What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found it! Donor Wiring

MadNat

Site Supporter
Anyone got some donor wiring looms they’d like to share?

I’ve got a very hacked Fish Tales - that need quite a bit of restoration. Wires and connectors would be very helpful.

Can be more specific once I find help from folks in here?

Thanks

Mike

Last edited:
Hey Mike, you do know a FIsh Tales loom is made just for that game. You can not use a look from one game in another.

What problem do you have with your loom? Has someone cut it previously?

Thanks gents.

Looking to make good some horrific hacking on a FT.

Could just buy new connectors and patch up new wire and label. But was hoping to keep the original look with some donor connectors populated with similar wire (not expecting an exact match) - to give an original neat look. Maybe I’m being too fussy?

Coin door is another restoration task - current coin door also has an ugly hack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of the 3 separate playfield looms (switch, lamp, and coils) which ones were you looking to fix? Are they all bad?

If it's only a few wires, you can get good replacement bi colour wire from swallowam - and I've got a few reels of certain colourways. Usually sods law would screw you by making the one bicolour you need unavailable anywhere, but you might get lucky.

Out of the 3 separate playfield looms (switch, lamp, and coils) which ones were you looking to fix? Are they all bad?

If it's only a few wires, you can get good replacement bi colour wire from swallowam - and I've got a few reels of certain colourways. Usually sods law would screw you by making the one bicolour you need unavailable anywhere, but you might get lucky.

There are quite a few issues - not just from the playfield looms.

I’ll take some pics - it’s really pretty ugly, many wires soldered directly to the IDC connector pins with no sockets - not sure why that was a good idea at the time.

Many random wires soldered to form ground for no clear reason, with others hanging loose.

Also the HV wires from the transformer to the power board had melted at some point and replaced with some 240V flex... so I’m not keen on turning it on until I’ve rebuilt to what looks as close to standard as much as possible. Then I can be relatively confident I won’t burn the house down!

Those secondary cables (hv from transformer) are transferable between machines of the same era, and are purchasable occasionally too (I bought a wpc89 one from Marcos a while back). They're certainly makable too if you want to get busy with the crimper.

Some images- bit tasty with the soldering iron...

e1af1d9c489fe841c0535943592f5eec.jpg

Interesting table lamp flex to reroute the melted HV wires from the transformer:
edcc52d1352ccad89e9dfc8051468413.jpg

Must be a global shortage of connectors...
acfdd8524c4df42ff3c01c7593966117.jpg

This driver board is now off to Jim at myPinballs for a bit of TLC.

Last edited:
Also a replacement BR hanging off the board, and a few hacked pins which look torched...
DSC_8122.JPG

Should be a crime for such abuse!

Hope to get this back to a fine standard.

I think this is part of the secondary loom but as you can see it has been modified!

Also have backbox to playfield loom

IMG_20190930_184854.jpg

Have loom sorted thanks.

Driver board repaired by Jim at myPinballs and due back soon.

Will post some pics of Jim’s work.

Back
Top Bottom