What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do people really keep a "pin stash" on hand at all times?

johnwhitfield

Site Supporter
Alias
John Whitfield
Following on from the £1.5k Tron discussion do people really keep enough to buy a pin on hand just in case something crops up? I can see people having a couple of hundred around the house and driving to the cashpoint for another £500 but if a 3k bargain turned up there's no way I'd just have that cash sitting around the house.

I hardly ever use cash to buy anything, even a trip to the corner shop is more likely to see me use a card than cash. Big weekly purchases such as shopping are always done online so it's cashless. I can't even use it for petrol as I only fill up about every 3 months. Probably the only time I use it is to tip in restaurants so the money actually goes to the staff rather than the owners.

If I sell a pin and the buyer gives me cash it's a real PITA as I've either got to trudge to the bank which will involve a special trip or I have to remember to spend cash whenever I go out and with high pin prices I'm more likely to burn through the cash than I would be if I banked it.

I get the impression that some people think arriving with cash will give them the edge in negotiations. For me I'm far more likely to give a discount for someone who pays by bank transfer and then gets Martin to do the pick up.

Am I alone on this one? Wind back 15 years and I used to run stalls so would always have cash on me. Nowadays more often than not my wallet will have nothing but cards in it.

Hell no i have bugger all savings and what I do have goes on flying my son over. The sale or trade of my current machine funds the next. And like you I rarely carry cash

I remember years ago when there was a £250 limit per day on cashpoints,having to borrow another £250 each from various family members because I wanted to but a car on a sunday and the guy wanted cash.It then took 3 days to pay them all back,as I lived miles from the bank and was at work during it's opening hours,you couldn't use other banks cashpoints like you can thesedays

I remember years ago when there was a £250 limit per day on cashpoints,having to borrow another £250 each from various family members because I wanted to but a car on a sunday and the guy wanted cash.It then took 3 days to pay them all back,as I lived miles from the bank and was at work during it's opening hours,you couldn't use other banks cashpoints like you can thesedays
They still have that limit although some are 300

Everyone should keep a material stash of cash, regardless of whether or not they might plan to buy a pinball machine with it

Remember the financial crash, the run on Northern Rock ? That weekend when NatWest had issues so folk could not use their accounts ? RBS was within hours of running out of cash before the uk government stepped in to bale it out

You get practically zero interest on savings so having a few grand in a shoebox in the loft makes perfect sense

Next line of defence is your rolex watch, internationally accepted as a store of value. It is portable and convertible into weapons, cash, food .... literally anywhere on earth

Then your secret stash of gold coins

When the day comes, pinball machines won't be that practical

about 3 years ago when i was at my buying and selling peak, i used to take £4K in rolled up notes to two or three shows a year, just in case. more than once i bought a new game for myself by virtue of being able to hand over the readies and drive it away. when a game is set up and for sale, nobody wants to have to break it down and take the bastard back home unsold, so on the last day there are (were) always bargains to be had.

Used to but no space so don't want to be tempted in any way as like the games I have and decided I need to get way deeper into games before selling and chasing the next;)

There are a few titles I would break all my rules for but chances are very slim as not seen one of the games I want for sale in the UK in the last 7 years. 80's titles, obscure:rolleyes:

I have a stash :)
Everyone should keep a material stash of cash, regardless of whether or not they might plan to buy a pinball machine with it

Remember the financial crash, the run on Northern Rock ? That weekend when NatWest had issues so folk could not use their accounts ? RBS was within hours of running out of cash before the uk government stepped in to bale it out

You get practically zero interest on savings so having a few grand in a shoebox in the loft makes perfect sense

Next line of defence is your rolex watch, internationally accepted as a store of value. It is portable and convertible into weapons, cash, food .... literally anywhere on earth

Then your secret stash of gold coins

When the day comes, pinball machines won't be that practical

This is so true, dont trust the banks, I keep it in the sofa :)

Attachments

• 20507265_1497134016999617_626458250075590969_o.jpg
    20507265_1497134016999617_626458250075590969_o.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 38
I have several accounts with banks I rarely use with a card but a token quid in them. so if sods law you need cash on a Sunday you can bacs to yourself and raid the ATM Last time I needed this was for Tron. Seller was known to me and happy to wait til Monday but I didn't want to risk it! Strike when hot as they say. Back in the day it was so disappointing arriving at an operator other side of the country to buy one game , get offered another you couldn't take due to ATM limits rather than lack of funds so I opened all these low balance accounts.

I miss pound notes...you could have a big roll in your pocket which felt great but buy a round of drinks and it vanished....

I hate not having any cash on me, and aim to have about £100 at any given point - for whatever reason.
Although I only ever pay for anything over £20 with my card.
Just force of habit now.

If I ever did get to the stage of having a pin-sized surplus in my account it would be spent instantly anyway

Back
Top Bottom