What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Dr Dude - Shop Log

strongs

Site Supporter
The more I'm getting into this hobby I'm starting to realise I'm more into the early 90's Bally / Williams games I think it’s mainly down to the build quality and the original themes.

There are a number of games I really enjoy playing on Pinball Arcade and Dr Dude is one of them. It appears to be somewhat of a rare title over here too, with only 4,000 made world wide that's not surprising.

After deciding I'd like to buy one I started doing a little digging on the internet and it became apparent they very rarely come up for sale, however luck would be on my side...

Shorlty after placing a wanted advert a friend who is also a forum member made me aware of a Dude that was potentially for sale and passed on some contact details to me.

One week later I hit the road for a 6 hour round trip on one of the hottest days in June in a rental van without AC o_O

On arrival I found a very nice but dirty Dr Dude...

Positives
> It worked!
> Rare Diamond Plate Playfield!
> Signed Backglass (Dennis Nordman)
> Legs recently painted / powder coated red
> New Levellers and bolts
> Cabinet in superb condition with no fade.
> Big Shot bully present and not broken!
> It's a Dr Dude!

Negatives
> It was filthy inside and out by my standards
> New rubbers required throughout
> GI not working on left of playfield
> GI not Working on left of backbox
> Top Trim on translite broken
> New locks needed
> Mixmaster stickers / finish looked tired
> Coin door had credit button and rough paint

We agreed a price and loaded the machine onto the van. When I got the machine home I moved it into the garage to start working on it.

IMG_4103_zpsmyjbzuej.jpg

Now none of the backbox GI was working and I received an error when switching the machine on "Adjustment Error"

I suspected the GI issues were down to connector issues and after a quick Google on the error message I found that was most likely down to the battery.

A battery mod had already been carried out but after checking the voltage on the battery it was clear the battery needed changing so I ordered a AA Battery pack and installed it which sorted the "Adjustment Error"

IMG_4488_zpsb6mqepgw.jpg

IMG_4491_zpschomrjt4.jpg

IMG_4489_zpsfb8vbwlc.jpg

Next was to tackle the GI. First I pulled every fuse and checked contuniuity and found a blown fuse so swapped it out. This sorted out the playfield GI that wasn't working on the left but I still had an issue with the backbox GI:

IMG_4483_zpst4go88el.jpg

I think I found the culprit for the GI issues in the backbox:

IMG_4521_zpsgnlnfy4p.jpg

IMG_4523_zpsfkrgyivl.jpg

Time to tackle that filthy playfield. I was certain this would come up nice. I've not much experience stripping a playfield, I've only ever stripped a Tron Legacy but I took my time, thought about every step logically, took lot's of photos and bagged / labelled everything and started cleaning / waxing.

IMG_4218_zpsevk64ziw.jpg

IMG_4219_zpsb8u4htii.jpg

IMG_4220_zpszih8kgdy.jpg

IMG_4574_zpspyxf8agc.jpg

New bits arrived from @pinballmania and manual from @Matt Vince

IMG_4519_zps97tkpyxo.jpg

Also went to see @chris b to grab some Mirrorblades

IMG_4510_zpswbn7yzus.jpg

Time to tackle the exterior (magic erasers work miracles here)

IMG_4556_zpspozzw4an.jpg

Whilst I had the coindoor out I took the opportunity to plug up the credit button and give it a fresh coat of paint I also repainted the speaker grills (not pictured)

IMG_4547_zps91jnobw0.jpg

Cleaning up the ramps and plastics:

IMG_4739_zpskvpupg69.jpg

IMG_4566_zpsdj87qibs.jpg

2B8D4995-03AA-4D95-9EB6-3DBAB41AB9FE_zpspvxjm3kg.jpeg

Not many people can say they've rebuilt a molecular mixmaster ;) Big thanks to @replicas for donating the new mixmaster decals FOC:

IMG_4693_zpsvsflt6o7.jpg

IMG_4695_zpsegabj7ka.jpg

IMG_4736_zpsemt2dlgu.jpg

IMG_4737_zpsou5lh3j7.jpg

Time to replace all of those incandecent bulbs with Comet LED's. I wanted to keep the original warm look so just ordered warm whites and used the original condoms in their respective places above playfield.

IMG_4683_zpsplbgt4zv.jpg

At this point the machine was looking really tidy except for the flipper bats (which weren't the original bats) Dr Dude originally came with segmented bats that are a few millimetres longer than standard Williams so I put in an order with @pinballmania I also put an order in for a Cliffy ramp protector from the man himself as the plastic ramp has not been reproduced and I'm not taking any risks on that :eek:

Finishing touches to completion...

IMG_4895_zpsb6oiertp.jpg

IMG_4922_zpshx9vt9ec.jpg

IMG_4923_zpsj3edvzhk.jpg

IMG_4900_zpsd3s024wh.jpg

IMG_4916_zpsohrwiv5a.jpg

IMG_4913_zpsmek0jyhg.jpg

IMG_4910_zpskx33of3m.jpg

IMG_4908_zpscxntygkq.jpg

IMG_4906_zpsow6oh7gp.jpg

IMG_4858_zpsjjqsspnr.jpg

IMG_4857_zpsele197y0.jpg

1533345076884.jpeg

IMG_4921_zpsdxp9sp3p.jpg

Chuffed to bits and a little proud of myself. It's taken approximately 5 weeks on and off when I've had a spare couple of hours here and there. If you had seen it in person when I picked it up you would better appreciate the transformation.

My life was dull, my life was drab, 'til I acquired the gift of gab! Always be excellent - never be rude. Get the gift of gab from Dr. Dude!”

:thumbs:

Last edited:
A great machine that deserves the resto treatment and what a great job you have done to bring it back to its former glory.

Looks fantastic! I'm looking for a quick bit of tech help & since you've been delving into the inner workings it should be an easy one. My Dr dude mix master trigger (at the back of the ramp behind main board, trigger 16) has never worked and I had never realised why. The trigger was disconnected and the connection lead just hanging out the back (hidden until recently dislodged whilst doing something else). Do you know where it connects to? So far I can't see any unconnected wire to hook it up to. Appreciate guidance & any help please. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Looks fantastic! I'm looking for a quick bit of tech help & since you've been delving into the inner workings it should be an easy one. My Dr dude mix master trigger (at the back of the ramp behind main board, trigger 16) has never worked and I had never realised why. The trigger was disconnected and the connection lead just hanging out the back (hidden until recently dislodged whilst doing something else). Do you know where it connects to? So far I can't see any unconnected wire to hook it up to. Appreciate guidance & any help please. Thanks in advance

Sure thing drop me a private message and we’ll get to work.

Back
Top Bottom