50/50 chance of survival with cancer in 2008, 6 months of chemo and 3 weeks of daily radiotherapy treatment. Thought I was a gonner. It’s a mind f*ck and still is. Never been the same since mentally.
Sleeping was hard at the time from worry, horrible. Now the alcohol helps. Pinball is a good diversion.
Stay strong for your family and good luck🤞

I was told I had 50/50 chance of survival with cancer in 2008, 6 months of chemo and 3 weeks of daily radiotherapy treatment. Thought I was a gonner. It’s a mind f*ck and still is. Never been the same since mentally.
Sleeping was hard at the time from worry, horrible. Now the alcohol helps. Pinball is a good diversion.
Stay strong for your family and good luck🤞

It certainly drives your mind mad and you know exactly what it’s all abound but! thats the door bell two colour DMD’s have arrived.
Happy days has returned.

I’m still Alive and kicking…
it‘s been a very difficult few months, been on the worst chemo ever made, doxorubicin nick name The Red Devil, it’s red in colour and it’s the devil of all chemo’s.
Im certainly not out of the woods but after this treatment my cancer has slowed down, at the moment paused.
My consultant at The Royal Marsden said let’s give it 12 weeks before my next scan, the colour has come back into my face, had my first shave in 10 weeks and I’ve got fine hair on my head… OK bum fluff lol.
So much I need to in the next 12 weeks, life is for living.

Met some really nice Guys on this forum in the last few weeks, it’s now time to play pinball.

Alan

**** man This puts so much into perspective.
I have 3rd world problems of what pin I need in my life next and which to move on to make way for it.
Also yesterday the wife was tested positive for COVID another C word and all of a sudden we think we have problems.
I love your positivity Alan and only hope I have half your strength in times of need.
If there’s anything I can do to shine the smallest ray of light into your life ATM just shout m8.
Oh and BTW if you ever need to chew the fat, talk pinball or just need to bend an ear just DM me for my number im told I can talk underwater but I’m also a good listener.
Keep ya chin up and stay strong.

Col

Une fois, quand j'étais en chambre stérile, je me suis dit: j'aurais du faire encore plus de tournois de flippers , c'est la seule fois ou j'ai déprimé, c'est débile comme réflexion
la maladie , un dieu ont bien voulue m'accorder un extra ball et j'en profite même si beaucoup de choses ont changés
je me rappelle encore mon premier tournoi, avec mon bonnet , ma tète de mort et les gens parfois gênés a qui tu a envie de dire:
CA VA SUPER
et les mecs que tu ne connaissais presque pas et qui t'ont régulièrement téléphoné

Courage et merci de ce partage, je n'aurai pas eu le courage de le faire a l'époque

**** man This puts so much into perspective.
I have 3rd world problems of what pin I need in my life next and which to move on to make way for it.
Also yesterday the wife was tested positive for COVID another C word and all of a sudden we think we have problems.
I love your positivity Alan and only hope I have half your strength in times of need.
If there’s anything I can do to shine the smallest ray of light into your life ATM just shout m8.
Oh and BTW if you ever need to chew the fat, talk pinball or just need to bend an ear just DM me for my number im told I can talk underwater but I’m also a good listener.
Keep ya chin up and stay strong.

Col
Col
thank you so much, this is why I love this forum and of course Pinball. The friends I’ve made recently on this forum has been a great distraction everyone have been so kind, at the moment I’m in a good place and most people would say I look so well and to be honest I feel fantastic, I’m on a 12 week holiday and plan to enjoy everyday of it until the next scan.
I have bags of positivity and I’m happy to pass it on when needed and like you and all of us on here I also worry about what pin to get TOM is on my mind 24/7 and how I can get 20 pins where only 8 will fit Lol.
I wish your wife a speedy recovery, I hope the symptoms are manageable.
An order for a plaque for my T.Z seems to be my next mod, I’m loving your work which my machines have already.

Alan

Une fois, quand j'étais en chambre stérile, je me suis dit: j'aurais du faire encore plus de tournois de flippers , c'est la seule fois ou j'ai déprimé, c'est débile comme réflexion
la maladie , un dieu ont bien voulue m'accorder un extra ball et j'en profite même si beaucoup de choses ont changés
je me rappelle encore mon premier tournoi, avec mon bonnet , ma tète de mort et les gens parfois gênés a qui tu a envie de dire:
CA VA SUPER
et les mecs que tu ne connaissais presque pas et qui t'ont régulièrement téléphoné

Courage et merci de ce partage, je n'aurai pas eu le courage de le faire a l'époque
Google Translate is a wonderful tool I’m fluent in every language.

A problem shared is a problem halved and it has certainly worked for me.

Alan

Mate I feel for you, I had my chemo back in ‘08. I had ABVD for 6 months which included the one you mentioned, they told me I WOULD lose my hair so I shaved it off so my kids wouldn’t see it fall out. I bought caps etc, anyway my hair didn’t fall out and I had the treatment for 6 months😂
I was 39 then, it made me feel sick and tired. The beeping noise from the chemo machine still haunts me though and I remember seeing the grim reaper in my house while sitting in my chair recovering from a session of chemo, that’s some good sh1t🤪

The radiotherapy was the one that f‘d me up but that’s another story, it all worked though.

I bought myself a infrared sauna to sweat all the crap out from the chemo, not sure if it helped but in my head I was trying to help myself.

Good luck with the scan as I know it’s a big moment for you🤞

If you want someone to talk to just get in touch as I know what you are going through.

Dave.

Mate I feel for you, I had my chemo back in ‘08. I had ABVD for 6 months which included the one you mentioned, they told me I WOULD lose my hair so I shaved it off so my kids wouldn’t see it fall out. I bought caps etc, anyway my hair didn’t fall out and I had the treatment for 6 months😂
I was 39 then, it made me feel sick and tired. The beeping noise from the chemo machine still haunts me though and I remember seeing the grim reaper in my house while sitting in my chair recovering from a session of chemo, that’s some good sh1t🤪

The radiotherapy was the one that f‘d me up but that’s another story, it all worked though.

I bought myself a infrared sauna to sweat all the crap out from the chemo, not sure if it helped but in my head I was trying to help myself.

Good luck with the scan as I know it’s a big moment for you🤞

If you want someone to talk to just get in touch as I know what you are going through.

Dave.
Dave
The man that knows,
yep I did the same before my Chemo, I had a BBQ with 30 people over which was the rules back then but 45 turned up.
I got the family to shave my head bit by bit my god it hit a nerve with everyone, My brother Alfie put another chair next to me and said your not alone and had his haircut with me, tears and sadness was shared that day by everyone.
The symptoms from the chemotherapy hit me hard I was down for 6 one every 3 weeks but I had to stop at 5, blood clots being the reason in my arm enough was enough, 5 chemo’s and 5 A & E visits with two over night stays, you name it I got all the side effects that chemo can give you and yes sitting in the chair while the Red Devil goes in your arm, that bleeping sound that echoes around the room is just horrible, i Kept telling myself there is others worse than me in this room and for sure there was, the sooner I left that room the better, the sadness in other people’s eyes still bring me to tears as I write this.
Never take life granted, hug the ones you love and most importantly share your time with others.

Alan

Got some funny memories that just came to me.
One of them was when they were going to put the PICC line into my arm, they basically gave me the date rape drug to relax me. I remember about 5 nurses and my wife standing around me and feeling pretty out of it and said to them “come on then you can have me one at a time“ that cracked everyone up. I was enjoying some of those drugs😁

Got some funny memories that just came to me.
One of them was when they were going to put the PICC line into my arm, they basically gave me the date rape drug to relax me. I remember about 5 nurses and my wife standing around me and feeling pretty out of it and said to them “come on then you can have me one at a time“ that cracked everyone up. I was enjoying some of those drugs😁
Only last week Alison my consultant was checking my shoulder, with my top off she was gently searching if she could feel one of my sarcoma’s I said to her you better stop doing that!!! why she said ? Because I’m enjoying it !! bright red faced Alison was and the other consultant filled the the room with laughter.
On Friday when I got my results I was tempted to wear wig and say look how quick my hair has grown back, good job I didn’t it wasn’t my regular consultant lol

Morning John
We still need meet up especially as we live so close.

Alan
Hi Alan,

That would be good. Guessing you’re unlikely to be at Croydon next weekend but I’m making a rare visit there (even if the sodding trains are all cancelled)

Otherwise the end of this month works well for me around half term.

Hi Alan,

That would be good. Guessing you’re unlikely to be at Croydon next weekend but I’m making a rare visit there (even if the sodding trains are all cancelled)

Otherwise the end of this month works well for me around half term.
I’m away next weekend, I’m planning a holiday and will most likely be in Cyprus before and just after half term.
If your free one evening mine or yours up to you.

Back
Top Bottom