What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downtime :(

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
It seems that our illustrious host has had another "Catastrophic" database failure, resulting in the restoration of another backup of nearly 24 hours old.

Have had enough of this host. Looking for another. It wont be as cheap, however I'm not happy that after the last issue came the assurances of them putting things in place to stop it from happening again. And it's done just that.

All I can do is really apologise. Anything that may have been posted since 2am this morning will have disappeared. So very sorry :(

Paul

Sorry chaps. Really depressed at the moment.... this just topped things off for the day :(

I'll bounce back.... :)

Thanks to those that have started re-posting what was lost yesterday. It's really appreciated.
I'm currently exploring other options at this time...

Paul

thanks abaxas, however this could have happened with any host. Just twice in 8 months makes me ask lots of questions.

The answer is to be in control of the whole process and define what level of backup you need, then take it yourself.

www.loneuk.co.uk (north earth lotus car club)

We take backups every 6 hours which are replicated to a NAS at my house and cloud storage. Then we elected 2 members to have weekly backups (downloaded by sftp) so we always have something to fall back on.

Databases will crash, data will be lost, fires will start, etc. Just got to have the DR ready for when they do.

The answer is to be in control of the whole process and define what level of backup you need, then take it yourself.

www.loneuk.co.uk (north earth lotus car club)

We take backups every 6 hours which are replicated to a NAS at my house and cloud storage. Then we elected 2 members to have weekly backups (downloaded by sftp) so we always have something to fall back on.

Databases will crash, data will be lost, fires will start, etc. Just got to have the DR ready for when they do.

rsync every 3 hours the db methinks...

Do you get sufficient shell access to do that?

If you are happy/want someone else to take a backup. I'm happy to sync a copy too.

i know. good news is that it looks like we will soon have a nice shiny new VDS at no additional charge for the next year, so we shouldn't be seeing these issues again (hopefully!!) :)

they are supposedly mopping up after last night, however i'm still not convinced... :(

Glad the site is back, for those who have internet connection at home. Have I mentioned i don't have internet at the moment and how annoying dealing with BT is?

I think I might have referred to BT's support as plum sucking cockweasles. Though I might have just mentioned their process are not fit for purpose, I forget as it was a rather stressful experience that I didn't expect from at supplier of the 21c.

21CN - you mean the product that essentially Failed half way through the rollout as it cost too much??? ;)

You'd have to go some way tho to beat the incredible incompetence of Virgin mobile i experienced on behalf of my misses just before christmas! in fact it's still going on!!

I had fun telling an over seas call centre that BBC 2 was no longer working on my previous Virgin TV contract. She asked if I had subscribed to BBC 2, I said it was free, she asked why I had said it was 2 if it was 3. I gave up.
When Virgin fibre worked it was fast and good but I had signal strength issues every quarter. It wasn't available in the new house so most options were via a BT phone line so I got a good deal to go with them. It was like moving back to the dark ages. I remember 21CN during the design and it sounded like the future. Ha.

New replacement server attained.... Currently preparing for export/import..... :D it could be another long night!!

Reactions: JT.
Back
Top Bottom